Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Berry to Toledo, Kelly makes team.

I love our bench. Kelly is what he is, a leader. He is not gonna set the world on fire statistically but come crunch time, he will deliver defensively. Pena will be a welcome relief from a game calling standpoint, no one thinks of that. Tuso is hit or miss just like a Raburn or Inge may be respectively. A great deal of diversity defensively and leadership on the bench (Santiago, Kelly, Pena). Do not under estimate the power of veteran leaders on the bench. They are the special and make championship teams. We have a great manager and excellent coaching to add. The Tigers are gonna win the World Series, wait and see.

:lmao:

First, how is Kelly a leader? Take his stats away, bad bat, average on D (at best) - what do you see that I don't that makes him a leader?

Santiago, lol. He might look good because we have Kelly and Pena.

Pena :hehe: We can't get a better back up C that at age 31 has done absolutely nothing?

If the Tigers win a title, it will be in spite of the bench not because of it. They need new blood, not same old retreads. I'm starting to think maybe we should have kept Nick C up at the ML team, even as a part time player.

The bench is brutal..If VMART gets hurt we'll be begging to get Delmon back.

Now I'm thinking you were joshing, when I see excellent manager and great coaching. My josh meeting can't seem to detect anymore..

:shrug:

Last edited:
I love our bench. Kelly is what he is, a leader. He is not gonna set the world on fire statistically but come crunch time, he will deliver defensively. Pena will be a welcome relief from a game calling standpoint, no one thinks of that. Tuso is hit or miss just like a Raburn or Inge may be respectively. A great deal of diversity defensively and leadership on the bench (Santiago, Kelly, Pena). Do not under estimate the power of veteran leaders on the bench. They are the special and make championship teams. We have a great manager and excellent coaching to add. The Tigers are gonna win the World Series, wait and see.
What are you smoking that makes you think Kelly or any of the other career offensive black hole backups are "veteran leaders"? I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not with this.

Our bench is terrible, Leyland is a pretty good manager, and our coaching staff is a mixed bag (go to hell, McClendon.) But the rest of the team is so good I still think we will win the Series, if not this year then very soon. It will NOT be because of our super shitty bench players, but much more likely despite them.

Game calling standpoint......the single most overrated/non-existent thing in all of baseball.

The phrase "he calls a good game" is a crutch people have used for mediocre catchers for ages. People tend to forget catchers get about 60% of the signs from the bench, and that the pitcher has the final say in the end.

Game calling standpoint......the single most overrated/non-existent thing in all of baseball.

The phrase "he calls a good game" is a crutch people have used for mediocre catchers for ages. People tend to forget catchers get about 60% of the signs from the bench, and that the pitcher has the final say in the end.
I remember when we signed him one of the reasons touted was he was "great at framing pitches". WHO FUCKING CARES.

Im seriously still pissed off we signed him rather than Kelly Shoppach.

I remember when we signed him one of the reasons touted was he was "great at framing pitches". WHO FUCKING CARES.

Im seriously still pissed off we signed him rather than Kelly Shoppach.

Hey...well....ummmm.....maybe it is because "he looks like a good ballplayer"?

I don't care what the statistics say....he is good because I seen it with my own eyes!

He forgot the most important part of our bench; Gene will be sitting on it, instead of standing cluelessly on the sidelines.

Back