Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

big floaty thing stuck in Suez Canal

Michchamp

Anybody else following this story?

a lot of speculation that hackers got into its GPS and intentionally wedged it sideways like that.

it does look like the boat's prior course drew a dick and balls in the Red Sea before going into the canal and running aground, which COULD be an accident or a coincidence, but I don't know. Seems to be sending a pretty clear message for an accident or coincidence

this has gummed up all the shipping that goes through the canal. I think it's day 2 of this, and from what I've read, the urgent attempts to clear the ship have all failed.

I hadn't seen the ships prior course, but it seems like there should have been a plan for this. Hard to believe there's never been a problem that resulted in a ship drifting enough to do this.

I hadn't seen the ships prior course, but it seems like there should have been a plan for this. Hard to believe there's never been a problem that resulted in a ship drifting enough to do this.

the official story (at least according to that article):
Lieutenant-General Osama Rabie, chairman of the Suez Canal Authority, said that some ships were being diverted to an older channel to help alleviate some of the traffic.

He said strong wind and a dust storm had caused bad visibility, and contributed to the ship running aground.​

Trade economists estimate shipping delays = 0.5-2% tariff in economic effect. When does the ship behind the ship turn around?

ship still stuck.

the shipping company that operates it gave a different reason than the Egyptians:
The Ever Given, which is owned by Evergreen, a Taiwanese shipping company, had been traveling in a northbound convoy when it ?suffered a black out,? shipping agent GAC said in a report. The term refers to a complete power failure aboard a vessel, which brings it to a standstill.​

Complete power failure... and then the crew just let it drift like that to wedge itself sideways, the worst possible outcome, and one that will undoubtedly expose the operator to huge civil lawsuits.

Reuters saying it could take weeks to free it.

I could have this wrong, but I heard on a podcast there's a sensor bulge (a structure that houses sensors and sticks out) on the hull of the ship that's damaged the wall, cut into it, locking the boat in place.

Well, bank, not wall

_117702227_77afde91-ed9d-472c-8583-44819714ca5a.jpg

boat big. tools to dig boat out, small.

apparently they don't have big enough tug boats there to move the ships that go through the canal. seems like a huge miss.

from the aerial photos, it doesn't look THAT bad. it's not perpendicular like the Austin Powers video. but I guess the sides of the canal are shallower, so it's wedged right in the sand.

pic shot:

210324-suez-block-mc-8263_5a7a5ae617340aec4a2e5a4a0cad78d9.fit-760w.JPG

like get one tug on the starboard bow, another on the port stern, and push.

Last edited by a moderator:
$400 million an hour. Going to take weeks. Owner of the ship has another ship in the area that was the 1st to divert around Africa (a 2 week diversion).

Haven't seen buildings or places I'm familiar with superimposed, but I read it's longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall.
iu

iu

I saw a headline saying they need to move 706,000 cubic feet of sand to free the boat. That's a bad unit for conveying size. I think that's 12 foot 3 inches deep covering an entire football field.

I saw a headline saying they need to move 706,000 cubic feet of sand to free the boat. That's a bad unit for conveying size. I think that's 12 foot 3 inches deep covering an entire football field.

I guess moving the sand in a way that doesn't result in more sand falling into the canal probably makes it even more of a challenge

I guess moving the sand in a way that doesn't result in more sand falling into the canal probably makes it even more of a challenge

Some people are saying the equipment there should be able to move that much sand in 10 hours, but yeah, might not be so straightforward.

Farm Policy@FarmPolicy
5h
The container ship stuck in the Suez Canal may delay nearly 7% of major U.S. #grain shipments, according to USDA and vessel data analyzed by Bloomberg

Elon Musk should offer to push it free with a big rocket and get in a twitter fight with someone.

Back