Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

big floaty thing stuck in Suez Canal

106860676-1617026504223-106860676-16170170142021-03-29t091103z_2107643567_rc2wkm93ccrg_rtrmadp_0_egypt-suezcanal-ship.jpg

Maybe they should always keep a few tugboats handy?

For a canal, there should be a way to run a cable to a winch. Like a huge tow truck chained to a pylon you punch into the ground. Should be able to pull a lot more than any tugboat.

I guess the only problem is you have to anchor it in the middle of the canal, and that's the part boats need to pass through.

I guess the only problem is you have to anchor it in the middle of the canal, and that's the part boats need to pass through.

Anchor it on the opposing side of the canal somewhere.

Like instead of all tug boat, you have a few 100 ton winches on trucks. 99% of the time, they probably wouldn't even need anchoring, but if they do, you drive a pylon into the ground they can hook to.

Last edited:
Anchor it on the opposing side of the canal somewhere.

Like instead of all tug boat, you have a few 100 ton winches on trucks. 99% of the time, they probably wouldn't even need anchoring, but if they do, you drive a pylon into the ground they can hook to.

I'm sold. I'm going to call Trump and see if he'll finance it

Logic should dictate that no ship longer than the canal is wide should be allowed to go through. That or widen the canal.

Logic should dictate that no ship longer than the canal is wide should be allowed to go through. That or widen the canal.

LOL, what? canals would have to be 1,000 feet wide then, and canal locks would be impossibly wide.

the ships like this one are probably too big, but the canal itself doesn't need to be as wide as the ship.

LOL, what? canals would have to be 1,000 feet wide then, and canal locks would be impossibly wide.

the ships like this one are probably too big, but the canal itself doesn't need to be as wide as the ship.

Well if one does not want to employ an actual solution that is one's prerogative, but it makes it challenging to argue the fault is solely with the ship and its crew when the operator of canal allows entry of ship that is longer than canal is wide, has provided a Pilot for navigation, have tugboats to assign as needed, and weather was a factor. Not saying the crew is innocent, but there is a shipload (pun intended) of responsibility on the part of the canal operators.

Last edited:
It depends on why it happened. If they've been getting lucky and boats should be getting stuck all the time, then more unsticking and sticking prevention technology would be wise. I still vote for huge winch trucks. But 1 boat getting stuck, temporarily, in over 100 years suggests to me that they don't need to worry too much about this too much more than they already do. But again, depends on why it happened and how likely it is to happen again.

The Egyptians are demanding $900MM USD to release the ship (link).

That's real money!

Back