Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Big Ten Week 1 Power Rankings

Michchamp

EAST:

1) Michigan
t2) Penn St
t2) Indiana
4) Rutgers
5) Maryland
6) MSU

State pretty much ended any discussion of who the worst team in the East is by the end of the first half.

WEST:

1) Wisconsin
t2) Northwestern
t2) Iowa
t2) Minnesota
t2) Purdue
6) Nebraska
7) Illinois

Hard to know who is good in the West after only one game. Other than Wisconsin, and Northwestern, they all looked average, except for Illinois, who looked bad.

I don't think Nebraska is as bad as the score looked. It was competitive for a while, until the refs started bailing OSU out with phantom PI and targeting calls.

East

1 OSU
2 UM
3 Indiana
4 RU
5 PSU
6 MSU
7 Mary

West

1 Wis
2 NW
3 Purdue
4 MN
5 Iowa
6 Neb
7 Ill

Power Ranking is based on actual games played, right? Not a guess of perceived power

Michigan kicked the crap out a of a ranked team on the road. The game was at least as, and it is probably more, impressive than OSU's win at home against a crappy Nebraska squad. Yes, OSU scored with like 5 seconds to go to get over 50, but I don't think that makes that much of a difference.

I still think OSU is better than Michigan, not trying to argue that, but Michigan's win was more impressive.

Last edited:
Gus Johnson was drooling all over that quick NEB TD. I bet they go 4-4, at best.

It appears there are a number of different media organizations that do their own power rankings, so it isn’t etched in stone…so who cares?

I think it’s fine if we do our own DSF power rankings – we are Media board ourselves what the hell right? - And it’s fine with me if Michamp continues to do the power rankings. I’m not going to do, for example, a competitive power rankings post myself, although now that I am posting this I was laughing at the notion.

I do think Michamp should include OSU, I have no problem if he puts OSU behind Michigan. It’s fine with me if he puts OSU last. Every prognosticator is entitled to their opinion right?

As I said in the preseason rankings thread, OSU is included in the "schools that pay their players" power rankings, where they come in 4th, behind Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia.

Ahead of Florida, Oregon, USC, LSU, the rest of the SEC except Vanderbilt, and FSU.

Ohio State is better than Georgia. They have more talent and they're better coached. Georgia is kind of the ND of the SEC - obviously, they're much better than ND and their coach isn't a clown, but they're the team that beats up on lesser opponents but only beats the better teams once every 4 or 5 years.

Ohio State is better than Georgia. They have more talent and they're better coached. Georgia is kind of the ND of the SEC - obviously, they're much better than ND and their coach isn't a clown, but they're the team that beats up on lesser opponents but only beats the better teams once every 4 or 5 years.

until they stop getting crushed by the other paid-player teams, they'll be 4th or worse in these separate power rankings.

until they stop getting crushed by the other paid-player teams, they'll be 4th or worse in these separate power rankings.

Since the playoff era, OSU only has one bad loss and one close loss to Clemson. OSU has not lost more than 2 games in a season, made the playoff 3 times and won a NC. They've beaten 'Bama, something GA hasn't done and have 5 wins against top 5 teams and 12 wins against top 10 teams. Georgia has gotten throttled by 'Bama and LSU (and Ole Miss). The Bulldogs have 2 wins against the top 5 and 8 against the top 10. GA has lost 3 or more games 3 times in 6 years, only made the playoff once and is 0-5 against 'Bama & LSU and has only beaten Clemson in 2014 when they were ranked 16th. They are 6-1 against Auburn, but Auburn has been unranked a lot of that time.

I know it's hard for uofm fans to give OSU credit, but by any objective measure, they're better than Georgia.

Last edited:
Back