Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

blowing the lead in the 9th inning...

hellifino

didn't surprise me,Joba just had a bad game...

WHAT DID SURPRISE THE SHIT OUT OF ME, WAS BRINGING IN COKE,WITH ONLY A 3 RUN LEAD LATE IN THE GAME.

Joba has been pretty good for us lately, and add to that the fact the Red Sox know him and his stuff very well and I'm not going to lose my shit over last night.

As a person I don't care for Joba, his antics when he was a Yankee made me upset we signed him, but it's hard to argue the numbers he's put up so far, including last night.

didn't surprise me,Joba just had a bad game...

WHAT DID SURPRISE THE SHIT OUT OF ME, WAS BRINGING IN COKE,WITH ONLY A 3 RUN LEAD LATE IN THE GAME.

Woulda surprised the shit outta me too, especially since the Tigers were clinging to a one-run lead, with the score being 3-2...:hmm:

Joba has been pretty good for us lately, and add to that the fact the Red Sox know him and his stuff very well and I'm not going to lose my shit over last night.

As a person I don't care for Joba, his antics when he was a Yankee made me upset we signed him, but it's hard to argue the numbers he's put up so far, including last night.

He has been our best reliever this season and my reaction was much the same as yours. All that said, it sucked being right about thinking we couldn't hold on. This team does apparently need five runs to win most nights.

Too many concerns on this club. Blowing leads is one of the biggest.. But it was a bad loss no to ways about it...

Last edited:
This team has been tough to watch lately. Not a whole lot worse than staying up for a late Sunday game that goes 4hrs and finishes the way last night did.

This team has been tough to watch lately. Not a whole lot worse than staying up for a late Sunday game that goes 4hrs and finishes the way last night did.

OMG you had to stay up past 11? Such a tragedy.... lol

And @ESPN slobbers all over Ortiz for being "Clutch." He's not. They sited his 25 HRs in the 8th inning or later that gave his team the lead. That's 1.3 a season.

Fangraphs has a very handy stat for evaluating clutch performances, called, imaginatively enough, "Clutch." Without getting too lost in the math, Clutch compares a player's overall performance versus his performance in high-leverage situations, when a positive outcome has more impact on the outcome of the game. A Clutch score of zero equates to the league average, with 2.0 being "excellent" and -2.0 being choke city.

For his career, Ortiz has a -0.29 Clutch score. To put it plainly, he's been below average when it matters most.
Article

Last edited:

Par for the course when playing vs NY or Boston, especially on the road.

Latest game evar was vs NYY @ CoPa in late August of '07, when severe thunderstorms delayed the start to ~11pm and the game ended @ 3:30 am in the bottom 11th on a Guillen 3-run walkoff homer during a near downpour.

Last edited:
Woulda surprised the shit outta me too, especially since the Tigers were clinging to a one-run lead, with the score being 3-2...:hmm:

I stand corrected. Even worse with only a one run lead.

And @ESPN slobbers all over Ortiz for being "Clutch." He's not. They sited his 25 HRs in the 8th inning or later that gave his team the lead. That's 1.3 a season.

Fangraphs has a very handy stat for evaluating clutch performances, called, imaginatively enough, "Clutch." Without getting too lost in the math, Clutch compares a player's overall performance versus his performance in high-leverage situations, when a positive outcome has more impact on the outcome of the game. A Clutch score of zero equates to the league average, with 2.0 being "excellent" and -2.0 being choke city.

For his career, Ortiz has a -0.29 Clutch score. To put it plainly, he's been below average when it matters most.
Article

Clutch last 3 years from Fangraphs

1. Ellsbury 3.47
10. A. Avila 2.61

39. P. Fielder 1.26
56. V. Martinez 0.86
82. A. Jackson 0.26
92. J. Peralta 0.08

106. M. Cabrera -0.09
125. I. Kinsler -0.35
129. B. Boesch -0.40
133. T. Hunter -0.48
163. O. Infante -1.13
192. R. Davis -1.89
201. A. Dirks -2.38

211. D. Ortiz -2.73
213. C. Granderson -2.78
217. D. Young -3.17

226. (LAST) J. Reddick -4.60

I am not a proponent one way or the other. I am just providing the data.

Clutch last 3 years from Fangraphs

1. Ellsbury 3.47
10. A. Avila 2.61

39. P. Fielder 1.26
56. V. Martinez 0.86
82. A. Jackson 0.26
92. J. Peralta 0.08

106. M. Cabrera -0.09
125. I. Kinsler -0.35
129. B. Boesch -0.40
133. T. Hunter -0.48
163. O. Infante -1.13
192. R. Davis -1.89
201. A. Dirks -2.38

211. D. Ortiz -2.73
213. C. Granderson -2.78
217. D. Young -3.17

226. (LAST) J. Reddick -4.60

I am not a proponent one way or the other. I am just providing the data.

I have no idea how the figure out those stats. Is a grand slam in the ALCS = to a hit in the 9th inning of a day game in April?

I stand corrected. Even worse with only a one run lead.

Hey, this Board knows I am consistent with my hatred of all things Phil Coke. But last night he entered in a tie-game situation and left with a one-run lead. He made it interesting, but did his job.

No, this one's all on Joba (unless you want to blame the offense for only scoring 3 runs, which I'm not going to do either).

Hey, this Board knows I am consistent with my hatred of all things Phil Coke. But last night he entered in a tie-game situation and left with a one-run lead. He made it interesting, but did his job.

No, this one's all on Joba (unless you want to blame the offense for only scoring 3 runs, which I'm not going to do either).

Also, by allowing two base runners, he allowed the Red Sox to turn the lineup over, which allowed Ortiz to come to the plate sooner.

The 1-2 pitch to the leadoff hitter was garbage... The Hitter had just whiffed badly on a slider inside and they did not go back to it for a waste pitch.

OMG you had to stay up past 11? Such a tragedy.... lol

Yeah, yeah... I was more pissed that I invested nearly 4hrs into a game to see it end that way. I will say though, staying up late on work nights isn't great either. That game wrapped up around 11:45PM, I believe, then it probably took me another half an hour to fall asleep. It's not too enjoyable answering the bell at 6:15AM and trying to be on your game all day at work when you are dragging ass. A win might have helped me feel better about that choice.

I didn't say Coke pitched bad,I SAID IT SURPRISED THE SHIT OUT OF ME, THAT AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON THAT THEY EVEN WOULD TAKE A CHANCE USING HIM.. lol

I didn't say Coke pitched bad,I SAID IT SURPRISED THE SHIT OUT OF ME, THAT AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON THAT THEY EVEN WOULD TAKE A CHANCE USING HIM.. lol

That was shocking to me as well. Especially at home. Stadium might have burned down if Coke gave it up as he is wont to do.

Yeah, yeah... I was more pissed that I invested nearly 4hrs into a game to see it end that way. I will say though, staying up late on work nights isn't great either. That game wrapped up around 11:45PM, I believe, then it probably took me another half an hour to fall asleep. It's not too enjoyable answering the bell at 6:15AM and trying to be on your game all day at work when you are dragging ass. A win might have helped me feel better about that choice.

You should try getting up at 4:30 then.

Back