Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bo Ryan

gobluebigjon

How strange is that?
Seems it takes the Wisconsin fans by surprise as well.

Last edited:
sounds like he did it to give his assistant coach some experience: "Ryan initially implied, if not said, he'd retire after the 2015-16 season and that he wanted Gard to succeed him. But sources told CBS Sports that Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez would never guarantee Gard that opportunity, which led to Ryan publicly stating he no longer knew when he'd retire. Alvarez and Ryan were never again on the so-called same page."

He was already sick of the fact that his team can no longer play "mug people" defense. That's why he retired.

Also hated the fact that they couldn't hold the ball for 33-34 seconds anymore.

Last edited:
Well, that and last year's team ain't walking through that door anymore and that was his best chance to win the big one. They fell short...again.

This year's team is considerably worse than UW has been for a long while.

Some timeline things have come out about him retiring after the semester. Ryan planned on retiring before the season but hung around so the interim could be with his dad who was diagnosed with cancer during the season.

I try really hard to dislike Bo Ryan, but the guy is a good dude. And he's won a ton.

Some timeline things have come out about him retiring after the semester. Ryan planned on retiring before the season but hung around so the interim could be with his dad who was diagnosed with cancer during the season.

I try really hard to dislike Bo Ryan, but the guy is a good dude. And he's won a ton.

He's a great coach and seems like a good guy.

I just hate his style of basketball.

Well, identities really stick with programs no matter who comes in. Oregon's always going to be a high-flying team. Alabama is pro style. For the most part, when a culture is established, it's damn hard to change. And Bo Ryan didn't change what Wisconsin was doing. Dick Bennett established that ugly ball before Bo.

Last edited:
Well, identities really stick with programs no matter who comes in. Oregon's always going to be a high-flying team. Alabama is pro style. For the most part, when a culture is established, it's damn hard to change. And Bo Ryan didn't change what Wisconsin was doing. Dick Bennett established that ugly ball before Bo.

Very true. Bennett was probably worse. I have hated Wisconsin basketball since I was a little kid.

Shitty time when the team is 7-5 and the tourney streak is in jeopardy. It seems like he's jumping ship on a lousy team. If he wanted to hand the program over he should have left a lot earlier to let gard have more practice time with the team. He's trying to save face and have people remember last year as his final season.

Shitty time when the team is 7-5 and the tourney streak is in jeopardy. It seems like he's jumping ship on a lousy team. If he wanted to hand the program over he should have left a lot earlier to let gard have more practice time with the team. He's trying to save face and have people remember last year as his final season.

As much as I hate to say it, I would guess you are right. He wants to be remembered for last year. I appreciate Ryan even though I never liked him. He won a lot of games and did it with lesser talent for the most part.
Hope it's not a health issue, but if it isn't, he quit on this team and that's a lousy way to go out.

As a Madison resident: not as many grown men crying on local sports radio compared to when Favre retired, but lots of pre-emptive radio/TV broadcasts with 24 hours of breaking BR news.

BS that the powers that be are surprised by this (Media, Other UW hangers on of note). The Red Cedar board prophetically called this shot the moment he "unretired". It made sense in the summer and it came true. Alvarez and BR knocked heads and BR had Barry by the short ones given the timeframe. And he we are...

And FWIW, many locals thought they were still in STILL in NC contention....mon dieux Wisconsin is a small town.

then again I thought Harbaugh would bring home hist first NC next month. sigh

As it was reported, the guy was planning on retiring before the season started but stuck on board so the interim coach could handle personal business with his father sick with cancer. The semester is up, and the dude retired.

We can try and spin it all we want that he's some jerk who just wanted to go out on top, but I'll believe his side. He's been nothing but classy off the court, and the dude wins. He's got the same thing going on with Connor Cook. People are trying to find reasons to dislike him, but they are all really minor.

:yay:
As it was reported, the guy was planning on retiring before the season started but stuck on board so the interim coach could handle personal business with his father sick with cancer. The semester is up, and the dude retired.

We can try and spin it all we want that he's some jerk who just wanted to go out on top, but I'll believe his side. He's been nothing but classy off the court, and the dude wins. He's got the same thing going on with Connor Cook. People are trying to find reasons to dislike him, but they are all really minor.

With you on that

seems that way, except for being completely out of character for him.

Would he have retired if they were 11-1? I doubt it.

How do you know? He was supposed to have a pretty solid team coming into the season, and he was planning on retiring even then.

How do you know? He was supposed to have a pretty solid team coming into the season, and he was planning on retiring even then.
Of course I don't know for sure but I can speculate. You're naive if you think a 7-5 record with a number of bad losses didn't play into the decision.

A solid team? They lost two 1st rounders, Nigel hayes might be a second team all big ten player and they have a functional pg in Koenig but that roster doesn't have much.

When a coach retires abruptly you question why he did that? With the team struggling mightily it raises an eyebrow as to his motivation, possibly protecting his legacy with his final season being his worst. I just think it's shitty to jump off a sinking ship, either retire after last season or this one. He should finish shat he started.

of course you do, and of course you assume thats the reason, because youre an extreme Bo Ryan hater. If Bo Ryan ever took a coaching position at Michigan you would probably crap yourself and go catatonic for a week.

Back