Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bounty program? That's shady...

I remember when some team was playing the Bears, probably '85, and a player had names on his towel. He had Walter Peyton, and a few other bears players. I thought it was funny. He'll cross a guy off if he got him good. Lol.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I remember when some team was playing the Bears, probably '85, and a player had names on his towel. He had Walter Peyton, and a few other bears players. I thought it was funny. He'll cross a guy off if he got him good. Lol.

This ain't that NFL. I miss that NFL.

Yeah, I don't have huge issue with this. However, I understand why the league has to get up in arms about it. I assume all defensive players want to hit you hard enough to knock you out of the game. That's just the nature of the sport. We ooohhh and aaahhhh and cheer loudly for bone crushing hits.

Now if you are trying to cheap shot guys then that's not going to play out well across the league but back in the day they used to do everything under the sun to opposing players. It's the nature of this sport.

Okay, had to look, but '86 and it was Charles Martin of the Packers. Here's one of his hits, a late one at that on Jim McMahon. If you look closely at the end you can see his towel with names on it.

[flash=350,287:jbfph44d]http://www.youtube.com/v/lTLlaMY_9PM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:jbfph44d]
</td><td valign="top">
<html><head><title>Banner</title><style>html, body {margin:0;padding:0;}</style></head>
<body>
<script type="text/javascript">
var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");
var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);
if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)
{
if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)
document.write('+']');
else
document.write('+']');
}
else
{
document.write('');
}
</script>
<noscript>

</noscript>

</body>
</html>

</td></tr></table>

I got no problems with it , as long as they are clean hits and not cheap shots.

I have no problems with it either. I do think that things like that should be kept from the media though...

This is definitely one of those stories that once the media gets a hold of it they run with it and make it sound as bad as possible. Already on ESPN radio the guy is saying " theres SERIOUS SERIOOUS TROUBLE IN New Orleans!". Goodells drops the hammer and he is also heavily influenced by the media from what i can tell....im sure theres some sort of fine. Didnt Williams leave already though?....if so, probably cant suspend him. Like suspending a Dcord would matter that much.

Heard they might lose 2nd and 3rd this year and 1st next year. Close to a million in fines for the team, and other fines for Payton, Williams, Loomis, and other coaches/staff.

Putting a bounty like that encourages cheap shots, and cheap shots don't belong in the game.

That Vikings/Saints game with Favre being killed makes more sense now.

Are you telling they could lost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for this? Dammnnnn!

Funny how Darren Sharper comes out says there was never a "Bounty Program" and is outraged by the thought of it. Meanwhile, Greg Williams (former DC) comes out and admits it was wrong and they never should have done it....lol.

Admit it, Sharper. You're busted, you tard.

As for bounties in professional sports. It happens and it WILL NEVER stop. No matter what Goodell says or does about it. It's been happening for years. Nowadays it's a big risk though, because of all the fines, losing draft picks and whatnot.

Hell, even when i played, there were bounties on guys. And i played for free. Imagine what some of these guys would do for some serious cash?

No one wants to be a snitch on their team, but players get traded, released, and sign with others due to FA. So what happens when a player on O or D lines up next to a player on his new team, who he knows was the reward/target of a bounty by his old team that they are playing twice per season?

Poll on ESPN on what they should do, fine or suspension or lose draft picks or all of the above and every state voted all of the about except Louisiana who went with fine followed by none of the above, lol.

The part about this story I hate is how the media is portraying them as dirty players who did dirty hits.....dude this game is on national television and weve never heard anything about new orleans being dirty before. What dirty hits are they referring to? If they were dirty they would have been penalized and fined....I could be wrong here but I thought new orleans was one of the least penalized teams in the league. This should be a small story that once again was overblown by the media imo and what they are saying about the team doesnt translate to when ive watched them. Paying to injure people in theory is wrong...I get it. But, dont start labeling players and the team as a dirty team....cause its plain bs.

mhughes0021 said:
The part about this story I hate is how the media is portraying them as dirty players who did dirty hits.....dude this game is on national television and weve never heard anything about new orleans being dirty before. What dirty hits are they referring to? If they were dirty they would have been penalized and fined....I could be wrong here but I thought new orleans was one of the least penalized teams in the league. This should be a small story that once again was overblown by the media imo and what they are saying about the team doesnt translate to when ive watched them. Paying to injure people in theory is wrong...I get it. But, dont start labeling players and the team as a dirty team....cause its plain bs.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. It will be interesting to see if the penalty numbers go up next year. Being a media darling like NO has been and NE has been definitely has its perks as it seems many no calls and many calls go in the direction of "fan favorites" regularly. Now that the spot light is on NO we may very well see their total penalties take a jump. Look at all of the calls that our defensive line gets due to their reputation! Borderline plays that may have been allowed last year for NO may not go their way next year due to this negative spotlight.

i can honestly say that within the last 5 years i can only think of 1 person that when they hit someone it seemed like it was his intent to kill the guy not just tackle him....and thats Harrison. Ive seen stupid penalties, late hits, blind side sacks, cheap shots....none of which i saw and automatically thought damn he was trying to fucking kill that guy....except harrison. And even in that case i think its just the mere fact that hes bigger and stronger than the guy hes laying out and hes a dumbass. Not that in that split second hes thinking ohhhh geeeee here we gooooo....im gonna get $2000! The whole idea is stupid...you just dont think that way when youre on the football field.

Uh oh, now they are looking into the Redskins when Greg Williams coached there. Specifically the game where Peyton Manning hurt his neck. Queue the music

Back