Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Boyle To Start

detroit1811

The Lions plan to start Tim Boyle in Week 11 against the Browns.
Tim Boyle is a third-year player, who went undrafted out of Eastern Kentucky. He has four career passing attempts. It's probably not going to go great. Although, Jared Goff was horrible while attempting to play through an oblique injury against the Steelers, so Boyle shouldn't be seen as a major downgrade for the Lions' offense. Of course, this is a passing game that most recently saw T.J. Hockenson produce zero receiving yards, while D'Andre Swift had just five receiving yards. Boyle will take on a struggling Browns defense, and offers the Lions at least a glimmer of hope compared to an injured Goff.

I mean can be really be much worse then Goff? Goff has 1 passing TD?s in his last 5 games. Not to mention all the garbage time opportunities he has had to bad his stats against the Bengals and Eagles. The fact that he had negative passing yards after the 1st quarter in two of the past four games has to be a record of futility.

I bet that FOX would love to replace the Lions-Bears on Thanksgiving Day for an actual NFL football game.

Boyle is terrible. How do we even have these guys on our roster? He was worse than blough the entire pre season. Should change the title of this thread to "lions are all out."

Yet another idiotic decision by our meat head.

Can it get worse? Sure it can. I mean, I remember 2008 when Danny Safetied himself. Even Goff has yet to do that...though I would NOT put it past him since he throws out of bounds on 4th downs consistently.

So yes... it CAN be worse...but we are pretty darn close to that Low Bar.

Boyle is terrible. How do we even have these guys on our roster? He was worse than blough the entire pre season. Should change the title of this thread to "lions are all out."

What? Boyle was Rodgers backup for a few years and played relatively well in preseason with them when given a shot. Who would you rather have as a backup that is out there? Not like the market is littered with solid backups? Blough was not good when he came on in relief of Stafford a couple years ago. Boyle has never started an NFL game. Give him a shot what do we have to lose? Odds are he will suck just as bad as Goff, or maybe worse, but now your complaining about this? What the hell did you expect these guys to do in one off-season in the situation they were in?

I get you knocking certain things, but this one makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Last edited:
I just checked FA QB's and you are looking at Jeff Driskel, Josh Johnson, RG3, Nathan Peterman, Blake Bortles, and Nick Mullens as the biggest names. Would say to call any of those guys a solid backup QB at this stage is probably a stretch. Only guy who would have interested me was Gardner Minshew when he was traded for a late rounder. I think he is a solid backup and potentially an upgrade over Goff.

No sure if the decision to start Boyle over David Blough can be classified as idiotic.

I do think Blough outplayed Boyle in pre-season.....but you act like he's deciding on Boyle over Aaron Rodgers. Either way it's gonna be a shit show.

But yes, I would also start Blough.

I just checked FA QB's and you are looking at Jeff Driskel, Josh Johnson, RG3, Nathan Peterman, Blake Bortles, and Nick Mullens as the biggest names. Would say to call any of those guys a solid backup QB at this stage is probably a stretch. Only guy who would have interested me was Gardner Minshew when he was traded for a late rounder. I think he is a solid backup and potentially an upgrade over Goff.

Guys the Lions could get this off-season that are i believe are better than Goff.

1. Taylor Heinicke - To me, if Washington made him available....I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he is a solid NFL QB and one of the best backups in the league.

2. Minshew - I would put his ability to read defenses on par with Goff.....but he is fearless and would make SO MANY more plays happen because he is not afraid to throw it downfield.

3. Trubisky - I think we can all agree Nagy is a moron. I would give Trubisky a chance to prove he is better than he was his last 2 years in Chicago.

4. Marcus Mariota - If he could stay healthy I would like to see what he could do.

Guys the Lions could get this off-season that are i believe are better than Goff.

1. Taylor Heinicke - To me, if Washington made him available....I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he is a solid NFL QB and one of the best backups in the league.

2. Minshew - I would put his ability to read defenses on par with Goff.....but he is fearless and would make SO MANY more plays happen because he is not afraid to throw it downfield.

3. Trubisky - I think we can all agree Nagy is a moron. I would give Trubisky a chance to prove he is better than he was his last 2 years in Chicago.

4. Marcus Mariota - If he could stay healthy I would like to see what he could do.

Might as well just keep Goff and tank for QB in '23.

I guarantee Boyle will put up better numbers than Goff did last week. Goof is horrendous, all Boyle has to do is complete a single pass over 10 yards and it?s an improvement

I guarantee Boyle will put up better numbers than Goff did last week. Goof is horrendous, all Boyle has to do is complete a single pass over 10 yards and it?s an improvement

At this point that's all I'm asking. Win (lol) or lose, I'm tired of watching Captain Checkdown dump the ball off.

You think Boyles going to let it out? He's thrown 4 passes in his career.

Last edited:
You think Boyles going to let it out? He's thrown 4 passes in his career.

This is the kind of game that can buy him a couple more years in this league as a backup. He's a fool if he doesn't at least try to improve the offense.

Have a couple Green Bay friends that would've rather had him than Jordan Love.

Last edited:

If he throws 2 TD?s in 5 weeks he is better than Goff

This is the kind of game that can buy him a couple more years in this league as a backup. He's a fool if he doesn't at least try to improve the offense.

Have a couple Green Bay friends that would've rather had him than Jordan Love.

Love's young and only played one game. I'd make that trade in a heart beat just on the possibility Love might be good. Boyle and Campbell I suspect short. 120 yards this week I also think we will run like last week. Or at least try to.

Last edited:
No sure if the decision to start Boyle over David Blough can be classified as idiotic.

I do think Blough outplayed Boyle in pre-season.....but you act like he's deciding on Boyle over Aaron Rodgers. Either way it's gonna be a shit show.

But yes, I would also start Blough.
There's nothing Boyle did this off season to make me think he should even start for a high school team.

Kaepernick is still out there. He could not be any worse than Boyle or Blough. He may not be better than Goff but we have a low QB bar this season.

Kaepernick is still out there. He could not be any worse than Boyle or Blough. He may not be better than Goff but we have a low QB bar this season.

Absolutely not, he said the NFL is a modern day slavery system he?s not interested in football

Absolutely not, he said the NFL is a modern day slavery system he?s not interested in football

I'm sick of hearing about that fuckin' guy. How is he better? Based on not playing for 5 years? He was a marginal QB and 5 years later he's be worthless. His QB rating was sub 90.

Back