Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bulletin board material

Mentioning the streak is what most MSU fans point to it was a blanket statement for all MSU fan's just to clarify.. Glad to see that and knew we had a bad coach as well... Something of a era most Michigan fan's want to forget. Points for both of us... Carry on... It's going to be a fun week LOL

Ouch! bigguns, you should know by now that I'm not "most MSU fans". Ha!

It will indeed be a good week - I can't wait to get on that plane Friday night, even if I have to spend Friday night in ann arbor...

I've "hooped" on playgrounds that have been written up in Sports Illustrated. And I still think WMCJ is a bad movie. That's like saying if you didn't like Wildcats, you must not have played high school football.

To each their own, but let's not put Golden Hawn as a football coach on the same level as WMCJ. At least the things in WMCJ could have happened. Billy Crystal playing Michael Jordan in a movie is more believable than Goldie Hawn turning the worst football team in the district into a championship team. Wildcats was awful. Really awful.

Last edited:
I had the same thought. "Congrats. You beat JLS" = "Congrats. You beat RR."

Except RR had the worst record of any Michigan coach, setting a 130 something year low point and breaking a 3 decade long bowl streak. Under JLS, MSU's win % was about the same as the winning % going back to 1980.

JLS' win % was the worst in my lifetime. Even Bobby Williams, who never won more than 3 B1G games in one year, had a better overall win % than JLS' pathetic 45.8%. The point is, MSU was never worse in my (and certainly not Hart's) lifetime than when he played at Michigan. Trash talking that team from a guy who pretty much peaked as a freshman doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:
most of this shit is pretty stupid. Little Brother, Ohio **, that team up north, etc.

JLS' win % was the worst in my lifetime. Even Bobby Williams, who never won more than 3 B1G games in one year, had a better overall win % than JLS' pathetic 45.8%. The point is, MSU was never worse in my (and certainly not Hart's) lifetime than when he played at Michigan. Trash talking that team from a guy who pretty much peaked as a freshman doesn't really bother me.

It's not equivalent. JLS wasn't as much of a drop off. JLS would have had a better record that Bobby Williams if he had just one more win. Just 5 more wins over his 4 year career and he'd top the all-time average (and Saban for than matter.) JLS was not much of an aberration from the Spartan norm. Michigan under RR was a tire fire with a winning % roughly half of what it was the rest of my lifetime.

To each their own, but let's not put Golden Hawn as a football coach on the same level as WMCJ. At least the things in WMCJ could have happened. Billy Crystal playing Michael Jordan in a movie is more believable than Goldie Hawn turning the worst football team in the district into a championship team. Wildcats was awful. Really awful.

we're getting a little off topic here but, believable? Didn't Rosie Perez' character in WMCJ spend her days studying things like "words that begin with the letter Q" so that she could get "rich" by getting on and winning Jeopardy and then she got on Jeopardy and got "rich" by winning? If that and an unathletic 5'10" woody harrelson dunking on 2 playground legends is believable I have a bridge from Detroit to Canada that I would like to sell to you.

Looking at the Spartan wikipedia page, Dantonio has been MSU's best coach since they joined the Big Ten (unless you count Munn, who retired after taking MSU to the Rose Bowl the year they joined.) The winning % under Saban was actually less than MSU's all-time average.

we're getting a little off topic here but, believable? Didn't Rosie Perez' character in WMCJ spend her days studying things like "words that begin with the letter Q" so that she could get "rich" by getting on and winning Jeopardy and then she got on Jeopardy and got "rich" by winning? If that and an unathletic 5'10" woody harrelson dunking on 2 playground legends is believable I have a bridge from Detroit to Canada that I would like to sell to you.

It's more believable than Goldie Hawn coaching football. Plus WMCJ is more about the hustle and the comedy than the actual sport.

Last edited:
Uh oh. Bulletin board material coming out from Sparty. Max Bullough says "We should win this game". Get that up in the locker room now! Hell, students might as well post it all over campus!

Uh oh. Bulletin board material coming out from Sparty. Max Bullough says "We should win this game". Get that up in the locker room now! Hell, students might as well post it all over campus!

I'm shocked!! Just awful. Classless.

It starts with the leadership you know. I heard Dantonio said the game would be "fun" on TV.

It's not equivalent. JLS wasn't as much of a drop off. JLS would have had a better record that Bobby Williams if he had just one more win. Just 5 more wins over his 4 year career and he'd top the all-time average (and Saban for than matter.) JLS was not much of an aberration from the Spartan norm. Michigan under RR was a tire fire with a winning % roughly half of what it was the rest of my lifetime.

and if my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. this is nonsense. Nick Saban inherited a team that was 16 & 18 (11 & 23 counting the 1994 forfeits) the prior 3 years and he never had a losing record overall or in the B1G. JLS inherited a team that was 16 & 19 and he was sub .500 3 out of 4 years and was 1 & 7 in the B1G his last year. In his 1 winning season he was 8-5 a year in which he lost to Louisiana Tech (he was coach of the football team, not lady's hoops). The biggest win of JLS' career was beating 20th ranked Minnesota. Regardless of records George Perles and Nick Saban coached teams clearly had better defenses than what JLS put on the field. There is no comparison. Also, Michigan under RR has nothing to do with the fact that hart played against the worst defenses MSU has fielded in decades.

and if my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle. this is nonsense. Nick Saban inherited a team that was 16 & 18 (11 & 23 counting the 1994 forfeits) the prior 3 years and he never had a losing record overall or in the B1G. JLS inherited a team that was 16 & 19 and he was sub .500 3 out of 4 years and was 1 & 7 in the B1G his last year. In his 1 winning season he was 8-5 a year in which he lost to Louisiana Tech (he was coach of the football team, not lady's hoops). The biggest win of JLS' career was beating 20th ranked Minnesota. Regardless of records George Perles and Nick Saban coached teams clearly had better defenses than what JLS put on the field. There is no comparison. Also, Michigan under RR has nothing to do with the fact that hart played against the worst defenses MSU has fielded in decades.

Blah. Blah. Blah. JLS's win % wasn't much worse than what you should have been used to at the time. RR was. Much worse.

Blah. Blah. Blah. JLS's win % wasn't much worse than what you should have been used to at the time. RR was. Much worse.

His defenses certainly were worse - and he's 10 points below Perles' average and 13 points below Saban's and even worse than Bobby Williams. And again, what does michigan under RR have to do w/ the fact that hart ran against the worst defenses MSU has fielded in decades?

Last edited:
His defenses certainly were worse - and he's 10 points below Perles' average and 13 points below Saban's and even worse than Bobby Williams. And again, what does michigan under RR have to do w/ the fact that hart ran against the worst defenses MSU has fielded in decades?

You give Hart no credit for his performances against MSU, so we should give MSU no credit for beating Michigan during the RR years? Got it. Done.

You give Hart no credit for his performances against MSU, so we should give MSU no credit for beating Michigan during the RR years? Got it. Done.

again, I couldn't care less what you give MSU credit for. And again, I'm not talking up the streak. But saying hart was mediocre says nothing about michigan as a team. I will say this - putting Mike Hart on RR's teams probably wouldn't alter RR's record against MSU or overall for that matter.

again, I couldn't care less what you give MSU credit for. And again, I'm not talking up the streak. But saying hart was mediocre says nothing about michigan as a team. I will say this - putting Mike Hart on RR's teams probably wouldn't alter RR's record against MSU or overall for that matter.

Well that's because Hart couldn't play 11 positions on defense and be a defensive coordinator at the same time.

His defenses certainly were worse - and he's 10 points below Perles' average and 13 points below Saban's. And again, what does michigan under RR have to do w/ the fact that hart ran against the worst defenses MSU has fielded in decades?

Have you not been following the thread? Your point was similar to an old Michigan dismissal of Dantonio's record that Spartans generally don't accept. Which got me to thinking about the comparison of the two arguments.

That got me to looking at MSU's recent history. I was surprised to find that compared to his recent predecessors, JLS wasn't that far off from average. That defies the common perception I think. I think it's postworthy. You called it nonsense.

You might want to break it down further and look at the the D rankings under JLS vs the prior couple decades or so, but I don't really see the significance since Hart wasn't talking up his own performance.

Last edited:
Have you not been following the thread? Your point was similar to an old Michigan dismissal of Dantonio's record that Spartans generally don't accept. Which got me to thinking about the comparison of the two arguments.

That got me to looking at MSU's recent history. I was surprised to find that compared to his recent predecessors, JLS wasn't that far off from average. That defies the common perception I think. I think it's postworthy. You called it nonsense.

You might want to break it down further and look at the the D rankings under JLS vs the prior couple decades or so, but I don't really see the significance since Hart wasn't talking up his own performance.

I have been following it - the point is Hart was a mediocre tailback whose trash talk is pretty meaningless. You can try to throw RR in my face all day but I've never said boo about the streak against RR anywhere and the only people who mentioned the streak in this thread are Michigan fans. It's not relevant.

I have been following it - the point is Hart was a mediocre tailback whose trash talk is pretty meaningless. You can try to throw RR in my face all day but I've never said boo about the streak against RR anywhere and the only people who mentioned the streak in this thread are Michigan fans. It's not relevant.

I'm not trying to throw RR in your face. You said way back that you've never been one of those Spartans that makes that claim and I took you at your word.

I'm the one that made a comparison between JLS and RR. I'm not accusing you of doing it. I looked into it and figured out that JLS is was not remotely as big a deviation from the norm as RR. In fact, JLS is not all that far from the norm. Seeing how he's the worst you've lived through, what that means is MSU has been consistent. Dantonio is the anomaly. On a historic scale. Best since you joined the Big Ten.

That's the thing I find interesting. The difference between perception and the reality of it. You're the one that keeps bringing up the trash talk from years ago that you say doesn't bother you.

Remember when State fans made fun of Michigan for losing to App St, and then they lost to the team that lost to App St?

MIKEHART100_0919.JPG

This guy does!

Back