Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Butt wins Mackey Award

Good for Butt and well deserved.

The fact that he only had one TD during the Big 10 season is criminal. If we had a great QB, he would have had WAY more TDs than just four total this season.

Well deserved but how in the hell Jim did he only have 4 td catches all season :/

Because other teams always zeroed in on him in the red zone. Plus all we had to do was give the ball to Hill from the 5 yard line in.

Because other teams always zeroed in on him in the red zone. Plus all we had to do was give the ball to Hill from the 5 yard line in.

He also had eight fewer catches and 136 less yards than 2015. It's because Speight wasn't that good. In 2015 Chesson, Darboh, and Butt all had 50+ catches. Only Darboh hit that mark this year and he still had five fewer catches than he did in 2015.

He also had eight fewer catches and 136 less yards than 2015. It's because Speight wasn't that good. In 2015 Chesson, Darboh, and Butt all had 50+ catches. Only Darboh hit that mark this year and he still had five fewer catches than he did in 2015.

We threw the ball a lot less as a team this year. Rudock attempted 389 passes last season and Speight only attempted 293 total. Of course there's still the bowl game to go.

Speight wasn't an All-American or anything like that, but he performed adequately well. No better or worse than Rudock last year. The downgrade in the receivers production seems to be primarily caused by passing less overall as a team.

Last edited:
We threw the ball a lot less as a team this year. Rudock attempted 389 passes last season and Speight only attempted 293 total. Of course there's still the bowl game of course.

That's true. I'm still just shitty about how we blew this season and Speight is a huge reason why. O-line as well.

We threw the ball a lot less as a team this year. Rudock attempted 389 passes last season and Speight only attempted 293 total. Of course there's still the bowl game to go.

Speight wasn't an All-American or anything like that, but he performed adequately well. No better or worse than Rudock last year. The downgrade in the receivers production seems to be primarily caused by passing less overall as a team.

Yep, Speight actually bettered him by 1/2 a yard per attempt and almost a full yard per completion.

That's true. I'm still just shitty about how we blew this season and Speight is a huge reason why. O-line as well.

The Iowa loss was a team loss in my opinion. The OL did not run block or do anything to help Speight in that game whatsoever.

OSU we know what happened. I thought Speight overall played well given his shoulder injury. The first pick six his arm was hit so that just was a great defensive play in my opinion. The other INT was bad, and the fumble on the goal line is obviously inexcusable.

He performed better than I thought he would before the season, so I can't be too upset with him. Still had plenty of chances against both teams.

The Iowa loss was a team loss in my opinion. The OL did not run block or do anything to help Speight in that game whatsoever.

OSU we know what happened. I thought Speight overall played well given his shoulder injury. The first pick six his arm was hit so that just was a great defensive play in my opinion. The other INT was bad, and the fumble on the goal line is obviously inexcusable.

He performed better than I thought he would before the season, so I can't be too upset with him. Still had plenty of chances against both teams.

Yeah, except for all those times Darboh was five yards past his defender and Speight airmailed every single one.

He also missed Chesson for another TD. Chesson got his hands on it, but it was high and a bad pass. Speight was terrible that game. I agree the o-line was terrible as well.

O-line was terrible against pretty much every run defense that had a pulse this year.

Yeah, except for all those times Darboh was five yards past his defender and Speight airmailed every single one.

He also missed Chesson for another TD. Chesson got his hands on it, but it was high and a bad pass. Speight was terrible that game. I agree the o-line was terrible as well.

O-line was terrible against pretty much every run defense that had a pulse this year.

Right..but that's why I said it was a team loss. I'm not going to just say Speight cost us the Iowa game is all I'm saying. He didn't play well, but neither did the entire offense.

Right..but that's why I said it was a team loss. I'm not going to just say Speight cost us the Iowa game is all I'm saying. He didn't play well, but neither did the entire offense.

Agreed.

I'm desperate for a great o-line and QB on the team at this point. Speight is serviceable, but he's no NFL caliber QB. Maybe NFL backup at best.

If we just would have had a great o-line to go with our D this year....fuck!

Well lets see what Peters and/or McCaffrey can do when it's their turn. OL is where I'm most concerned moving forward I agree. Even with all we lose on defense I'm confident with Don Brown's scheme that we can make it work.

Well lets see what Peters and/or McCaffrey can do when it's their turn. OL is where I'm most concerned moving forward I agree. Even with all we lose on defense I'm confident with Don Brown's scheme that we can make it work.

I agree with you here. I do have concerns about the secondary next year, but that's because it's practically impossible to replace Lewis with an inexperienced player. Clark will be back, but he's obviously not Lewis.

I'm not looking forward to the QB battle next year. I never like having a 1a and 1b option at QB, but with the equity that Speight built this year (and his talent, I do think they can win with him) and the tools that Peters seemingly has, this could be a real tough decision. I'm hoping it's just blindingly obvious that Peters is the real deal and he wins the job outright.

Last edited:
I agree with you here. I do have concerns about the secondary next year, but that's because it's practically impossible to replace Lewis with an inexperienced player. Clark will be back, but he's obviously not Lewis.

I do really like Clark though, and I think the safeties could be future stars. A lot is riding on Hill and Long stepping up, but this could be a good secondary. Not fucking phenomenal like this year, but we can work with good.

Back