Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bye Week Score Prediction Thread, Classic Edition

Michchamp

Since there's no Michigan game this week, enjoy this throwback UM-MSU score prediction thread, started by Legendary Poster MGeezer, from ten (10) years ago, Brady Hoke's first season. Some familiar faces there, and many others of those who no longer post here.

Poster "Suh" picked the winner and the score exactly right: MSU 28-14. Score was a bit closer than it looked... Michigan was driving for the tying score late in the 4th, when Denard Robinson threw a pick 6.

Maybe for fun, we can pick this week's MSU & IU game? consensus is MSU by 4 1/2, with an O/U of 48 1/2.

Seems like a pretty low margin for a 6-0 team vs. a 2-3 one, but maybe Vegas knows something we don't?

Geez, IU has played an absolutely brutal schedule... 2 Big Ten games, both on the road @ Iowa and @ Penn St. Then they lost to Cincinnati at home, a game they were winning late until they caught the turnover bug and UC pulled away. They won their two gimmies.

I'm thinking the Spartans will have more trouble moving the ball than they expect, and win on special teams and turnovers... (but still cover)

MSU 20
IU 14

Hoping for an IU victory. That's my dad's team. I still have no idea how he has been able to remain an IU football fan since the 60s. The man is a saint.

IU - 27
MSU - 24

I base this completely on being biased.

it's more likely to be a higher scoring affair. Iowa, Cinci and WKU all put up over 30 pts on them. It shouldn't be too hard for our offense to do something close to that. If their offense isn't as inept as Rutgers, I can see them scoring in the low to mid 20s.

MSU wins 34-19 holding IU to mostly FGs

Hoping for an IU victory. That's my dad's team. I still have no idea how he has been able to remain an IU football fan since the 60s. The man is a saint.

IU - 27
MSU - 24

Is your dad CitgoBilly from the old ESPN boards?

IU - 27
MSU - 24

They gave SC a battle in the 1968 Rose Bowl, losing 14-3, and were led by QB Harry Gonso and WR John Isenbarger. IU (6-1 in conference) was voted in after there was a three-way tie for the B10 title with Minnesota and Purdue. The no-repeat rule eliminated Purdue, who had lost to SC the previous year, 14-13, and even though IU lost to Minnesota, it was awarded the Rose Bowl berth, partially because it had not been there. Beating Purdue was a big help, and Purdue had beaten Minnesota.

I remember watching the game, rooting for the Hoosiers to beat SC.

Last edited:
They gave SC a battle in the 1968 Rose Bowl, losing 14-3, and were led by QB Harry Gonso and WR John Isenbarger. IU (6-1 in conference) was voted in after there was a three-way tie for the B10 title with Minnesota and Purdue. The no-repeat rule eliminated Purdue, who had lost to SC the previous year, 14-13, and even though IU lost to Minnesota, it was awarded the Rose Bowl berth, partially because it had not been there. Beating Purdue was a big help, and Purdue had beaten Minnesota.

I remember watching the game, rooting for the Hoosiers to beat SC.

Pretty crazy how fast John Pont's IU career fell after that year, but that's IU football. Lee Corso definitely was not any better as his replacement.

Last edited:
Pretty crazy how fast John Pont's IU career fell after that year, but that's IU football. Lee Corso definitely was not any better as his replacement.

lee-corso1.jpg

Geez, IU has played an absolutely brutal schedule... 2 Big Ten games, both on the road @ Iowa and @ Penn St. Then they lost to Cincinnati at home, a game they were winning late until they caught the turnover bug and UC pulled away. They won their two gimmies.

I'm thinking the Spartans will have more trouble moving the ball than they expect, and win on special teams and turnovers... (but still cover)

MSU 20
IU 14

Yeah, I'm going to pat myself on the back for coming close to nailing this one.

MSU football - particularly their offense - is still not a proven quantity.

Yeah, I'm going to pat myself on the back for coming close to nailing this one.

MSU football - particularly their offense - is still not a proven quantity.

Damn nice prediction Champ!!! Your analysis was pretty spot on too!

Back