Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cabrera projected for 101 RBIs

JimRice said:
So, in 4 minutes you read that post and the article in the link?

Ignorance is bliss.

there isn't anything anyone can post from 5 years ago or tomorrow that would convince me that the 3rd hitter in the lineup is less important than hitting 1st,2nd or 4th. just my opinion.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, the issues with batting the best hitter 3rd leaves open the possibility of him coming to the plate with 2 outs and nobody on and that the 9th, 1st, and 2nd hitters in the lineup will be hitting before him. If the average lineup consists of two high OBP guys 1st and 2nd and a fairly weak hitter batting 9th this could decrease production from the 3rd spot as opposed to two high OBP guys batting 1st and 2nd, a good hitter batting 3rd, and your best hitter hitting 4th.

hellifino said:
JimRice said:

Ignorance is bliss.

there isn't anything anyone can post from 5 years ago or tomorrow that would convince me that the 3rd hitter in the lineup is less important than hitting 1st,2nd or 4th. just my opinion.

Not surprising.

JimRice said:
hellifino said:

Not surprising.

so all the Mangers of these guys are complete idiots?

Adrian Gonzalez hits 3rd
Granderson hits 3rd
Pujols hits 3rd
Votto hits 3rd
Mauer hits 3rd
Konerko hits 3rd
Sandoval hits 3rd
Kemp hits 3rd
Bautista hits 3rd
A.Cabrera hits 3rd
Longoria hits 3rd
Hamilton hits 3rd
C Conzalez hits 3rd
J. Upton hits 3rd
Braun hits 3rd

and drum roll please.. Al Kaline hit 3rd

theyre not idiots, theyre just stubborn and refuse to change from the older, less effective ways.

Spockmaster said:
theyre not idiots, theyre just stubborn and refuse to change from the older, less effective ways.

Exactly.

Why is it so surprising that a bunch of long time baseball men refuse to change? It's not uncommon for people to become more set in their ways the older they become. Managers are human.

The difference between the optimal line up and the worst is 4.1 wins, according to the studies. Obviously, they aren't fielding the "worst" possible line up, so the difference is less, depending on how bad the line up is.

This has been my argument about Leyland all the time. His line ups are not optimal by any stretch, as he does not put high OBP hitters in the 1-2 spots most times. However, Leyland is no worse than the average manager, and is better than the bad managers.

All this is based on production models and isn't really opinion. It's fact, researched by statisticians. All it does is put a batter in the correct spot for his skill set, and maximizes his attributes.

JimRice said:

Ignorance is bliss.

There is no point in arguing with the willfully ignorant.

It's like people who dismiss evolution.

It is a fact that evolution is real, and it is a fact that the 4th spot is more important than the 3rd spot and that you should bat your best hitter either 4th or 2nd.

I think it can also be attributed to teams pitching Cabby carefully even though they have to content with V-Mart right after. I guess they think they're choosing the "lesser" of the two evils. Who knows. But Cabby HAS blown a significant number of RBI opportunities this year...

cmlfactor said:
I think it can also be attributed to teams pitching Cabby carefully even though they have to content with V-Mart right after. I guess they think they're choosing the "lesser" of the two evils. Who knows. But Cabby HAS blown a significant number of RBI opportunities this year...

Cabrera has a .396 wOBA with the bases empty.

With men on base it goes up .441.

And with RISP it is .474.

Cabrera has hit like Ted Williams and Babe Ruth with RISP.

mjsb2 said:
cmlfactor said:

what is wOAB?

tomdalton22 said:
mjsb2 said:

what is wOAB?

weighted on base average.

Back