Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Ridley

detroit1811

According to reports, Calvin Ridley could want a ?fresh start,? and the Detroit Lions could be just the right spot for him.

By Ryan Mathews@Ryan_POD Jan 7, 2022, 7:30am EST

33 Comments

Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
SHAREAll sharing options
NFL: OCT 22 Giants at Falcons

With one game remaining on their schedule, the Detroit Lions have won just two?and a half?games to kickstart their latest rebuild. And sure, yeah, there have been a handful of games where this Lions team has been totally blown out by the competition. But in his first season as head coach, Dan Campbell has done more than enough to help even the most skeptical Lions fan see that this team is headed in the right direction.

The Ringer ? s Kevin Clark wrote at length about how NFL teams have a serious problem in hiring the right head coaches and general managers for the job. Near the end of his piece, Clark shares what seems to be something anecdotal, but happened to resonate with someone who just watched this season of Lions football.

?A few months ago, I ran into an owner of a successful NFL team at a league event,? says Clark. ?We got to chatting and he mentioned that he was starting to believe the only sustainable competitive advantage in football was culture. Everything else can be replicated or figured out; culture cannot because it?s freaking hard to build.?

Earlier in the article, Clark talks about how NFL teams often overcorrect when bringing in a new executive or head coach to replace the one on the way out, and that couldn?t be any truer about the Lions when they chose the culture-oriented Campbell to replace the disciplinarian Matt Patricia.

What Campbell?along with general manager Brad Holmes?have implemented and accomplished in Detroit during their first season is nothing short of impressive for that very reason: the culture in Detroit has changed for the best. The Lions are one of those NFL teams whose overcorrection was calculated, measured, and very much successful in year one.

This is just the beginning of the Detroit Lions rebuild, but after one season, it?s well underway, and it?s clear players will play for Campbell and his incredibly talented group of coaches. Now it?s a matter of getting the right players through those doors in Allen Park.

Recently, Steve Wyche of NFL Network was on the ?Dukes and Bell? show, 92.9 The Game Atlanta. According to Wyche, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley could be looking for a ?fresh start? from his team?and the team, reportedly, feels the same way.

The language from Wyche here is pretty loose and is predicated on the old adage that silence can be deafening. There isn?t any part of his report that speaks definitively about the situation between Ridley, the Falcons, or even where Ridley is at in getting himself back to the best possible version of himself now and for the future.

During Week 8 of the 2021 season, Ridley announced on Twitter that he was stepping away from football to focus on his mental wellbeing, and he remained away from the Atlanta Falcons for the remainder of the season on the non-football related injury reserve list. With the news of him and the team each considering fresh starts, the market for a player of Ridley?s caliber will be full of suitors, but the Detroit Lions have the draft capital?and the need?to bring the talented wideout into the fold.

Ridley, the Falcons? 2018 first-round pick, has been a productive player for Atlanta since he first stepped on the field. In his rookie season, Ridley caught 64 passes for 821 yards and 10 touchdowns?good for sixth in the NFL?and he followed that up with an impressive sophomore campaign?63 catches, 866 yards, and seven touchdowns. His third year in the league saw him breakout as one of the top receivers in the league. Among receivers with at least 50 percent of 193 snaps in 2020, Ridley ranked first in average depth of target (15.4 yards), fifth in yards per route run (2.44), and fifth in yards per reception (15.3).

Detroit has a breakout player in rookie receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown, but take a look around the NFL, the haves separate themselves from the have nots at the wide receiver position. St. Brown is absolutely a piece to the winning formula in the NFL, but if Holmes and Campbell jumped at an opportunity to add Ridley, the Lions could instantly turn a position group still very much a work-in-progress into a solidified position of strength and depth if the team returns Josh Reynolds and Quintez Cephus gets healthy.

For a player like Ridley potentially looking for a fresh start, this Lions team could offer the opportunity to join a team currently feeling good about its own reboot that?s off the ground and running. As mentioned, Detroit has draft capital which includes the Los Angeles Rams? next two first-round picks in 2022 and 2023. The most comparable deal in recent memory is the price the Cleveland Browns had to pay for Odell Beckham Jr. during the 2019 offseason?a 2019 first-round pick (13th overall), a 2019 third-round pick (95th overall), and safety Jabrill Peppers. Now, Beckham Jr. had five 1,000-plus-yard receiving seasons and three Pro Bowl selections to his name by the time he was traded just before the age of 27?his profile and accomplishments were a notch above where Ridley?s currently situated. Also, something to keep in mind, Beckham Jr. had signed a five-year, $90 million contract seven months before he was dealt to Cleveland while Ridley has just the fifth-year option of his rookie contract remaining on his current deal (worth $11 million guaranteed). It feels like the Rams? first-round selection this year could be a solid foundation to start negotiations and put the Lions in pole position amongst other suitors.

Some might view that as a cost too rich for the Lions to pay for a receiver who has stepped away from the game of football to get himself right mentally, and out of sync with the assumed timeline for Detroit to be a competitive football team, but if Ridley wants to play, we know he?s a player?and a damn good one, too. Detroit needs players like Calvin Ridley to take the next step in their rebuild, and maybe Ridley needs a team and culture just like the one being built in Detroit to get that chance to start over.

For our Golladay compensation pick sure. But that?s it, he?ll be 28 next season and randomly missed a bunch of time this year for his mental health. If he was 24-25 give up a first sure. But not as he?s approaching 30.

For our Golladay compensation pick sure. But that?s it, he?ll be 28 next season and randomly missed a bunch of time this year for his mental health. If he was 24-25 give up a first sure. But not as he?s approaching 30.

He's a FA after next season. Factor in age, mental health issues, and pending free agency, I wouldn't touch him.

He is older then I realized as I thought he was 26, but even so I think I would go for it.I won?t sit here and say the Lions are dumb if they don?t make this move, because we don?t know where this guy is at mentally. I have more then enough faith in Campbell and Holmes to do their due diligence if interested and if we actually made the move I would trust that they truly believe those issues are behind him.

There is a lot of unknowns when drafting a guy.

There were 6 WR?s drafted in the 1st in 2020

Ruggs
Jeudy
Lamb
Reagar
Jefferson
Ayuik

Ruggs NFL career is over, Jeudy has been solid when he isn?t injured, Lamb has been solid as well, but not elite, Reagar is looking like a bust, Jefferson is a stud, and Ayuik looked good as a rookie and been very inconsistent this year.

Out of 6 guys, Jefferson is the only one in the same category as Ridley. Jeudy and Lamb may get there, but that is not a guarantee.

Give me the guy who is proven to be elite, vs the guy who may or may not be a good player. Also Brad Holmed came from the Rams where there was obviously a preference is acquiring star talent for draft picks. Now we are still rebuilding so that definitely factors into the equation, as we are not Calvin Ridley away from a championship.

I do believe Ridley takes this offense from being average to a top 10 unit.

As far as his contract is concerned, there are more then enough ways to structure it to protect us in the future. He has no off the field issues as far as character and we already know what he provides on the field. If he steps away from the game again, the Lions could recoup the majority of the money back.

Would the Rams 2023 pick and maybe out 3rd rounder this year be more apealling? Could still get a Edge guy, LB?er, and guy who can play 3-4 DE. and Mrcus Williams in FA.

Trade for Ridley, re-sign Walker, Sign Marcus Williams, and then in draft

Hutchinson
Lloyd/Dean
Drake Jackson

Big improvement and talent infusion is one season.

Last edited:
He is older then I realized as I thought he was 26, but even so I think I would go for it.I won?t sit here and say the Lions are dumb if they don?t make this move, because we don?t know where this guy is at mentally. I have more then enough faith in Campbell and Holmes to do their due diligence if interested and if we actually made the move I would trust that they truly believe those issues are behind him.

There is a lot of unknowns when drafting a guy.

There were 6 WR?s drafted in the 1st in 2020

Ruggs
Jeudy
Lamb
Reagar
Jefferson
Ayuik

Ruggs NFL career is over, Jeudy has been solid when he isn?t injured, Lamb has been solid as well, but not elite, Reagar is looking like a bust, Jefferson is a stud, and Ayuik looked good as a rookie and been very inconsistent this year.

Out of 6 guys, Jefferson is the only one in the same category as Ridley. Jeudy and Lamb may get there, but that is not a guarantee.

Give me the guy who is proven to be elite, vs the guy who may or may not be a good player. Also Brad Holmed came from the Rams where there was obviously a preference is acquiring star talent for draft picks. Now we are still rebuilding so that definitely factors into the equation, as we are not Calvin Ridley away from a championship.

I do believe Ridley takes this offense from being average to a top 10 unit.

As far as his contract is concerned, there are more then enough ways to structure it to protect us in the future. He has no off the field issues as far as character and we already know what he provides on the field. If he steps away from the game again, the Lions could recoup the majority of the money back.

Would the Rams 2023 pick and maybe out 3rd rounder this year be more apealling? Could still get a Edge guy, LB?er, and guy who can play 3-4 DE. and Mrcus Williams in FA.

Trade for Ridley, re-sign Walker, Sign Marcus Williams, and then in draft

Hutchinson
Lloyd/Dean
Drake Jackson

Big improvement and talent infusion is one season.

Normally I agree with ya, but I can?t say Ridley is elite based on his body of work. He?s a really good number 2 but I wouldn?t want him as a 1 unless there was another Ridley type beside him. He only has a single thousand yard season. He was 5th in the league. I mean Amon ra st brown is almost similar statistically to Ridley?s other years. And we didn?t even use him for half the year. The problem is we take on all the risk, the risk that he?s as good as his one elite year, the risk that he?ll play at a high level for more than just a year or two. A first can?t be justified. Odell blows him out of the water, that?s not a good comparison. All this for a guy who is mentally not in it. No thanks.

first 2 years in the NFL

Ridley
127 receptions,. 1687 yards, 13.3 YPC, 17 TDs

CeeDee Lamb 151/1992/13.2 YPC/ 11 TDs

Aiyuk 110, 1467/13.3/10 tds

Jeudy 88/1293/14.7/3TDs

I would argue that Lamb is already equal to Ridley
Aiyuk isn't far behind given he is in a run first offense
Jeudy...well, he has terrible QB play. Only 88 catches but 14.7 YPC tells me that he is a good player.

Normally I agree with ya, but I can?t say Ridley is elite based on his body of work. He?s a really good number 2 but I wouldn?t want him as a 1 unless there was another Ridley type beside him. He only has a single thousand yard season. He was 5th in the league. I mean Amon ra st brown is almost similar statistically to Ridley?s other years. And we didn?t even use him for half the year. The problem is we take on all the risk, the risk that he?s as good as his one elite year, the risk that he?ll play at a high level for more than just a year or two. A first can?t be justified. Odell blows him out of the water, that?s not a good comparison. All this for a guy who is mentally not in it. No thanks.

I guess I am higher on Ridley than most. He adds exactly what this offense needs as an elite deep threat, precision route runner who seperates with ease, and can be dangerous after the catch. He essentially is what people hope Jameson Williams will be, IMO. Maybe the concerns with his mental health, age, and the need to sign him to a contract extension brings down his value some

That feels right. Anything more is too much of a risk. WHY did he just leave?

This screams ?nicer? Antonio Brown. It?s a high ceiling, very low floor move. I can?t see us taking the chance.

IMO its similar to OBJ leaving the Giants. Ridley will get picked up somewhere and do a heck of a lot less. Hes wasnt just the #1 option in ATL...he was the only option with Julio being injured almost constantly. I honestly couldnt name another WR they hgad on the team last year. Guys like Gage and Pitts started to get their feet wet this year once Ridley upped and left.

1 year left....you give up those late picks we already used on Trinity Benson. Nothing more. And we dont have those anymore.

Lions are desiring high character players these days. Guys who buy what Campbell is selling. It does not appear Ridley has the right mentality for the current Lions. These coaches have proven they can work with lower end talent as long as they are mentally good fits. That is not a system for high talent coupled to low motivation. He should not be a Lion based on that, I don't care if one day he sets records on other teams, he does not fit the current Lions culture.

He just tuned 27 so he won't be 28 until late next season. Without knowing what he's dealing with would not want him.

Back