Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

can anyone post the espn insiders article

The discussion: Has Michigan become the favorite in the Big Ten?
Todd McShay: It's an interesting question, because my guess is that most people would say that there's a pretty big gap between Ohio State and Michigan. But after watching the tape of Michigan's win Saturday over Notre Dame, I don't think there's much of a gap at all, even though the Buckeyes still hold a slight edge in overall talent.

The biggest surprise to me is Wolverines QB Devin Gardner. The Fighting Irish defense has a lot of talent, and Gardner gave those guys fits all game long. The thing that makes Gardner so frustrating to play against is that he goes through all his progressions as a pocket passer, and will take what the defense gives him (he picked apart Notre Dame when it went to some soft zones), but if the defense does its job with pressure and/or coverage, then Gardner can tuck and run.

Buckeyes QB Braxton Miller is a more explosive athlete and has the ability to turn a 7-yard Gardner scramble into a 40-yard gain, but Gardner is still dangerous with his legs and is a more effective passer than Miller. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he has a good touch and his accuracy is improving.

More on Michigan
Michigan For full coverage of the Wolverines, check out the Michigan blog, part of ESPN's College Football Nation. Blog
More:
• Michigan's clubhouse page
• ESPN.com's Big Ten blog

Ohio State is more talented and deeper than Michigan at the running back and wide receiver positions, but the Wolverines have a pair of good players in RB Fitzgerald Toussaint (good lateral agility) and WR Jeremy Gallon. Gallon has a real knack for getting open and he and Gardner are on the same page -- he knows how to make his way back to Gardner when the QB scrambles. And he comes down with a lot of 50-50 balls.

The interior of Michigan's offensive line is young and needs to improve (especially when you compare it to OSU's experienced unit), but the tackles are a strength. LT Taylor Lewan's game isn't always pretty but he is nearly 100 percent effective in terms of executing his assignment.

There is a little more separation between these two teams on defense, as Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier and CB Bradley Roby are clearly the two most talented defenders across the two teams, but the Michigan defense plays well as a group and should continue to get better. In particular, DE Frank Clark and LB Cameron Gordon look like playmakers.

Overall, Ohio State is a little bit deeper and has a little bit more talent, but when you consider the confidence Michigan is playing with as well as how favorable the Wolverines' remaining schedule is (they should be significant favorites in every game between now and November), I don't think it's a stretch to say that their chances of going into the Nov. 30 Ohio State-Michigan showdown undefeated are better than the Buckeyes.

That's not a knock on Ohio State -- which is still in the process of building up its talent level and will potentially have to deal with the knee injury Miller suffered on Saturday -- but more a reflection of a Michigan team that is both underrated in terms of its personnel and well-positioned to make a run. If you're a Michigan fan, you have to be fired up about this season.

Mel Kiper: I would call the Wolverines the co-favorites right now with Ohio State (plus one sleeper I'll write a little about later). But I also think Michigan has several advantages going forward.

1. Gardner will continue to get better
I went through the Michigan-Notre Dame game three times late Saturday night, and one thing that was really obvious the first time is Gardner's growth as a pocket passer. This is not a running quarterback; this is a passer who is capable of running both as a weapon and to extend plays. However, he's clearly a passer first. He has his feet tied to his eyes now, and you can see the work he put in with quarterback coach George Whitfield in the offseason is paying some dividends. But remember, he's still really green as a starter and is going to get a lot more comfortable going through his reads and mastering this offense. And it'll make Michigan better later this fall.

2. They'll get their best defender back
Michigan lost linebacker Jake Ryan in spring practice to a torn ACL, and it's hard to overstate what his presence will mean for the defense when he gets back, likely in October. Not only did he lead them in tackles in 2012 with 88, he also led them in tackles for loss with 16.5. Nobody else on the team had more than 9.0. So you're talking about a guy who will be a significant presence for them. It's pretty rare for a team to get that kind of talent infusion midway through a year.

3. The run game should improve
Last night, the running numbers looked a little better because of the scrambling of Gardner, but Toussaint had a hard time finding a seam. He averaged just 3.1 yards per carry on 22 tries. Notre Dame isn't easy to run against, for one. And two, the Wolverines, while stellar at tackle with Lewan on the left side and Michael Schofield at right, are really young at guard and center. Jack Miller and Graham Glasgow are redshirt sophomores, and Kyle Kalis, who looks like a future pro, is a redshirt freshman. As those guys gain experience, this offense should be even better.

So I'd certainly put the Wolverines next to Ohio State right now. But don't forget about the team in Evanston. Pat Fitzgerald's Northwestern squad could be really good, and both Ohio State and Michigan have to visit. One or both could fall in that game.

Rising prospect
Dominique Easley
Kim Klement/US Presswire
Dominique Easley was a nightmare for Miami on Saturday.
Kiper: Dominique Easley, DE/DT, Florida Gators
I'm not sure exactly how he'll be used when he gets to the NFL, but Miami didn't have an answer for Easley on Saturday during Florida's loss. At 6-foot-2 and about 285 pounds, on the inside he either shoots gaps off the snap or uses his hands to quickly shed blockers and create penetration. When he lined up at defensive end, he can bull-rush the tackle right into the quarterback's lap. The coaches down there have told me this is a kid who doesn't just have a great motor on the field, he also loves to practice and work on his game. He's working his way into a first-round grade.

One more: Michigan WR Gallon had a great game, with eight catches for 184 yards and three touchdowns. Gallon isn't big, at about 5-foot-8 and under 190 pounds, but he has good hands, has a catch radius bigger than his frame would imply and is pretty dynamic after the catch. I can see him as a mid-round guy playing slot at the next level.

McShay: Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina Gamecocks
Davis is only a true sophomore, so he isn't eligible for the 2014 NFL draft, but I've been very impressed by him in his first two games. In Saturday's loss to Georgia he finished with 149 yards and a TD rushing on just 16 carries, adding four catches for 49 yards. He has very good acceleration, runs behind his pads and generates yards after contact. He is solid in pass protection, too.

Between Davis, Alabama's T.J. Yeldon and Georgia's Todd Gurley, the 2015 draft class of running backs has the potential to be loaded.

Almost famous
McShay: Timothy Flanders, RB, Sam Houston State Bearkats
Flanders ran for touchdowns of 11 and 68 yards in Sam Houston's 65-28 loss to Texas A&M on Saturday, adding a 33-yard TD catch to tie the Southland Conference record for career TDs (set by Central Arkansas' Brent Grimes). His 170-yard rushing total on 19 carries gave him the 26th 100-yard rushing game of his career.

We gave him a Day 3 grade based on preseason tape study. He lacks ideal top speed but has good vision, lateral agility and balance. He also has soft hands as a receiver.

Kiper: Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State Hornets
Remember him? Well, after getting himself kicked out of Georgia, Crowell is now at Alabama State, where the word is he's rededicated himself and hopes to get his football career back in order. On Saturday, he piled up 179 yards on just 18 carries, and looked like the guy who, at one time, we figured would be the lightning to Todd Gurley's thunder in the Georgia backfield. Crowell has made his mistakes, but a good year could have him back on the radar of NFL scouts, if he's not already. He's certainly got NFL-level talent.

A question for next week
Kiper: Will Jadeveon Clowney lift his game to another level?
I know most will want to know what I think will happen in Bama-A&M, but the big question for me is whether we'll see another level from Clowney than we have so far in 2013. I wouldn't say he's been disappointing -- he's still the No. 1 NFL prospect in college football right now -- but so far his one sack in the first two games came when he simply beat Georgia's left tackle with a slip inside. To me he still truly looks like he can't be blocked, because he's simply too quick for most tackles to get their hands on and take anywhere. But he hasn't been quite where I thought he'd be at this point, and I wonder if he's a little tentative because of worries about health. I don't blame him. He's a great player, I'm just wondering if he'll show us something more against Vanderbilt this week. He'll likely be facing a pretty good tackle prospect in Wesley Johnson.

McShay: Which top prospects will step up in Alabama-Texas A&M?
This is the obvious choice, as not only is it the clear-cut marquee game on the Week 3 college football schedule, there will be NFL prospects all over the field. For the Aggies, scouts will be paying close attention to OT Jake Matthews, WR Mike Evans and QB Johnny Manziel, while the Crimson Tide will be led by several prospects in our Top 32: OT Cyrus Kouandjio, LB C.J. Mosley, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and LB Adrian Hubbard. QB AJ McCarron needs to take advantage of the showcase opportunity and pick apart a vulnerable A&M defense.

the only thing Miller has more of compared to Gardner is HYPE.

these sort of discussions highlight just how superficial the "experts" can be when it comes to covering teams you really know well.

Yea, where is everyone getting this favorable schedule shit? @ PSU, @Northwestern, @ MSU, Nebraska, Ohio. That looks like 5 potential losses to me if this team decides to take a week off. And Northwestern scares me almost as much as Ohio.

Yea, where is everyone getting this favorable schedule shit? @ PSU, @Northwestern, @ MSU, Nebraska, Ohio. That looks like 5 potential losses to me if this team decides to take a week off. And Northwestern scares me almost as much as Ohio.

it's not a cakewalk, but it IS favorable.

as things stand now, we should be the favorite every week until ohio.

these sort of discussions highlight just how superficial the "experts" can be when it comes to covering teams you really know well.

Precisely. Anyone who "knows" CFB would not claim that there is a wide fap between OSU and UM.

Back