Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Can We Compete in 2021

detroit1811

I know most think we will not be a good team in 2021 and will be picking inside the top 10 in 2022. I agree with that because they aren?t trying to build this thing for 2021.

What this thread is about is what do you think they could do this offseason to compete without sacrificing the future? Here is mine

With our top 51 spotrac has us at just under 10mil in cap space without adding Tyrell Williams contract. His 4.7 mil goes against the cap but pushes off the lowest contract on the roster against the top 51 which is 660k. So we are down to 6mil cap space.

Restructure Goff Convert 20mil of his base into a bonus freeing up 15mil in cap room in 2021

Cut Justin Coleman save 5mil)
Cut Danny Shelton (save 4mil)
Cut Nick Williams (save 4.7mil)
Cut Joe Dahl (save 2.9mil)
Cut Jesse James (Designate Post June 1st, save 5mil)
Cut Chase Daniels (2.3mil)
Cut Christian Jones (save 2.6mil)

That gives us 47mil in cap space without sacrificing too much in the future with the cap expected to jump a bunch in 2022.

Franchise Golladay (16mil on tag, Re-sign long-term)
Romeo Okwara (3 years 30mil, year one cap hit 5mil)
Jarad Davis (1 year 3mil)
Don Mulbach (1 year 1 mil)
Daryl Roberts (1 year 1.25mil)

Resign Golladay long term 5 year 90mil 48mil guaranteed with 10mil signing bonus

2021 6mil fully guaranteed base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 8mil cap hit

2022 14mil fully guaranteed base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 16mil cap hit

2023 18mil (18mil guaranteed for injury only by a certain date in 2023) base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 20mil cap hit

2024 20mil base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 22mil cap hit

2025 22mil base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 24mil cap hit

Use the two 1.25 mil veteran exceptions for resigning a on Mulbach and Roberts. Resignings then take up 16mil bringing us to 31mil left.

Free Agents

John Johnson 4 years 40mil (6mil cap hit year one)
Troy Hill 2 years 10mil (4mil cap hit year one)
Jamaal Williams 2 years 6mil (2mil cap hit year one)
Curtis Samuel 3 year 30mil (7mil cap hit year one)
Denzel Perryman 2 years 10mil (4mil cap hit year one)
Larry Ojunjibi 2 years 6mil (2mil cap hit year one)
Jared Cook 1 year 3mil
Kevin Pierre-Louis 1 year 2 mil

They account for 30mil, but they push the lowest contracts off the roster so in actuality it lowers the cap by 25mil bringing the total to 6mil.

Trade down with New England getting 15, 46 and 2022 2nd

15 Kwity Paye EDGE

Trade with New Orleans for 28 (660) and 134 (38) giving up both the picks from New England (710)

28 Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB

41 Daviyon Nixon, DT

72 D?Wayne Eskridge, WR

88 Eric Stokes, CB

113 RB

134 OG

157 QB

After we sign all the draft picks that will take up about 9mil in cap room. Each guy would
push another player off the roster who at a minimum would be making 660k. All in all the draft class would only add another 3mil against the cap after accounting for who they replace.

Going into the season the top 53 count which would put us right around 2mil in cap space.

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Jared Goff, David Blough, Rookie

RB - DeAndre Swift, Jamaal Williams, Kerryon Johnson, Rookie

FB - Jason Cabina

WR - Kenny Golladay, Tyrell Williams, Curtis Samuel, Quintez Cephus, D?wayne Eskridge,

TE T.J. Hockenson, Jared Cook, Hunter Bryant

LT - Taylor Decker, Tyrell Crosby

LG - Jonah Jackson, Logan Stenburg

C - Frank Ragnow

RG - Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Rookie

RT - Tyrell Crosby, Matt Nelson

Defense

DE - Trey Flowers, Romeo Okwara, Kwity Paye, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant

DT - Dashawn Hand, Daviyon Nixon, Larry Ogunjobi, John Penisini, Jashon Cornell

OLB - Jamie Collins, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Jarad Davis, Kevin Pierre-Louis

ILB - Denzel Perryman, Jahlani Tavai

CB - Jeff Okudah, Amani Oruwariye, Troy Hill, Daryl Roberts, Eric Stokes

S - Tracy Walker, John Johnson, Will Harris, C.J. Moore

Special Teams

K - Matthew Wright

P - Jack Fox

LS - Don Mulbach

KR - D?Wayne Eskridge

PR - D ?Wayne Eskridge

This took a lot longer then I expected. I know I?ve done a few of these now but just excited about where this team is headed for the first time in a long time. Looking over this roster I think you could really be working with something. The more I look at our cap situation the less dire it is starting to seem.

Short answer, no. We will be picking in the top 5.

I would be fine with most of your offseason. I would not restructure Goff's contract. Restructure means that we would keep him longer. I don't want to be tied to him past 2022. I would change some of your draft picks but good overall.

I know that takes a lot of time. Good work.

Def. no restructure on Goff.

I get that I was talking in order to compete this year. I think it is going to be a buyer?s market and wouldn?t be the worst thing to free up cap space. Even if we did what we said it would only amount to 10mil dead cap to cut him in 2023. That isn?t awful with the cap expecting to explode again in 2022 And beyond and us in a good cap situation after this year.

Not saying it is the right move but I am not nearly as against it as I was 3 weeks ago.

Short answer, no. We will be picking in the top 5.

I would be fine with most of your offseason. I would not restructure Goff's contract. Restructure means that we would keep him longer. I don't want to be tied to him past 2022. I would change some of your draft picks but good overall.

I know that takes a lot of time. Good work.

Thank you

I get that I was talking in order to compete this year. I think it is going to be a buyer?s market and wouldn?t be the worst thing to free up cap space. Even if we did what we said it would only amount to 10mil dead cap to cut him in 2023. That isn?t awful with the cap expecting to explode again in 2022 And beyond and us in a good cap situation after this year.

Not saying it is the right move but I am not nearly as against it as I was 3 weeks ago.

But unless we know if Goff turns it around adding more years to him would be a huge risk.

But unless we know if Goff turns it around adding more years to him would be a huge risk.

He is already most likely to be here through 2022. A 10mil dead cap hit in 2023 isn?t too awful to get out of if Goff sucks. Like I said I would be fine either way they go.

Literally everything has to go right just to get holes filled. You created even more holes with your cuts.... then madden'd your way into filling them via draft. Love your plan but there's like a 1% chance it happens with all those trades.

Id move on from golladay. Get some draft capital to help fill those holes if you can.

Even if ALL that does happen i think we're a 5 win team. That's our ceiling if the off season goes perfect. 2-3 wins is what im expecting. We keep rebuilding the offense... meanwhile our defense is worst in the league. Dumb...

Wait till Russell wilson becomes a Bear. Then we lose even more games.

Last edited:
Literally everything has to go right just to get holes filled. You created even more holes with your cuts.... then madden'd your way into filling them via draft. Love your plan but there's like a 1% chance it happens with all those trades.

Id move on from golladay. Get some draft capital to help fill those holes if you can.

Even if ALL that does happen i think we're a 5 win team. That's our ceiling if the off season goes perfect. 2-3 wins is what im expecting. We keep rebuilding the offense... meanwhile our defense is worst in the league. Dumb...

Most of those guys are pretty much a forgone conclusion and probably only Dahl and Shelton are maybe's. The rest of those guys are either always injured or easily replaceable. IMO, Penisini can do most of what Shelton can for a fraction of the price.

There was two trades in my mock nothing crazy? I think we are in good position to trade down, but I understand that odds are probably better then 50/50 we stay at #7. As far as trading back into the first, every year there are teams that trade out of the back half of the 1st. Don't think either is an outrageous statement.

I guess maybe I am a little optimistic then because I think just the change in coaching is going to correlate to a better team. That combined with the players I added and I see a team closer to 8 wins then 5.

I am hoping Wilson doesn't go there. Hoping Raiders get involved because at least they have a solid QB to give back in return. Still that roster has a lot of holes to fill and no cap room to work with so adding Wilson likely means no Robinson or draft picked for the next two years to work with.

Also Russell Wilson has a 39mil dead cap hit for a team that only has a little over 10mil in cap space. It is going to be very tough for them to get rid of him and take that cap hit.

Good shit 1811....like hippo said.....what you did takes time and an actual thought process.

What I liked.

1. Your WR group could be really good. Like, top 5 in the NFL good if Williams stayed healthy and produced. Samuel and Eskridge in the slot would be really hard to guard.

2. You upgraded the LB unit. Davis, Tavai and Pierre-Louis as backups are a much better fit for their talent level.

What I didn't....

1. NO restructure on Goff. No matter how this year plays out, there is no reason to do that. If he surprises everyone and has a good year...great....hes under contract. But if he falls on his ugly face, which is likely to happen, I don't want to be tied to that Jay Cutler clone any longer than we have to.

2. DL would have the same issues rushing the passer as it did last year. Unless Paye or the brothers Okwara stepped up. Which could happen....who knows.

3. Not hot on Jared Cook. I'd rather keep Hunter Bryant, add a FA TE cheap and possibly add a OG in free agency. I'm actually ok with Crosby and Nelson at RT.....but if we really want to step up the running game, a new RG is necessary.

Good stuff though. It's certainly a roster that would have POTENTIAL to be competitive....but as Hughes said....it would be unlikely.

NBC Sports' Peter King said Seattle trading Russell Wilson to the Bears is a "futile pipe dream."
King rightfully questions what Chicago could offer that would entice the Seahawks to trade away their franchise player. Even if the Bears offer Khalil Mack, Nick Foles, the 20th pick in the NFL Draft, and their 2022 first rounder, King said the Seahawks would be unlikely to make the deal and incur at $39 million cap hit in 2021. Seattle's draft position -- the team has a single selection in the first 125 picks -- makes it nearly impossible to find a quarterback of the future if they deal Wilson to Chicago. The Bears are reportedly "prioritizing" acquiring Wilson, but the team would have to blow away the Seahawks with an offer in the coming weeks.

Good shit 1811....like hippo said.....what you did takes time and an actual thought process.

What I liked.

1. Your WR group could be really good. Like, top 5 in the NFL good if Williams stayed healthy and produced. Samuel and Eskridge in the slot would be really hard to guard.

2. You upgraded the LB unit. Davis, Tavai and Pierre-Louis as backups are a much better fit for their talent level.

What I didn't....

1. NO restructure on Goff. No matter how this year plays out, there is no reason to do that. If he surprises everyone and has a good year...great....hes under contract. But if he falls on his ugly face, which is likely to happen, I don't want to be tied to that Jay Cutler clone any longer than we have to.

2. DL would have the same issues rushing the passer as it did last year. Unless Paye or the brothers Okwara stepped up. Which could happen....who knows.

3. Not hot on Jared Cook. I'd rather keep Hunter Bryant, add a FA TE cheap and possibly add a OG in free agency. I'm actually ok with Crosby and Nelson at RT.....but if we really want to step up the running game, a new RG is necessary.

Good stuff though. It's certainly a roster that would have POTENTIAL to be competitive....but as Hughes said....it would be unlikely.

Thanks. Cook would be more so to come in and help the young guys along with him having a ton of familiarity with Campbell. He is still serviceable on the field, but I wouldn't have a problem going in a different direction.

As far as the Goff restructure I was originally 100% against it. I just think looking at it it isn't as bad as it seemed initially. I think this is a year to buy and if it sacrifices a little in the future it in not crippling with our good future cap situation and the cap expected to rise dramatically in the near future. Add to that it is only 10mil in dead cap to cut him in 2023 and a 15mil savings and I don't think we are tied to the hip.

Also I would hope Flowers can finally stay healthy and be that pass rushing presence. He isn't elite as a pass rusher, but he isn't that far off. If Romeo can have a similar year with Julian and Paye backing him up I think we would be alright. Could kick Flowers inside on passing downs with Romeo and Paye on the outside and maybe even Julian as a stand up rusher in kind of a joker role. I think that would be a decent group with the chance to be pretty good if we get something good from Julian or Paye.

Back