Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cano wants $305M

tomdalton22

I read that he wants a 10 year $305M contract. WTF? A 30 year old 2B? I guess you can ask for anything. Does he get $25M a year?

The yankees have so many holes and problems coming for 2014, Cano probably just wants out, giving them a super high $$$ amount,
He switched to Jay Z as his agent if you remember,
so he might be posturing there with yankees and wind up with Dodgers.

If he gets it, look out for Miggy's contract. Because if someone pays Cano $30 Mil a year, then that will be the contract all others will be judged against. I am hoping it is $25 Mil or less. And I hope the Tigers aren't in at that price.

Offer him 17.7 for 6 years and tell him he is our missing offensive piece.
Tell him we want to win titles, and Detroit has great beach's in the summer.
.Resign Omar and us him as a super sub all over.. He did that in Atlanta one year right.
You never know maybe winning is more important to some guys...Doubt it but you never
know....Go for it..

No way.

We shell out for Cano we become one of those teams with a bunch of aging high salary guys surrounded by trash role players because our farm is garbage and we spent all our scratch on one guy in the off season.

We need to resign Benoit, maybe Victor, sign at least 2 bullpen arms, a backup catcher, look into resigning or trading Porcello and Scherzer....all of which is more important than second base right now.

Agreed. If they can't sign Omar cheap or if Perez can't get the job done sign a cheap alternative at 2nd in the off-season. But we need our P's.

No way.

We shell out for Cano we become one of those teams with a bunch of aging high salary guys surrounded by trash role players because our farm is garbage and we spent all our scratch on one guy in the off season.

We need to resign Benoit, maybe Victor, sign at least 2 bullpen arms, a backup catcher, look into resigning or trading Porcello and Scherzer....all of which is more important than second base right now.

I really dont want to become the Yankees. I pity whoever signs Cano to a contract like that.

No way.

The Tigers ARE going to be that team if they pay Miggy & Scherzer. They will have Prince, JV, Miggy and Scherzer during their decline paying them all top dollar.

The Tigers ARE going to be that team if they pay Miggy & Scherzer. They will have Prince, JV, Miggy and Scherzer during their decline paying them all top dollar.

LOL decline.

Hit yourself in the face with a brick.

LOL decline.

Hit yourself in the face with a brick.

All of them will be 30 or older next season. So you think Prince, JV, Miggy and Scherzer are going to get better, stay as they are or decline over the next 7-10 years?

Last edited:
We'll pony up for Miggy, but I doubt we'll sign Max long-term, and I stand by my opinion that we should trade him for a king's ransom this offseason rather than lose him after FA with at most a sammich pick in compensation.

We'll pony up for Miggy, but I doubt we'll sign Max long-term, and I stand by my opinion that we should trade him for a king's ransom this offseason rather than lose him after FA with at most a sammich pick in compensation.

I have been saying the same thing about Max. I think it would be a mistake to sign Miggy. What he has been for the past month could be what you get out of him over the last 4-5 years of his contract while paying him $30M a year. The Tigers should do what the Cards did with Pujolis....use him while he is in his prime then say goodbye.

I have been saying the same thing about Max. I think it would be a mistake to sign Miggy. What he has been for the past month could be what you get out of him over the last 4-5 years of his contract while paying him $30M a year. The Tigers should do what the Cards did with Pujolis....use him while he is in his prime then say goodbye.

The Cardinals offered Albert a 10-year, $220-million that he declined. Overing Miami's offer by $20 million. That's hardly showing him the door.

The Cardinals offered Albert a 10-year, $220-million that he declined. Overing Miami's offer by $20 million. That's hardly showing him the door.

how glad do you think they are now that someone else took him? Look at the Cards now and look at the team that is stuck with Albert. The Tigers should learn something from this!

how glad do you think they are now that someone else took him? Look at the Cards now and look at the team that is stuck with Albert. The Tigers should learn something from this!

I don't disagree with you; it just rankles to read an incorrect account of how the Cardinals avoided getting stuck with Pujols for the next nine seasons.

Two other observations: The Tigers' likely learned something from committing to Verlander and Fielder; and, if the 'Ol Man dies in the near future, the successor/owner is not going to make these kind of deals again.

I don't disagree with you; it just rankles to read an incorrect account of how the Cardinals avoided getting stuck with Pujols for the next nine seasons.

Two other observations: The Tigers' likely learned something from committing to Verlander and Fielder; and, if the 'Ol Man dies in the near future, the successor/owner is not going to make these kind of deals again.

I wrote: "The Tigers should do what the Cards did with Pujolis....use him while he is in his prime then say goodbye."

They did in a sense say goodbye as they gave him a take it or leave it offer. Then someone else gave him $40M more than they offered.

I cringe when I think what this team might look like in a five years. The Tigers might have 2 CC Sabathias (JV & Scherzer) and 2 Alberts (Prince and Miggy) on their team!

If Miggy had his best offensive year at 30. As you say Tom, staying where he's at isn't so bad. Decline for the next 3-4 years is probably still better than just about anyone.

I wrote: "The Tigers should do what the Cards did with Pujolis....use him while he is in his prime then say goodbye."

They did in a sense say goodbye as they gave him a take it or leave it offer. Then someone else gave him $40M more than they offered.

I cringe when I think what this team might look like in a five years. The Tigers might have 2 CC Sabathias (JV & Scherzer) and 2 Alberts (Prince and Miggy) on their team!

The problem with this is, the Tigers are not the Cardinals. The Cardinals could get up from a Pujols leaving, The Tigers can't from a Miggy departure. They do stuff better, always have..They certainly have a better ml system to fall back on.

Back