Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

CFP Playoff Rankings

byco42

Apparently Alabama?s loss versus TAMU was not sufficient for this committee to exclude it from the top 4 teams.

My Top 4: Georgia, MSU, Cincinnati, OSU

Last edited:
I think your top 4 is as good as any right now. Still a month to go and lots could happen but assuming no hiccups along the way, if Bama loses to GA in the SEC Champ game, they'll get bounced and if they win, they probably deserve to be in the playoff.

As for the 2 B1G teams, assuming its their only loss from here, the loser of the head-to-head will be eliminated. I think our chances of staying in it are about as good as Cincinnati's chances of getting in it (Purdue could be a trap game, OSU is a better team and psu could easily ruin a perfect season - if it still is by then). I'm more than happy to be wrong about any or all of that.

Last edited:
new top 4:

Georgia, Alabama, Oregon, OSU

rounding out the top ten: 5 Cincinnati, 6 Michigan, 7 Michigan State, 8 Oklahoma, 9 ND, 10 OK St.

committee saying Oregon's win head-to-head gives them the edge vs. osu, despite OSU's better wins, and tougher schedule. If OSU wins out, presumably they jump Oregon.

I assume as things stand now, OSU & Oregon will win out, and assuming Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC championship, both will still go. It only gets interesting if Bama loses that game; will the committee let an undefeated Cincinnati jump them? Will another team (Oklahoma? or ND?) jump Cincinnati?

presumably OSU will beat both us and State.

I don't know who in the Pac12 will beat Oregon, although they look shaky as hell. They play at #24 Utah in a couple weeks. Utah has the 2nd best record in the conference at 6-3

Cincinnati looks like they'll win out as well, but they do still have to play UH, and the Bearcats have been barely beating lousy teams lately.

Cincinnati looks like they'll win out as well, but they do still have to play UH, and the Bearcats have been barely beating lousy teams lately.

I think the American conference has a championship game. Right now the top 2 teams are Cincinnati at 9-0 (5-0 in conference) and Houston 8-1 (6-0 in conference. Those two teams don't play in the regular season. If they both win out, I would imagine that Houston would be ranked in the top 20

I just think a 8 to 12 team playoff would be fun. I was listening to Valenti and Rico (97.1) out if Detroit and Rico wants a playoff and Mike doesn?t but I am tired of the same 4 or 5 teams playing every year in the final four. Open it up and see what happens.

I think the American conference has a championship game. Right now the top 2 teams are Cincinnati at 9-0 (5-0 in conference) and Houston 8-1 (6-0 in conference. Those two teams don't play in the regular season. If they both win out, I would imagine that Houston would be ranked in the top 20

ah, I didn't realize the AAC didn't all play eachother. Cincy does get a break there. Looks like the toughest team left on their schedule is SMU & they play in Cincinnati

It does kind of suck for them if they go undefeated and get left out; they'd argue they may play an easy schedule, but they still beat ND and a Big Ten team (granted it's IU), but both games were on the road.

But they also barely beat Navy (2-7) and Tulsa (3-6). Their off weeks would be L's if they played in a better conference. And the score of the IU game was 30-24 with 3:30 left, but IU threw a bad pick to let UC beat them by 2 scores.

I just think a 8 to 12 team playoff would be fun. I was listening to Valenti and Rico (97.1) out if Detroit and Rico wants a playoff and Mike doesn?t but I am tired of the same 4 or 5 teams playing every year in the final four. Open it up and see what happens.

The results would probably be the same, since it's a lot harder to upset a great team in football than in basketball. And smaller schools can field competitive basketball programs, but affording a competitive football team is another matter. But there would still be some good upsets... I'd have liked to see what we could have done in 2016.

I do agree there should be an expanded field. Then you can let in teams like Cincinnati, without screwing over a 12-1 Big Ten or SEC team.

I think 8 teams is enough though. That's three weeks for a playoff; and potentially like 15 games total. It's absurd to make kids play that much football and still claim they're "scholar athletes"... that's almost as much football as the pros play.

I am fine with anything over four teams. 6, 8, 10,12, 16. Anything but this same old crap we see every year. I

so it was:

1) Georgia 2) OSU 3) Alabama 4) Cincinnati

Guessing it's now:

1) Georgia 2) Michigan... and 3) - 4) will be split between Alabama/OK St./ND with Cinncinnati at 5th or 6th.

If we can avoid a let down against Iowa, AND Alabama beats UGA in the SEC Championship, we could be the 1 seed.

I don't know if that's a huge advantage this year... any of the 5 teams above, other than Cincinnati, seem solid, and Cincinnati is an unknown. They did beat ND, but ND seemed to shore things up and looks like the better team overall, similar to us vs. MSU.

If we can avoid a let down against Iowa, AND Alabama beats UGA in the SEC Championship, we could be the 1 seed.

I don't know if that's a huge advantage this year... any of the 5 teams above, other than Cincinnati, seem solid, and Cincinnati is an unknown. They did beat ND, but ND seemed to shore things up and looks like the better team overall, similar to us vs. MSU.

I fucking HATE the idea of ND or Bama being in the final mix because I fucking hate those programs. Georgia, UM, Cincy and OK St would be a fantastic playoff since none have been in the Playoff before and it guarantees a new champion. Each team is just as worthy as Bama or ND.

If MSU was still undefeated no one would think about UM jumping them. Cincy deserves it more than ND. They didn't barely bear ND in South Bend, they dominated them.

I doubt the committee allows it to happen, so need Georgia to beat Bama at a minimum. If Bama wins, we all know Georgia would be the 4 seed so the committee can double up their SEC wet dreams.

Maybe.

I fucking HATE the idea of ND or Bama being in the final mix because I fucking hate those programs. Georgia, UM, Cincy and OK St would be a fantastic playoff since none have been in the Playoff before and it guarantees a new champion. Each team is just as worthy as Bama or ND.

If MSU was still undefeated no one would think about UM jumping them. Cincy deserves it more than ND. They didn't barely bear ND in South Bend, they dominated them.

I doubt the committee allows it to happen, so need Georgia to beat Bama at a minimum. If Bama wins, we all know Georgia would be the 4 seed so the committee can double up their SEC wet dreams.

If Ala. does beat Georgia they should still belong imo. 1 loss to highly ranked team. Lets take care of business next week and I don't care.

Back