Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

China setting up COVID labs in US to collect DNA

Gulo Blue

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-us-biodata-60-minutes-2021-01-28/?intcid=CNM-00-10abd1h
U.S. intelligence officials say Chinese government is collecting Americans' DNA
60 Minutes has learned Chinese company BGI Group, the largest biotech firm in the world, offered to build COVID labs in at least six states, and U.S. intelligence officials issued warnings not to share health data with BGI. See the story, Sunday on CBS.

This flippin' country. What are we going to do about China?

Whoa, wait a minute.

boy-thinking.jpg

Maybe it's not true??

I seem to be remembering convincing commentaries I've read and history I've studied that anonymous "intelligence" sources that leak stories to the press don't have the best track record when it comes to... pretty much everything.

Maybe it's not true??

I seem to be remembering convincing commentaries I've read and history I've studied that anonymous "intelligence" sources that leak stories to the press don't have the best track record when it comes to... pretty much everything.

Fair point. But I'm all geared up and ready to believe this.

HEADLINE: U.S. intelligence officials say Chinese government is collecting Americans' DNA.

COPY: The largest biotech firm in the world wasted no time in offering to build and run COVID testing labs in Washington, contacting its governor right after the first major COVID outbreak in the U.S. occurred there. The Chinese company, the BGI Group, made the same offer to at least five other states, including New York and California, 60 Minutes has learned.

Thanks partially to Evanina's efforts, none of the states accepted the offer of the BGI Group, which he says has close ties to China's military and ruling Communist Party.”​

So the headline is lying and no one reads the body copy. But let’s remember the integrity of the MSM.

Whoa, wait a minute.

boy-thinking.jpg

Maybe it's not true??

Not anonymous

This, along with other COVID testing offers by BGI, so worried Bill Evanina, then the country's top counterintelligence officer, that he authorized a rare public warning. "Foreign powers can collect, store and exploit biometric information from COVID tests" declared the notice. Evanina believes the Chinese are trying to collect Americans' DNA to win a race to control the world's biodata.

So the headline is lying and no one reads the body copy. But let?s remember the integrity of the MSM.​

"Is" vs "is trying" is a big difference, but I'm still geared up and ready to believe "is trying"​

Honestly... what is China going to do with our DNA that's really so concerning?

They don't have any legal authority over American citizens.

Is this like the plot of some kind of James Bond movie or something?

Or was there a comic book, or comic book movie you guys all saw, where the Chinese government collects our DNA, and like... does something with it?

Or was there a comic book, or comic book movie you guys all saw, where the Chinese government collects our DNA, and like... does something with it?
It's the coming AI age. Whoever has the most data wins.

It's the coming AI age. Whoever has the most data wins.
This is 21st century technology we're talking about.

Whoever has the most data... gets bogged down with data, can't interpret it correctly anyways, has poor user interfaces, and loses.

Who knows what correlations AI might uncover? There's obvious stuff, like who has what diseases and who's related to who, but AI could someday figure out behavioral tendencies to help fill out personality profiles. Maybe come up with lists of people who will need money and have a tendency to sell secrets.

This is 21st century technology we're talking about.

Whoever has the most data... gets bogged down with data, can't interpret it correctly anyways, has poor user interfaces, and loses.

OK boomer

If/when the US starts collecting DNA from citizens of foreign nations, what say you? Or from American citizens for that matter?

If/when the US starts collecting DNA from citizens of foreign nations, what say you? Or from American citizens for that matter?

the answer to that depends on whether they start collecting the DNA before or after la revolucion...

Curious - did any of you get a vaccine shot yet?

Nope. My mom and dad both got one. My dad is scheduled to get his second within the next few days. He said it felt like a flu shot. His arm a little uncomfortable the day after.

Nope. My mom and dad both got one. My dad is scheduled to get his second within the next few days. He said it felt like a flu shot. His arm a little uncomfortable the day after.

I took a flu shot once in my life and got extremely sick right after. I hate these kind of things. Thanks.

I took a flu shot once in my life and got extremely sick right after. I hate these kind of things. Thanks.

man up ;)

as far as vaccinations, the flu shot probably has a pretty high rate of people getting sick because it is made with "dead" viruses.

While in the Air Guard for 24 years, we had to get vaccinations every year. The flu shot every single year and many others every few years or so. There was one that made your arm hurt for about 4 days...felt like someone punched you.

Nobody ever died though.

man up ;)

as far as vaccinations, the flu shot probably has a pretty high rate of people getting sick because it is made with "dead" viruses.

While in the Air Guard for 24 years, we had to get vaccinations every year. The flu shot every single year and many others every few years or so. There was one that made your arm hurt for about 4 days...felt like someone punched you.

Nobody ever died though.

I had a shot in my back that hurt for days but the flu I hate that. And when I get the flu I have it for like 3 weeks. Go through every symptom and then it starts over again. In the end I'm not sure I can even get it in Arizona yet.

Back