Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chris Spielman on 97.1

detroit1811

With a new regime comes new hope. And hopes are high for the future of the Lions with the arrival of GM Brad Holmes, head coach Dan Campbell and a host of experienced minds around them.

That includes special assistant Chris Spielman, who believes this regime will be different in Detroit based on Holmes and Campbell living up to their words before they were hired.

"Dan and Brad have done exactly what they said during the interview process. Anybody can say anything during the interview process. Until we see it with our own eyes, which I have, now I feel like we?re giving ourselves the best chance to win as soon as possible. I don?t know when that will be, but I?m very confident it will happen," Spielman told the Stoney & Jansen Show on Tuesday.

Spielman was hired by the Lions to help the organization find the right leaders. If he was sold on Holmes and Campbell early in the respective searches for GM and head coach, he's even more impressed with them now.

"Here?s how I look at it," he said. "As long as during the interview process, if Brad Holmes says, ?I want everybody?s opinion, I want collaboration,? and then I actually witness it with his actions, that?s a good sign for fans. Dan Campbell said in his interview, ?I will get coaches to come coach with me.' Not only does he bring in a former head coach as his offensive coordinator in Anthony Lynn, but he brought in two guys who interviewed for head coaching jobs that some people view as future head coaches in Aaron Glenn and Duce Staley. And, by the way, let?s help bring in more talent with former head coach Dom Capers as a senior assistant.

"I?ve always looked at coaches this way -- the great coaches surround themselves with talented people. Some coaches who get a shot maybe aren?t as secure as Dan Campbell and might not hire guys they might deem a threat."

Holmes has done the same thing in the front office, hiring former Browns and Chiefs GM John Dorsey as senior personnel executive and former Rams director of pro personnel Ray Agnew as assistant GM. Furthermore, said Spielman, both Holmes and Campbell have delivered on their promise of collaboration throughout the organization.

"The communication between Brad and Dan has been outstanding," he said. "I?ve been around this every day now for the last two months, I?ve sat in the college scouting meetings. The communication between the scouts and the ability to identify what kind of player (we) want and everybody has a voice and an opinion on what type of player that is, sometimes there?s disagreements but disagreements are good because you can hash out and always give your why.

"Between the pro staff and the college staff and Dan and Brad leading personnel meetings, it?s clear to me that everybody is on the same page -- with, I believe, productive disagreement at times."

When it comes to player personnel decisions, Spielman confirmed "everybody understands" that Holmes and Campbell are calling the shots.

"Brad and Dan, it?s on them, because they have to sign their names to that," he said.

The Lions are likely at least two years away from turning things around. Holmes and Campbell want to build the team through the draft, underlined by the package of picks they got from the Rams in exchange for Matthew Stafford.

"There?s been a lot of discussion around here and it?s kind of an opposite theory on how the Lions used to be very active in free agency. In any philosophy you can fill voids in free agency, but you can?t buy a locker room," Spielman said. "That?s been a philosophy for a lot of teams. Generally, what I believe is, you want to build your team through the draft. Draft, develop and re-sign."

As for the voice at the top, Spielman said owner Sheila Ford Hamp has been actively involved in offseason meetings. She even displaced Spielman from his original office.

"People ask me all the time, 'How much is Sheila involved?' Well, she?s been involved by sitting in on all these personnel meetings, two days of offensive free agency meetings and defensive free agency meetings," Spielman said. "I had a great office when I got here and all of the sudden I?m on the corner next to the exit door and I said, 'What happened?' Well, Sheila wants this office because it's right in the middle of everything, which is awesome. It just goes to show her commitment to what she wants and how involved she is, being in these meetings and giving her opinion."

Love that as long as she stays away from making any personnel decisions. Her being there holds guys accountable, and if they fail, she will have insight as to why these things happened.

This is more from the 97.1 interview. This is Justin Rogers on twitter.

This one surprised me a bit, but is a credit to Spielman’s willingness to evolve as the game does. He said he’s shifted away from idea that you build a team from the inside-out and now believes you build from the outside in.

More from Spielman’s 97.1 interview this morning: Said he’s not allowed to talk on franchise tag, but praised Golladay’s ability to win 50-50 balls.

“I just think his size and what he can bring to the table is something a lot of people like about Kenny Golladay, including me.”

Those two comments make me think that Golladay being here in 2021 is almost a lock and drafting a WR high in the draft is a high possibility. Outside in to me means CB’s edge rushers, and WR’s. It is a passing league and outside of QB, those are the easiest way to affect the pass on offense or defense. We have our starting CB’s already. They will be working hard to re-sign Golladay and Okwara, and I think that is 100% the right choice to make. Re-sign your own and build draft capital are the main focus.

I know there are a lot of people who say Golladay isn’t worth the money to retain and that he doesn’t fit very well with Jared Goff. I disagree with that, and I think it is bad practice to let your best players walk in the prime of their careers, unless there is a major underlying issue with them.

My point for those guys though is look what Golladay did in 2019 with Jeff Driskel and David Blough. Neither one of those guys was very good yet Golladay still put up a 30-550-4 line in the final eight games. Extrapolated over a full season and that is 60-1100-8. Golladay doesn’t “need” Stafford. This guy is a very talented WR and would certainly still produce with Goff.

I know there are a lot of people who say Golladay isn?t worth the money to retain and that he doesn?t fit very well with Jared Goff. I disagree with that, and I think it is bad practice to let your best players walk in the prime of their careers, unless there is a major underlying issue with them.

My point for those guys though is look what Golladay did in 2019 with Jeff Driskel and David Blough. Neither one of those guys was very good yet Golladay still put up a 30-550-4 line in the final eight games. Extrapolated over a full season and that is 60-1100-8. Golladay doesn?t ?need? Stafford. This guy is a very talented WR and would certainly still produce with Goff.

The underlying issue is that he's coming off an injury and LT he wants 20m. If he was worth that, imo his separation says no, I don't believe we have the money for him.

If Golladay produces 1,000-1200 yards and leads league in receiving TDS again he is worth it. Even if just one year franchise which won't be 20 million BTW

Tag and trade still on the table too. If you don't tag, you can't trade for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now. Would have to wait for 2022 for the late 3rd and even then only if you didn't sign anybody big in FA in 2021.

If Golladay produces 1,000-1200 yards and leads league in receiving TDS again he is worth it. Even if just one year franchise which won't be 20 million BTW

Tag and trade still on the table too. If you don't tag, you can't trade for a 2nd or 3rd round pick now. Would have to wait for 2022 for the late 3rd and even then only if you didn't sign anybody big in FA in 2021.

Have to wait? I thought 2022 picks are just as valuable as 2021

Have to wait? I thought 2022 picks are just as valuable as 2021

They are. But could get a 2nd round pick with tag and trade opposed to late 3rd. And 3rd only if you dont spend. Different situation than Stafford trade

2nd>potential 3rd by not spending in fa..Always

Also two 1sts, 3rd and former 1st overall pick>one 1st, 3rd and maybe Bridgewater or 1st and Lock

Last edited:
He missed 13 games because of a boo boo. Call it the Levy complex or even the Calvin "I hate this team" Johnson injury.

You don't know the extent of the injury. And at some point, it wasn't worth coming back once it went to shit Panthers/Texans games. 5 more games after Thanksgiving that didn't really matter. We beat Bears, are you saying we beat Packers, Titans, Bucs and Vikings with KG?

You don't know the extent of the injury. And at some point, it wasn't worth coming back once it went to shit Panthers/Texans games. 5 more games after Thanksgiving that didn't really matter. We beat Bears, are you saying we beat Packers, Titans, Bucs and Vikings with KG?

I thought all those were true wins???

I thought all those were true wins???

Don't think I did. But thanks for playing

I'm seeing if Mitch thinks we would have won those games if KG played and maybe that is a reason he didn't come back with the season already lost

But I guess KG is just lazy lol

Its always worth coming back. I don't want anyone who takes a power because the team is bad.

I have heard the rumors that KG didn't come back and risk re-injury. That is all they are though, rumors. I'll bet you Dan Campbell and Co. know whether or not those rumors are true. Campbell also spoke in depth with Stafford so I bet he knows how hard of a worker KG is. With Golladay being a player we are re-signing and not a free agent, we have the inside scoop. We know all the pros and cons with this guy better then any other team would.

Back