Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

CNN's End of the World Video Clip

Michchamp

According to this article, CNN has had an internal directive since its founding to play a clip of a band playing "Nearer My God To Thee" at the end of the world. I guess the last CNN employee alive, or close to last CNN employee alive is supposed to run it.

I would've picked something else.

According to this article, CNN has had an internal directive since its founding to play a clip of a band playing "Nearer My God To Thee" at the end of the world. I guess the last CNN employee alive, or close to last CNN employee alive is supposed to run it.

I would've picked something else.

Wouldn't it be funny if the last two remaining employees disagreed on what would be the final thing played before signing off...?

What if one of the last two remaining employees, Peter Abel wanted to stay true to Turner's wishes, and play Nearer My God to Thee thing; while the other last surviving employee, Simon Cain, wanted to go with Smoke on the Water instead and they ended up in a fight to the death over it right there on camera?

So anyway, what if Cain were to kill Abel, but just before he could sign off with Smoke on the Water, the world blew up, and the TVs all across the world just went blank and CNN ended up not signing off with anything?

Wouldn't that be hoot?

I for one, know that I would be sitting there in front of my television, busting a gut if I were to see that...

Last edited:
Smoke on the water is good too. Yes, definitely must watch TV.

Other suggestions:

"It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by REM

"The End" by The Doors

"We'll Meet Again" by Vera Lynn (used in the end sequence of Dr. Strangelove)

"Exit Music (For A Film)" by Radiohead

or go with something more absurd, annoying, or darkly humorous:

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin

"Blueberry Hill" by Fats Domino

"Barbie Girl" by Aqua

"Time Is On My Side" by the Rolling Stones

Barber's Agnus Dei

UMMGC recording if a good one exists. But if it does, I don't have a copy of it.

In Seeking a Friend For the End of the World a news telecast operation actually does its final sign off just before the world ends...but I can't find that video clip by itself anywhere online...

Back