Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coaching openings

cheeno

Open

Titans - Mularkey, McDaniels
Phins - Gase
49ers - Kelly
Browns - Jackson
Eagles - Peterson
Giants - McAdoo
Tampa Bay - Koetter

Later possibilities

Lions - Patricia, McDaniels, Caldwell

Last edited:
I still have to wonder how many of Austin's interviews are Rooney Rule interviews.

He's a qualified coach, and he's a minority, so he's going to be early on a lot of lists. But he didn't get an offer coming off the 2014 season in which his defense was among the best in the league. Not sure how many offers he will get after his team finished "respectable" in 2015.

Saints want a second round pick for Payton.

Phins are turning to Shannahan for a second interview. He's the guy. Austin will be the Rooney Rule interview there.

Payton's worth a 2nd rounder IMO. Not like the 2nd round picks here have done anything.

Payton's worth a 2nd rounder IMO. Not like the 2nd round picks here have done anything.

People often say the NFL is a QB league. Well, it might be true, but it's also a Coaching league.

A coach can ruin a great QB, or turn a mediocre QB into a superstar ala Flacco.

If I had confidence Peyton was really all that, I would give up the 2nd rounder for him. I just don't have that confidence in him. I think his offense is dated, and he's never impressed me from a defensive standpoint.

I'm sure that Austin didn't get a HC gig this season because of only one year of being a Coordinator. Just not enough experience. But I'm curious why this season is any different.. Overall the defense was much worse this season.. 18th in yards and 25th in points. That doesn't scream top DC.

I'm sure that Austin didn't get a HC gig this season because of only one year of being a Coordinator. Just not enough experience. But I'm curious why this season is any different.. Overall the defense was much worse this season.. 18th in yards and 25th in points. That doesn't scream top DC.

I agree with you all the way.

The Browns job I can understand. First guy to say "Sure, I'll take it" gets it. Because no one wants that nightmare.

Any other job? He regressed. The Dolphins were mentioned, but they are already sniffing up on the Shannahan. He's in his second interview, which normally means he's about to get an offer.

Austin, like last year, will be a popular interview because he satisfies the Rooney Rule. But if he didn't get an offer last year, I can't see why he would this year.

Im pretty confident Austin doesn't get a HC job this year unless hes the last resort for the Browns and hes dumb enough to go to that shithole organization and crack head jerry jones want-a-be owner.

The Bills hired a college coach a few years ago who had a losing record in college.

The Bears hired a CFL coach.

The 49'ers promoted their offensive line coach after turning down several qualified candidates.

I don't think it makes sense for Austin to get a head coaching gig this year, but nothing in football gives me confidence any more.

The Bills hired a college coach a few years ago who had a losing record in college.

The 49'ers promoted their offensive line coach after turning down several qualified candidates.

I don't think it makes sense for Austin to get a head coaching gig this year, but nothing in football gives me confidence any more.

I was actually thinking those 49ers. But I still see Chip going there.

Hey Jim Tomsula was the former head coach of the Rhine Fire and lead them to a winning record of 6-4!

Hey Jim Tomsula was the former head coach of the Rhine Fire and lead them to a winning record of 6-4!

You owe me one keyboard. And coffee burns the nose when it's really hot.

Just in case you didn't know.

You owe me one keyboard. And coffee burns the nose when it's really hot.

Just in case you didn't know.

Don't worry about the Niners, I'm sure they will get it right this time.

chip-kelly-eagles-chiefs-ap.jpg

Browns have Jim Schwartz on their list of HC candidates.

Now THAT one makes sense to me.

I loved that league in Europe. I remember watching the Rhein Fire take on the Frankfurt Galaxy.

Back