Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Comment on Tigers' Announcers

compiler

Speaking of mediocrity: I've found it amusing to watch the homage paid to an announcer I grew up listening to, Vin Scully. Our mediocre announcers talk glowingly about Vin, but take nothing away from him to improve themselves. Vin was a man of few -- but well-chosen -- words, often letting the situation/crowd noise provide the excitement. Many great announcers like Mel Allen, Red Barber, and Ernie Harwell also realized this. If our announcers would just realize that they don't have to fill every moment with vapid banter/chatter/gibberish they would be so much better. But, then again, why should they be any different quality-wise than our team and FO.

Mel

Speaking of mediocrity: I've found it amusing to watch the homage paid to an announcer I grew up listening to, Vin Scully. Our mediocre announcers talk glowingly about Vin, but take nothing away from him to improve themselves. Vin was a man of few -- but well-chosen -- words, often letting the situation/crowd noise provide the excitement. Many great announcers like Mel Allen, Red Barber, and Ernie Harwell also realized this. If our announcers would just realize that they don't have to fill every moment with vapid banter/chatter/gibberish they would be so much better. But, then again, why should they be any different quality-wise than our team and FO.

Mel

to be fair to the current announcers, there is no excitement, no crowd noise, and quite frankly, nothing to get excited about with this team. They have to just talk to keep people somewhat involved. 4 singles in a game isn't much to get excited about! :cheers:

Tom:
Valid points. This year has been uninteresting and, mostly, disappointing. But that makes it more challenging for the announcers. I guess I find the aimless CONSTANT chatter...uninteresting and at times annoying. I would just put on the radio broadcast, but I DVR the games. Hard to FF and still synch the radio feed. I think Shep has the makings of being a very good broadcaster

personally I don't mind the chatter, helps take my mind off how shitty watching the Tigers truly is.

Back