Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Conferences and atheltes kill EA Sports' NCAA series

While I haven't owned the series in years, I've still played it. Sad to see it go.

Great game. I better run out and get the Denard version.
At one time it was enough to be imortalized forever in a popular game.
Nice job killing it you fucking greedy bitches.

Hopefully Lindys and Sports Illustrated and all of the other sports mags plan on paying big money for every picture they use of an athlete. It looks like a precedence is being set.

Do they have to pay Aaron Hernandez for his likeness in Grand theft Auto as well?

Last edited:
Great game. I better run out and get the Denard version.
At one time it was enough to be imortalized forever in a popular game.
Nice job killing it you fucking greedy bitches.

Hopefully Lindys and Sports Illustrated and all of the other sports mags plan on paying big money for every picture they use of an athlete. It looks like a precedence is being set.

Do they have to pay Aaron Hernandez for his likeness in Grand theft Auto as well?

Could Denard pass in the video game?

Those no name douchebags ruined my pre season ritual to keep me busy before Week 1.

Is there even a realistic way to pay players? How are they going to decide who gets paid and how much? Does a kid who goes to school for half a year to play basketball deserve to get paid while he is there? He really isn't bringing any sustained notoriety to the program. 3% of college football players go pro. Are they the only ones who will get paid? Will they get paid more? How much are they going to pay backup punters? How much will of this bullshit increase tuition costs for normal students?

Note: I do not think players should be paid. They already are compensated very well. If they choose to blow their monthly rent/food stipend on stupid shit, that's their own damn fault. Are any of these guys really struggling anyway? I guarantee you every college football and men's college basketball player have a PS3 or XBox with every new game they want. They have money. They just want more. Entitlement era.

Last edited:
There was an interesting implication in the athletes' lawyer's quote, that nobody, including the NCAA, should cash in the commercial value of student-athletes. I don't think many people recognize that as true. There isn't some legal reason behind that statement, is there? It's not true of student-researchers, but students can benefit from that. It only happens in rare cases, but it's free to happen.

Students agreed that by being student-athletes that they could not exploit their personal commercial value, an agreement they lived up to. The same cannot be said about the NCAA or its partner Electronic Arts.

Last edited:
There was an interesting implication in the athletes' lawyer's quote, that nobody, including the NCAA, should cash in the commercial value of student-athletes. I don't think many people recognize that as true. There isn't some legal reason behind that statement, is there? It's not true of student-researchers, but students can benefit from that. It only happens in rare cases, but it's free to happen.

Here's an insane fact. Charles Woodson is not allowed to promote his own wine because of an NFL mandate. He can't promote it until he is out of the league.

The rules these major organizations put into place can be totally and completely stupid.

Here's an insane fact. Charles Woodson is not allowed to promote his own wine because of an NFL mandate. He can't promote it until he is out of the league.

The rules these major organizations put into place can be totally and completely stupid.

yes, because the specific application of a rule is stupid, all rules are stupid.

This makes me SICK!

Well I guess you an blame Ed O'Bannon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130926/mccann-obannon-ea-clc-settlement/

I disagree with some.. I think the players deserve some of the huge billions of dollars of of the pie... I just don't know how much..

he did get the ball rolling, eh? I'm guessing the schools figured EA was taking too much of a cut. after all... why do they deserve the massive license fees they're raking in when all they really do at this point is slap a new guy's picture on the cover, update the rosters, and tweak a few things?

There's only so much fun you can get out of playing as Threet....

I never liked playing with numbered guys anyway. I would sim 4 years of seasons to turn over all the rosters into computer generated players, then take over and play program mode. the year I had didn't really matter to me, as long as the gameplay was more realistic. I liked '06.

You go so far overboard sometimes. It's funny, but ridiculous.

well, anyways, there probably needs to be a better way to share the massive wealth college football creates. and they need to do it in a way that seems "fair" given who is contributing what to it, and safe to say, the players are probably contributing more than they get back... as a Bachelor of Arts in communications or criminal justice from USF or FIU is probably not worth the lifetime of migraine headaches, bad knees, etc. a lot of these guys leave with, even from just 4 years of college.

the problem is, paying a bunch of dumb (REALLY, REALLY DUMB) 18-22 year old guys a wad of money is just opening the floodgates of sleazy bankers, drug dealers, agents, etc. to go to town on these kids. so there needs to be a more regimented system.

Vic had an idea with the licensing fees players generate going into a big trust fund that pays out later. I'd even go further and say the fund doesn't pay you in cash until you're retired, but it does pay for health insurance for life for you & your family or something, along with life insurance.

and DO NOT let any hedge fund or i-bank run it.

Back