Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cool Izzo golf story

johnny2x2x

Izzo at ease on court, on course, in public
Michigan State coach goes out of his way to make others feel comfortable

By Teddy Greenstein, Chicago Tribune reporter
4:02 p.m. CDT, July 6, 2013

BATH, Mich. ? As we drove to the 10th tee at Eagle Eye, the starter kidded Tom Izzo. She said that after spotting him on the range, she thought of Allen Iverson's line: "We're talking about practice?!?"

"I'm the opposite of Iverson," Izzo replied. "I should only practice."

After some maintenance workers saw him roll one in on No. 14, they yelled, "Nice putt, Coach!" He waved and responded: "Routine, guys."

The drink-cart girl asked for a picture, mentioning that this would be her second with the Michigan State coach. He put his arm around her and smiled.

He carried his own bag from the parking lot, and when a fan asked: "How's your team looking?" he shot back: "Should be good if we don't screw it up."

This is Izzo, totally at ease in public. Every coach ? college or pro, football or hoops ? should be like this. He has guided the Spartans to six Final Fours and commands a reported $3.7 million salary, yet he's incapable of big-timing anyone.

After our nine holes were in the books, Izzo offered his cell number ? and his home number.

Of course his home digits are as useless as a 3-wood in a bunker. Even in the summer, Izzo hits the office by 8:15 to begin days stuffed with prospect evaluations, recruiting calls, film analysis, fundraisers, speaking engagements and, yes, golf outings. We completed the back nine in just an hour and 45 minutes.

During that stretch an incredible thing happened. Izzo asked more questions than I did: Where are you from? How did you meet your wife? Does she play golf?

I was more interested in Izzo's life.

? Why schedule so many tough nonconference games? (Answer: To prep for the NCAA tournament. In 2010, the fifth-seeded Spartans beat Tennessee to reach the Final Four. With the Spartans having faced Florida that season, they had a common opponent. That helped with game-planning.)

? How was it playing with Tiger Woods at the 2005 Buick Open pro-am? "I really like the guy. First thing he said to me was: 'Coach, you beat my (Stanford) Cards. I'm planning to take it out on you today.'"

? Is it true you played Augusta National five times in 2010? Yes, and in a span of six days. He played 54 over two days while bunking next to Butler Cabin. And then after participating in a Morten Andersen charity event in Atlanta a few days later, he got invited again.

His best round was 87. "I also shot a 103," he said. "Chipping, man."

Izzo is a member at Walnut Hills in East Lansing, but we played at Eagle Eye, one of Michigan's top public courses. Pete Dye had a hand in its design, and the 17th hole is a dead ringer for the 17th at TPC Sawgrass. Even with dimensions and a tape measure, you cannot tell the island greens apart.

(The club had a "Sergio" promotion for five days after Garcia dunked two in the water in the final round, awarding a sleeve of balls for par or better.)

When we arrived, Izzo led me by two holes with two to play. Whereas I chunked an approach on 16 and needed three to escape a bunker on 11 ? "The only thing better would be if you were a Dukie!" he cracked of his nemesis team ? Izzo was steady.

He plays a low-turnover game with a step-through swing a la Gary Player: "I'm not a long hitter, but I'm usually in the fairway and have a good short game."

Woods put it this way in 2005: "You can tell he knows how to play."

Faced with a 120-yard shot, all carry on No. 17, Izzo hit a 9-iron 30 feet past the pin and made par. I stuffed a pitching wedge to four feet.

"Heck of a shot!" Izzo exclaimed.

And when I was over my ball, he said: "I'm pulling for you."

I made the birdie, but Izzo closed me out on 18. After saying, "This will be the most important shot of my life," he ripped a hybrid from 190 yards onto the green. Clutch.

"That was fun," he said of the match, adding a good-natured needle: "I play to my competition. You brought my game down a little."

[email protected]

Twitter @TeddyGreenstein

9 holes with Tom Izzo

Five-second bio: The dean of Big Ten basketball coaches, Izzo has won seven conference titles in 18 seasons.

Where: Eagle Eye, Bath, Mich. (Blue tees, back nine: 3,315 yards).

Izzo's handicap: 13.

What he shot: 44 for nine holes.

What draws him to the game: "I love the smell of a golf course."

reminds me of my meeting with him, I ran into him at the airport in Chicago with my wife. he was right in front of me in the security line and we started chatting, he kept asking us where we were from, when we graduated, where we were heading on vacation, etc. he seemed really interested in us and was very, very friendly, told us to enjoy our vacation. seems like a really genuine person, you can tell from his interviews and the way he talks, he's not the type to one up people or throw his status around. he's perfect for MSU

also, I think he's a better player than that. He's listed as a 5 handicap on the GAM site.

I met him and his wife two summers ago. my aunt & uncle annually rent a house down the beach from his summer place, and apparently they live in the same subdivision in EL.

Izzo and his family are all nice people. his wife even brought over sun-burn lotion for my back.

...I don't get out in the sun too much.

another funny side note: most of my immediate family are Michigan alums. My youngest cousin (the aforementioned aunt & uncle's youngest kid) is enrolling this fall... at MSU. the first spartan in my immediate family. over the last couple years, Izzo brought MSU gear over to their house at the holidays and told my cousin to attend there... and lo and behold he does.

(he didn't have a high enough ACT to get into Michigan)

Last edited by a moderator:
I met him and his wife two summers ago. my aunt & uncle annually rent a house down the beach from his summer place, and apparently they live in the same subdivision in EL.

Izzo and his family are all nice people. his wife even brought over sun-burn lotion for my back.

...I don't get out in the sun too much.

another funny side note: most of my immediate family are Michigan alums. My youngest cousin (the aforementioned aunt & uncle's youngest kid) is enrolling this fall... at MSU. the first spartan in my immediate family. over the last couple years, Izzo brought MSU gear over to their house at the holidays and told my cousin to attend there... and lo and behold he does.

(he didn't have a high enough ACT to get into Michigan)

the bait has been laid out

Back