Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cost of Suh versus other options?

kingofdetroit57

I've been pretty tuned out on sports and news lately, but I'm still up to speed with most major things that penetrate my bubble of caring about. It sucks to lose Suh, but I can't help but believe we've got a good chance to end up as a better team as a result. That's assuming, of course, that we spend the money wisely... which we aren't really historically known to do.

Anyhow, just as a point of discussion, what combo of players could we sign in FA (assume that we can land whoever we want for the cost they command) for the Suh money/years we had to offer?

For example, would Suh = Tulloch + Fairley + Prater + Wilfork or something like that? If so, I'd have to believe the combo of four quality players would make us much better than one superstar. Just curoius what this means in examples of players instead of just dollars and cap space.

I've been pretty tuned out on sports and news lately, but I'm still up to speed with most major things that penetrate my bubble of caring about. It sucks to lose Suh, but I can't help but believe we've got a good chance to end up as a better team as a result. That's assuming, of course, that we spend the money wisely... which we aren't really historically known to do.

Anyhow, just as a point of discussion, what combo of players could we sign in FA (assume that we can land whoever we want for the cost they command) for the Suh money/years we had to offer?

For example, would Suh = Tulloch + Fairley + Prater + Wilfork or something like that? If so, I'd have to believe the combo of four quality players would make us much better than one superstar. Just curoius what this means in examples of players instead of just dollars and cap space.

With 9m as dead money on Suh we're not saving all that much.. In fact we're losing if you consider we don't have Suh.

With 9m as dead money on Suh we're not saving all that much.. In fact we're losing if you consider we don't have Suh.
The dead money is another sore spot. Something like $17mil total from what I heard yesterday, which is highest in the league by far, and more than entire divisions combined. Keeping the cap and dead money stuff out of this for simplicity's sake, I was just looking for easy comparables to help me feel better about losing Suh.

Post Edit - We are still "saving" about $16mil on losing Suh versus the franchise tag ($27mil vs. $9mil, right?) or something like $11mil on losing Suh versus a long-term contract rate of $20mil/yr.

Last edited:
Back