Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Court re-instates Brady suspension

The suspension itself is just stupid. Maybe......MAYBE..... one game because I think its pretty clear Brady was covering SOMETHING up. Either way, like Mitch said.......can we stop hearing about it soon? Its beyond annoying.

It's just the morons in the league office wanting to prove something. Not good for the game in any way that I can see.

The suspension itself is just stupid. Maybe......MAYBE..... one game because I think its pretty clear Brady was covering SOMETHING up. Either way, like Mitch said.......can we stop hearing about it soon? Its beyond annoying.

It's just the morons in the league office wanting to prove something. Not good for the game in any way that I can see.

The court battle wasn't about the suspension but weather the league had the right to suspend him.

In order for it to go away both sides need to stop. It doesn't look like Brady is willing to stop either.

"Brady, however, is not prepared to accept the appeals court's ruling and is exploring all his legal options with his attorneys, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

Just call a truce. Both parties seem to want to drag this out like 2 five year olds.

Nuh uh.....I'm right.

Nuh uh.....I'M right!!!

Suspend him for the entire preseason and its 4 games...... but let him play week one.

Could hurt his timing with the offense and cause a few problems for the Patriots.....but doesn't really hurt anything (he probably knows the offense fairly well by now).......just like his "crime".

Just call a truce. Both parties seem to want to drag this out like 2 five year olds.

Nuh uh.....I'm right.

Nuh uh.....I'M right!!!

Suspend him for the entire preseason and its 4 games...... but let him play week one.

Could hurt his timing with the offense and cause a few problems for the Patriots.....but doesn't really hurt anything (he probably knows the offense fairly well by now).......just like his "crime".

suspend him for the pre season? lol...every elite player would deflate balls so they wouldn't have to play those games!

All i know is the court says the suspension wasn't warranty so let it go. Move on. The league tried and lost. Case closed.

All i know is the court says the suspension wasn't warranty so let it go. Move on. The league tried and lost. Case closed.

That's not what the court said. The first court said that the commissioner didn't have the right to suspend him under the CBA. That ruling was found wrong by the superior court.

This whole thing is so stupid. The league is happy to ignore real crime (Rice) and cover up real science (CTEs), but they are going to fight deflated footballs to the death? It wouldn't have even changed the game where it happened. What are they trying to accomplish. They obviously don't care about the integrity of the game (replacement refs). They don't care about image or safety. I am getting closer and closer to giving up on the NFL.

This is a collective bargaining issue. They gave Goodell power, he used his power. The court said he was right to use the power he was given. Also with Brady failing to cooperate he did himself no favors.

Brady was worried about his image and appeared to make no effort to resolve this in any way that wasn't to have 0 games. Sounds like he got hammered for destroying the phone by the judge.

In the end it doesn't really matter, he broke the rules, he got caught, he is suspended 4 games, the patriots will still probably make the playoffs.

This is a collective bargaining issue. They gave Goodell power, he used his power. The court said he was right to use the power he was given. Also with Brady failing to cooperate he did himself no favors.

Brady was worried about his image and appeared to make no effort to resolve this in any way that wasn't to have 0 games. Sounds like he got hammered for destroying the phone by the judge.

In the end it doesn't really matter, he broke the rules, he got caught, he is suspended 4 games, the patriots will still probably make the playoffs.

Great post.

Anyone who thinks Brady is innocent is a fool.

That said....the NFL's front office seems to be full of giant douchbags that care less about safety and violent off field behavior than they do about proving what a big dick they swing.

All parties walk away looking like idiots, IMO.

That's not what the court said. The first court said that the commissioner didn't have the right to suspend him under the CBA. That ruling was found wrong by the superior court.

I completely read this wrong. I saw "Court re-instates Brady" without seeing the suspension part.

I completely read this wrong. I saw "Court re-instates Brady" without seeing the suspension part.

You get your news from this forum?

This story has been front page for two days.

Here's how I see it; I don't really see this as apples to oranges if anybody else does - in baseball, if you scuff a baseball, you get ejected and miss a start.

Recent suspensions for corked bats have been about 8 games.

That's screwing with equipment.

Now, the penalty for the juicing is 50 games - a little more than a quarter of the season.

Eight games is about 5 percent of the season.

So the league is hitting Brady with a juicing type penalty for screwing with equipment.

The equivalent to baseball is less than a whole game.

So...this is what I thought all along - everybody agrees to a suspension for the first half of the first game.

Here's how I see it; I don't really see this as apples to oranges if anybody else does - in baseball, if you scuff a baseball, you get ejected and miss a start.

Now, the penalty for the juicing is 50 games - a little more than a quarter of the season.

So the league is hitting Brady with a juicing type penalty for screwing with equipment.

So...this is what I thought all along - everybody agrees to a suspension for the first half of the first game.

I don't really pay attention to stuff like this because it doesn't interest me. Nor do I gander at ESPN much. So I was a bit out of the loop.

I think most people would agree that the reason he got such a long suspension wasn't because of what he did but because he didn't co-operate and the cover up.

I disagree. But then, I disagree with a lesser punishment for scuffing a baseball too.

The fact is, whether it's steroids or equipment tampering, cheating is something sports cannot allow and should come down full force on.

Fans watch sports to witness the great moments of human achievement, to see ordinary men become heroes under pressure. That's why we are fans. None of us watch to see Craig Counsell hit a single with the bases empty in the bottom of the 4th. We watch to see Kirk Gibson hit the long ball with no meat left in his knees and trot the bases almost falling over in pain.

When people cheat, it diminishes why we even watch, and that's when the business of pro sports suffers.

Imagine if Barry Bonds had hit 73 HRs in 2001 completely clean. We'd be telling our grandkids about the greatest home run season in history instead of telling them why his #73 ball has a red asterisks branded into the leather.

Every sport should absolutely come down like a hammer on any player found cheating in any way. I still believe Albert "Don't Call Me Joey" Bell should have been suspended the entire season for the corked bat and then another 50 games for trying to steal the evidence.

There's no room for cheaters in sports, even though we sometimes love them for their shenanigans. You'd be hard pressed to find a baseball fan that didn't find Gaylord Perry's spitballs and his fairly open admissions of them to be somewhat loveable. He even alluded to them in his Hall of Fame speech. But you'd also be hard pressed to find anyone that didn't logically know he probably shouldn't have been inducted based on the fact he used a lot of shit to load his pitches too.

Ink, I agree with stark cheating like fixing a match, but so much else is shades of gray. Heck, some things we would consider cheating in one Era are simply part of the game in another. In baseball, how many times has the mound been changed? In basketball more points are now awarded for longer jumpers and several defensive practices have been banned. In football, rules are constantly tweaked that make games from even 10 years ago look like a totally different league.

Further, we can't escape that sports are products of their times. There are supplements that can be bought over the counter today that would been considered cheating in the past. The improvements in training and food Science means today's athletes would look like raided out freaks in 1950.

My point isn't that cheating doesn't happen or matter, more that it is subjective. Barry hitting 73 Homer's was amazing to see, no matter what he was on. Certainly no one else could do it even though they all had access to the same enhancers. Was he cheating? It depends on how you view the rest of the league. Did he really have an unfair advantage, or was everyone on the same level?

Is deflating balls cheating? Yeah, probably. But did it have any real impact on the game? Probably not. I can't pretend to watch football caring about the little things. If I did, I wouldn't be able to watch it. Every single game I watch I suspend disbelief, I pretend it doesn't matter that I'm contributing to immoral and exploitative owners, that at least one guy on the field is an abuser or criminal, that the game itself ruins brains, that the game desensitized us to violence and misogyny in our culture, and that nothing I say or do has any bearing on the outcome. Decrying cheating is fine and well, but we only know in our own heads how much cheating really matters. If deflating footballs won the Lions a championship, would all of us still condemn it? Would we even consider it wrong?

The power and the way Roger uses it just seems werid to me. The let guys bash their wives and girl friends and get slapped on the wrists. They left AP whip his kid and he only gets a year when he should have been been banned for life. The let guys fail drug test after drug test before suspensied them for good. The NFL knew about concussions and did nothing until challenged. This is just a stuipid power play by the league and 20 Million dollars later it still is stupid that we are talking about deflated footballs and Brady. I hope Brady appeals. I hope unless the Lions win the Super Bowl I hope New England does and when they hand the Mvp trophy to Brady he says
"Fuck off Roger on national tv. Just give it to my line men who protected me this year,"
Now that would be great. The NFL Monopoly is one of the biggest cheaters out there as an organization.

Back