Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cowboys release LB Jaylon Smith

boogerlovejoy

Um........whatever we have to do. Lets get him in the building......unless he was cut for an off the field issue. He would INSTANTLY be our best LB.

Last edited:
I'm sure the Lions are the last team that he would want to sign with. He will probably sign with a contender.

I'm sure the Lions are the last team that he would want to sign with. He will probably sign with a contender.

Probably.....but sometimes......$$$ talks.

We're the Lions....we better get used to having to overpay for FA unless we actually right the ship.

Either way.....maybe a 2 year deal that would really act like a 1 year deal with an option to extend/release after this year. Keeps cap # down.....gives us an out if he is nothing more than Boss Bailey.

People say he?s been bad lately. Watching the Lions this season, I can say that bad is relative. Worth a shot if the price is reasonable.

He only has played 40% of his his snaps this season compared to 86% last season.

He only has played 40% of his his snaps this season compared to 86% last season.

Cowboys have better LBs this year, didn?t need to play him much. Between that and his bloated contract, it made sense to cut him.

Cowboys have better LBs this year, didn?t need to play him much. Between that and his bloated contract, it made sense to cut him.

I didn't explain it well but I was trying to say the same thing, he's not Dallas first options - so lets go get him.

I read an article that said he was expendable due to the Cowboys drafting Parsons in the 1st and Cox in the 4th in last years draft.

2 guys the Lions passed on in the draft are better than the guy Lions fans are hoping gets signed:lmao:

I read an article that said he was expendable due to the Cowboys drafting Parsons in the 1st and Cox in the 4th in last years draft.

2 guys the Lions passed on in the draft are better than the guy Lions fans are hoping gets signed:lmao:

At least we have Onwuzurike and McNeill lol ugh

Both guys are not going to sign with a team who is one of the worst in the league. I wouldnt want either, either. Gilmore is 31 and would be a waste of cap space for a team that needs to focus on developing young talent. Jaylon Smith is young enough to be here for 5+ years and could be an interesting signing, but he has been widly inconsistent. Couple that with an effort problem and that is not something I want around these young guys.

Both guys are not going to sign with a team who is one of the worst in the league. I wouldnt want either, either. Gilmore is 31 and would be a waste of cap space for a team that needs to focus on developing young talent. Jaylon Smith is young enough to be here for 5+ years and could be an interesting signing, but he has been widly inconsistent. Couple that with an effort problem and that is not something I want around these young guys.

We are the 2003 Tigers. We absolutely need to take chances on players with upside at this point. Like Dombrowski did with Pudge and Magglio.

I agree with you about Gilmore. Would be great.....but vets are looking to win and he would be nothing but high price wasted talent here.

With Smith, however, that is exactly the type of player we SHOULD bring in.....especially now. Let's see what he's got. What do we have to lose? He wouldn't be taking playing time from another young LB (I would imagine we'd still start Barnes) and he was a 1st round talent that either didn't fit a scheme or fell out of favor with a coach that didn't draft him. If he's willing to chase playing time or the $$ over winning (young guys are more likely to do that) I'd give him a chance.

Last edited:
We are the 2003 Tigers. We absolutely need to take chances on players with upside at this point. Like Dombrowski did with Pudge and Magglio.

I agree with you about Gilmore. Would be great.....but vets are looking to win and he would be nothing but high price wasted talent here.

With Smith, however, that is exactly the type of player we SHOULD bring in.....especially now. Let's see what he's got. What do we have to lose? He wouldn't be taking playing time from another young LB (I would imagine we'd still start Barnes) and he was a 1st round talent that either didn't fit a scheme or fell out of favor with a coach that didn't draft him. If he's willing to chase playing time or the $$ over winning (young guys are more likely to do that) I'd give him a chance.

It all depends on what the issue with him is. If he is just not playing up to the level he is being paid to then I would take a shot that a new scheme and change of scenery will help. If his issue is effort then signing with a team in a lost season isn't going to change much there. I would rather bad work habits and effort not rub off on the young guys who may be struggling, but are busting their ass everyday to get better. Pretty much the exact reason we got rid of Collins.

Nobody wants to come here right now.

2023 for bigger free agents most likely. Or really overpay in 2022 offseason. Gonna have to be the draft next 2 seasons and this class develops

Anything to get Anzalone off the field.

I don't want to criticize Price too much as be was just put into this situation out of the desperation of others.

That said, and maybe it's just me, I feel like Price, Harris, and Anzalone are The 3 Stooges equivalent in football.

I don't want to criticize Price too much as be was just put into this situation out of the desperation of others.

That said, and maybe it's just me, I feel like Price, Harris, and Anzalone are The 3 Stooges equivalent in football.

He was actually pretty solid against the Ravens minus that 4th and 19 and like you said he was thrown into something he definitely was not ready for. The thing with him is most of his errors are clearly mental so he may be able to clean those up. Harris just sucks at everything. Not sure what this staff sees in him because its been three years now and I can't remember a Lions defender who has consistently played this bad and that is saying something. Like seriously, he was the worst defender on one of the worst defense of all time last year.

Back