Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Damion Terry went off today

nobody except Jonny2x

of course it's something to talk about at this time of the year but I don't think anyone is giving him the Heisman just yet.

again, hearing that a freshman is surprising the coaching staff with good performances against a top ranked defense is a good thing

I was simply pointing out the other side of the argument that fans often fail to acknowledge. Because someone does awesome in practice or in a scrimmage against your own defense does not really mean much.

I understand. I just know it would be something different if it was a michigan player. After watching your defense last year, knowing who your DC is. If I heard about Morris putting up big numbers against your 1's and Gardner putting up so so numbers, I wouldn't say your defense must suck then. You are a fucking strange person.

of course it's something to talk about at this time of the year but I don't think anyone is giving him the Heisman just yet.

again, hearing that a freshman is surprising the coaching staff with good performances against a top ranked defense is a good thing

Well, it's a good thing for us, not for Michigan though. I guess I can understand their pessimism

I understand. I just know it would be something different if it was a michigan player. After watching your defense last year, knowing who your DC is. If I heard about Morris putting up big numbers against your 1's and Gardner putting up so so numbers, I wouldn't say your defense must suck then. You are a fucking strange person.

It was an extreme comment for a reason. If Morris was putting up big numbers on our D, honestly, I'd be worried about our D. Ideally, in practice, you'd like it to be as even as it possibly can be - right? Having one side dominate the other means something isn't right.

If his stats truly came against your first team D, it's likely not a good thing.

Has anyone accounted for the fact that a QB in a scrimmage wears a red jersey? If so, fine, but I'm not going to review the wreckage that is this thread to discover that. When I was five, I had a running argument with a classmate over which was the largest snake in the world: the python or the anaconda. We did not care whether or not we were right, because the argument was not about that. Neither is this argument about the accomplishments of a freshman QB in a scrimmage.

Has anyone accounted for the fact that a QB in a scrimmage wears a red jersey? If so, fine, but I'm not going to review the wreckage that is this thread to discover that. When I was five, I had a running argument with a classmate over which was the largest snake in the world: the python or the anaconda. We did not care whether or not we were right, because the argument was not about that. Neither is this argument about the accomplishments of a freshman QB in a scrimmage.

MSU has been going live with their QB's since spring practice, it's a new thing this year

Last edited:
Dantonio needs to see what his QBs can do in game conditions, they were live in spring ball and they've been live in the scrimmages, just not in practice obviously.

What Terry did was good for the team, it served notice to the other QBs that the bar is being raised and everyone needs to step up. It also is great for the defense to face a mobile QB who can create plays and throw on the run, it's what we'll see from several key opponents.

As for Terry, he's a special kid and a born leader. He was rated as a 4 star pro style QB, but I doubt many of the other pro stye QBs that were ranked with him have 4.5 speed with the stop and start ability he has. His film from high school showed me an extremely accurate thrower on the run. Kid had 48 TDs passing his senior year to go along with 700 yards and 11 TDs rushing. His team went 15-0 and won the state title in PA's 2nd toughest division. The competition he shredded in high school was elite.

Going live with QBs was probably the right choice. The injury risk is mitigated by the fact that all the QBs are pretty much even anyway. If we had a star QB or even set starter, we probably don't go live to make sure they stay healthy. Right now, while the job is Maxwell's to lose, I think the team isn't going to be well off if he actually wins it. Maxwell has a big arm and that's about it. He doesn't make great reads and doesn't throw with great accuracy. Maybe he got a lot better in the offseason, but I won't hold my breath. I would rather roll with a younger QB that has more chance of developing throughout the season.

Going live with QBs was probably the right choice. The injury risk is mitigated by the fact that all the QBs are pretty much even anyway. If we had a star QB or even set starter, we probably don't go live to make sure they stay healthy. Right now, while the job is Maxwell's to lose, I think the team isn't going to be well off if he actually wins it. Maxwell has a big arm and that's about it. He doesn't make great reads and doesn't throw with great accuracy. Maybe he got a lot better in the offseason, but I won't hold my breath. I would rather roll with a younger QB that has more chance of developing throughout the season.

i'd expect to see someone transfer based on the depth chart, if O'Connor is ahead of cook or if Terry is ahead of O'Connor. this could be similar to when Cousins beat out Nick Foles in 2008

I think you can write off any chances of the rose bowl if DT is our QB this year

going back to this...

there are a couple possibilities:
1.) Terry is really that great and is going to have an amazing season as a true frosh... but the last time a true freshman QB had a great season and his team won a Big Ten title or even came close was Chad Henne in '04. maybe you could count Terrelle Pryor in '08, even though he wasn't the starter all year. and both of those teams had better supporting casts for their QB to rely on.

2.) this is a bad sign that the coaches either: failed to develop Maxwell into a competent starter or are feeling desperate enough to throw an 18-year-old kid out there because their other QBs are just not stepping up.

Obviously I have no idea what will happen, but given how rare successful true-frosh QBs are and the likelihood that a young quick QB will rely too much on his legs and end up getting hurt or limiting his development as a passer... I'd lean toward #2.

either way, looks like Dantonio has guaranteed himself a QB controversy to deal with once his starter (whoever it is) struggles in a loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
going back to this...

there are a couple possibilities:
1.) Terry is really that great and is going to have an amazing season as a true frosh... but the last time a true freshman QB had a great season and his team won a Big Ten title or even came close was Chad Henne in '04. maybe you could count Terrelle Pryor in '08, even though he wasn't the starter all year. and both of those teams had better supporting casts for their QB to rely on.

2.) this is a bad sign that the coaches either: failed to develop Maxwell into a competent starter or are feeling desperate enough to throw an 18-year-old kid out there because their other QBs are just not stepping up.

Obviously I have no idea what will happen, but given how rare successful true-frosh QBs are and the likelihood that a young quick QB will rely too much on his legs and end up getting hurt or limiting his development as a passer... I'd lean toward #2.

either way, looks like Dantonio has guaranteed himself a QB controversy to deal with once his starter (whoever it is) struggles in a loss.

Id call this a qb crisis more than a controversy. I think terry is going to be an effective starter in a few years but this also speaks to the lack of confidence in maxwell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Id call this a qb crisis more than a controversy. I think terry is going to be an effective starter in a few years but this also speaks to the lack of confidence in maxwell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

To be fair, a reasonable lack of confidence in Maxwell. He's not going to be a superstar with our WRs anyway, but he was bad on his own too.

I agree this is a crisis. Maxwell proved nothing last year and if the competition is to believed no one is making an easy argument to replace him. If no one is better than Maxwell, then we are really just picking between who sucks the least rather than who is the best.

To be fair, a reasonable lack of confidence in Maxwell. He's not going to be a superstar with our WRs anyway, but he was bad on his own too.

I agree this is a crisis. Maxwell proved nothing last year and if the competition is to believed no one is making an easy argument to replace him. If no one is better than Maxwell, then we are really just picking between who sucks the least rather than who is the best.

exactly, it's almost a week before the first game and you have four guys repping with the 1's. they may not all be terrible but you'd think there would be some kind of separation.

Back