Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dantonio

Apologies - by last 4 years I meant 4 most recent seasons (2013, 12, 11 and 10). OSU beating Oregon and PSU beating LSU both happened in 2009 - before they both shit the bed. OSU beating Arkansas in 2010 is a decent win. NW beating 8-5 (4-4) Miss State is not even close to remarkable. Iowa is 1 & 1 in bowl games in that stretch beating an overrated Missouri team in 2010 and getting rolled by OU in 2011. But even if I give you the win over Missouri, counting the MSU/GA that I already named, that's 3 quality non-conference wins in nearly 60 games, 1 in the last 3 seasons and zero in the last 2. In those 60 games the B1G has suffered several ass kickings and plenty of embarrassing losses to crappy teams.

Um, the Big Ten has been suffering ass kickings in non conference play since the 60s. Take any 3-1/2 year span (since that was your new criteria) and you will not find the B1G with more than 1 or 2 big non conference wins since the 60s. Not a lot has changed.

Like I said before, absolutely terrible as a conference in the 70s and 80s, just embarrassingly bad. Better in the 90s when Penn State joined, decent in the late 90s and early 2000s when we won 1-1/2 National Titles but not much else in terms of big non conference wins. And back to being what we've mostly been since the 80s these last 10 years. Michigan is down, MSU is up. Penn State is down Wisky is up, Iowa and Minny are half way decent, Ohio State is elite, that's about what the Big has been for a long long time. Nebraska is around #25. What's the big difference between the B1G and what it has mostly been for a long time?

I think you're imagining that at some period in time the B1G regularly had 3 or 4 teams in the top 15 year in and year out, never happend. Since joining the B1G, Penn State has been unranked to end the season almost as often as they've been ranked. Michigan has averaged being ranked around 18-20 to end the last 20 seasons. Ohio State is doing better than they've averaged. As is MSU and Wisconsin. Iowa is about what they usually are. Minny is better than they usually are. Illinois, Purdue, Indiana are not great.

It's not a super strong B1G by any means, it's just basically an average Big Ten, right along lines with most of the seasons we've seen in the last 20 years or so.

Um, the Big Ten has been suffering ass kickings in non conference play since the 60s. Take any 3-1/2 year span (since that was your new criteria) and you will not find the B1G with more than 1 or 2 big non conference wins since the 60s. Not a lot has changed.

Like I said before, absolutely terrible as a conference in the 70s and 80s, just embarrassingly bad. Better in the 90s when Penn State joined, decent in the late 90s and early 2000s when we won 1-1/2 National Titles but not much else in terms of big non conference wins. And back to being what we've mostly been since the 80s these last 10 years. Michigan is down, MSU is up. Penn State is down Wisky is up, Iowa and Minny are half way decent, Ohio State is elite, that's about what the Big has been for a long long time. Nebraska is around #25. What's the big difference between the B1G and what it has mostly been for a long time?

I think you're imagining that at some period in time the B1G regularly had 3 or 4 teams in the top 15 year in and year out, never happend. Since joining the B1G, Penn State has been unranked to end the season almost as often as they've been ranked. Michigan has averaged being ranked around 18-20 to end the last 20 seasons. Ohio State is doing better than they've averaged. As is MSU and Wisconsin. Iowa is about what they usually are. Minny is better than they usually are. Illinois, Purdue, Indiana are not great.

It's not a super strong B1G by any means, it's just basically an average Big Ten, right along lines with most of the seasons we've seen in the last 20 years or so.

I'm not imagining any such thing - other than the SEC lately, no conference regularly has 3 or 4 top 15 teams over the last 30 or 40 years. The B1G is absolutely worse than it was in the 90s and early 2000s and is arguably at all-time lows. Nobody, other than you would say Michigan is about what they have been over the last 20 years - that is just plain stupid. Carr lost 3 B1G games just 3 times in 13 seasons - 2 of them were his first 2. OSU would have gotten DESTROYED in the NC last year and they're not a whole lot better this year. So michigan sucks, osu is mediocre despite their record against nobody ooc and a shitty B1G. PSU stinks, Minny is better than usual but they still stink and Illinois, Purdue, NW and IU all suck.

Back