Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dats and/or Z in Hall of Fame?

tigersofjustice

At this point what do you think each of their chances are?

I like Dats but he's going to have trouble getting the total numbers because he started so late. His final goal total is going to be lower than most hall of famers.

That said, even though he's only at 767 points, that is basically a point a game. He gets a point a game for his career and gets close to 1000, which I think he will, that seems to be a lock at that point considering he is also a top notch defensive player. He's second in active plus minus which a bunch of players in the mix that have played many many more games.

Z is a bit of a closer call for me. He's only at 672 points. He has fewer games that Datsyuk but also has the benefit of being 3 years younger. That said, he also has clearly fallen off more physically than Datsyuk so it might not matter. Also a top notch defensive player but not at the same level as Datsyuk. He might struggle to get to 1000 points which might be required for him to get in. I think he will make it past 1000 and probably be a HOF but it might take a few votes.

If they both play 4 or so more years I think they have a decent shot. Point totals will be down for pretty much all Hall of Fame inductees of this era across the board. Both players were among the most dominant of their era, and the have already had a lot of playoff success. If they lead the Wings to another cup, they are in for sure.

Yeah, I also looked at this and thought One More Cup. Hate to say it, but how often one's name gets on the Cup carries more weight than total points. They can both be above 900 points and get in if they win the Cup again. If they don't then it becomes a less assured vote.

Still kills me the Wings failed to get the Cup back-to-back vs Pens, that would have meant they are current locks for HoF, IMO.

I think with Zetterberg's Conn Smythe Trophy, as well as doing a great job locking down Crosby in the Finals really helps his HoF case.

With Datsyuk, his 3 Selke's, and widely considered by his peers one of the best all around players in the NHL for a number of years, helps too. The thing that sucks, is Datsyuk was a late starter so he won't have a crazy point total, but the guy is flat out one of the all time great Hockey players.

I think Pav and Z need to win 1 more Cup together as the top players to solidify HoF status, and i believe they will.

Last edited:
Back