Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Defensive 2013 UFA's

alanclark1

As many as nine key contributors could be unrestricted free agents next season, including franchised defensive end Cliff Avril, who has until July 16 to reach a long-term deal with the team.
In addition to Avril, defensive tackles Corey Williams and Sammie Hill, defensive end Lawrence Jackson, linebackers DeAndre Levy and Justin Durant, safety Louis Delmas and cornerbacks Chris Houston and Jacob Lacey are all scheduled to be unrestricted free agents next season.

Without a long term deal Cliff will not be a Lion in 2013. We would then take his money and spread it around in hope to keep a some of the other players.

As many as nine key contributors could be unrestricted free agents next season, including franchised defensive end Cliff Avril, who has until July 16 to reach a long-term deal with the team.
In addition to Avril, defensive tackles Corey Williams and Sammie Hill, defensive end Lawrence Jackson, linebackers DeAndre Levy and Justin Durant, safety Louis Delmas and cornerbacks Chris Houston and Jacob Lacey are all scheduled to be unrestricted free agents next season.

It is unlikely all of those players make it to next offseason without a new contract. Houston, Delmas, and one of Williams/Hill will almost surely be offered a new contract soon. Levy and Durant are fine players, but also not that difficult to find equal talent on the cheap or in the draft (they certainly are no Tulloch). Jackson is a career backup, not a high priority player (if we keep Avril, he'll be playing a ton of snaps, if not, we'll have the money to pursue someone better than Jackson).

It's been quite a while since Detroit ever worried about it's own FAs, we haven't had much irreplaceable talent in the last decade. I don't doubt the front office will keep the players they need. But we are still looking for upgrades in the secondary and LB corps, and we just aren't going to keep everyone every year.

Lions can re-sign Delmas(franchise worse case which isn't bad for safeties), Lee-Hill, Lo Jack and Durant no problem. Durant should be cheaper than Tulloch and Tullochs contract wasn't bad. 3 million expired from Durant this season can be used to get him under contract next year with that same space. Of course it will rise over time like Tullochs contract too. Levy has alot to prove this year because I think one of the 3 LBs drafted over the past 2 years could take his place or even Palmer. Chris Houston will be the toughest to re-sign if he has a good year given what Finnegan, Carr, Carlos Rogers and Eric Wright got. Corey Williams is old and depends how much money he wants but Fairley is clearly the starting replacement. CW's cap number is 5 million so if you could re-sign him for half that would be good. Gosder and Jason Hanson contracts expire too which is about 5 million in space. Both of them are gone. I think Burleson and KVB could be cut too to use that money for all those defenders and to use on the increases in Stafford, Suh and Tulloch.

Stafford and Suh will have huge cap numbers. An extension for one of them is a must.

Neither Levy nor Durant should be considered surefire signings. Levy has consistently been at or near the league lead in blown tackles since he's been here, and he's not exactly making it up by being a pass-rusher or coverage guy. Durant still can't stay healthy and is poor against the run himself. I wouldn't mind replacing either/both of them with rookies and lower tier free agents (which is exactly what Durant was when we first signed him).

Delmas, SLH and Houston are the only guys on that list that matter and shouldnt be that difficult to sign. Willie Young could pan out to be a better verson of LJ if he continues to get beeter vs the run.

IF this years draft pans out, I really only seeing the Lions signing one of the LB's.

Lacey is just a stop gap, once again they will have to rely on this years draft for one of the CB's to come through.

Houston & Delmas probably a must, we need some continuity in the secondary.

CW & SLH, one needs to be signed, frankly I have some concerns about Fairley.

As far as Avril, It sounds like a deal isnt too far off. Once again, this years draft class will dictate who they can afford to keep in 2013.

KVB might be out next year, I guess his health and our salary cap issues will determine his fate as well as W Young & Lewis's development.
LoJack will not be a coveted FA and should come reasonable

Last edited:
IF this years draft pans out, I really only seeing the Lions signing one of the LB's.

Lacey is just a stop gap, once again they will have to rely on this years draft for one of the CB's to come through.

Houston & Delmas probably a must, we need some continuity in the secondary.

CW & SLH, one needs to be signed, frankly I have some concerns about Fairley.

As far as Avril, It sounds like a deal isnt too far off. Once again, this years draft class will dictate who they can afford to keep in 2013.

KVB might be out next year, I guess his health and our salary cap issues will determine his fate as well as W Young & Lewis's development.
LoJack will not be a coveted FA and should come reasonable

Agree with everything you said. CW comes back only if he takes a reasonable deal but I think he's good enough somebody still offers him somethign so SLH will be the one back. Big year for Fairley to prove some things.

As for KVB and Burleson with their restructures before, both may be gone to make room. And also Raiola could be cut and Hansons contract expires(3mil) so those guys may let go and let walk to make cap room. I have no problem there and drafting a center and finding a random kicker. Although I could see KVB taking a pay cut to remain. He is the only Lion I could see taking a straight pay cut.

So KVB,Burleson,Raiola,Hanson,Levy and Gosder Cherilus is the list I could see not on the team next year and maybe Corey Williams.

Last edited:
Fairley hasn't been suspended yet, has he? And if he hasn't been suspended yet, do you guys think he will be, or is it still going through the courts before that decision will be made?

2 games at least for Fairley. Maybe more as the evading police was worse than LeShoure

Fairley hasn't been suspended yet, has he? And if he hasn't been suspended yet, do you guys think he will be, or is it still going through the courts before that decision will be made?

I just think Fairley will turn out to be an average player...maybe its his work ethic, idk, but something tells me a 1st round bust

I just think Fairley will turn out to be an average player...maybe its his work ethic, idk, but something tells me a 1st round bust

Work ethic?

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/06/detroit_lions_nick_fairley_has.html

"He's been hustling, he's been working very hard, and he's shown his talent," Schwartz said. "Last year, his biggest setback was the injury. He was never really 100 percent for a long period of time. Then in (this) offseason, he was set back by off-the-field things, but his haven, so to speak, has been the weight room, the field, and the meeting rooms. He's done a good job in all those areas."

"He's had an outstanding offseason out here on-the-field," Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said. "Not so good off-the-field, but he's been outstanding in practice here. He's worked his butt off."

There's only one worry IMO: Stupidity.

Last I checked, Fairley was close to dominant when healthy, even against some of the best O-lines in the game (New Orleans). The only way he's a bust is if he gets suspended indefinitely or gets himself in jail. And no, a couple dumb mistakes don't make either of those situations likely.

Its like an added free player since his production wasn't there because of injuries, shorten camp etc. I'm looking forward to seeing him next to Suh consistently.

you guys all appear to be hip to the scenario so there's not much else to say about this one. good job gays, I mean guys!

Last edited:
Really the only draft pick that did anything from last years class was Titus. I expect Fairley to show us why he was rated high in the draft. And I hope Mikel can show us something but I worry that he may never be able to rebound from the injury. When your as cap strapped as we are we have to rely on rookies and players on rookie deals to fill in for the veterans we will have to let go.

Back