Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmas flying in for a physical

alanclark

Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told reporters at last month?s NFL Scouting Combine that Louis Delmas? injury history would be taken into consideration when deciding whether to re-sign the talented young safety or not.
?I think that we really focus on an injury history, injury background, on their personal character, football character, their playing ability, obviously,? Mayhew said when asked about Delmas specifically.
?But the injury question always comes into play. It?s something that you always want to be aware of, you want to know what you?re buying and I think that?s going to be a factor going forward for a lot of our free agents.?
Mayhew said the Lions? doctors were ?still evaluating his situation and ? making those decisions.?
According to ESPN?s Adam Schefter, the Lions have flown Delmas back to Allen Park for a physical. Free agency begins Tuesday at 4 p.m.
The Lions have always wanted Delmas back for 2013 and beyond. He?s the heart and soul of the Lions? defense and one of their few play makers on that side of the football.
It was never a question of his talent, but rather a worry that the 13 games he?s missed the last two seasons because of knee troubles might be a concerning trend.
The Lions are going to do their homework. Hopefully the physical checks out and that?s the last hurdle to him being re-signed.

I hope we resign him to a reasonable deal. He makes a huge difference when healthy and I see him finally shaking the injury bug and really contributing.

I hope we resign him to a reasonable deal. He makes a huge difference when healthy and I see him finally shaking the injury bug and really contributing.

So you are a doctor, gave him a physical, and he passed it?

If he is and is likely to stay healthy, I'm all for it, but I'm not too optimistic given his track record. I'd take a lesser player who can stay on the field over a stud who regularly misses big chunks of time.

Nope no medical degree and havent even met the man. But if we let him walk and he does become a great player for another team and stops getting injured then you all would be here calling Mayhew an idiot and blah blah blah. We know what he can do when he is close to healthy so for a reasonable deal he is worth it.

Agreed. Get Delmas back but get some Delmas insurance in the draft.

Dawan Landry cut as well. Former Raven.

And Chris Gamble was cut by the Panthers if we don't get Houston back

The secondary class in FA is getting decent for depth. Not really any number 1's but some decent number 2 guys. If we cant get houston back we can really replace him with someone comparable and we can still get Milliner in the draft making the secondary better then its been since IDK the 60's. Which isnt hard considering its been dismal since Night train lane.

Improvements at CB are all over the place with all these released vets.

Its nice to see some available options in the secondary. Its such a weak position for this team and it really needs to be addressed in FA and perhaps the draft. But right now this defense is in real trouble. We have 2 very good DTs and one above average MLB then a bunch of ?s.

Yep it is douchbaggery at its best, I admit. But your statement is LKP-esque at his best thinking Delmas will be all sunshine and roses health-wise. Hope he is, but wouldn't count on it.

I've seen Stafford miss a bunch of games then play in a bunch of games in a row. We'll see how the surgery holds up as each injury is different. Delams wasn't limited the last 3 games snap wise but who knows how his knee felt after the games.

Yep it is douchbaggery at its best, I admit. But your statement is LKP-esque at his best thinking Delmas will be all sunshine and roses health-wise. Hope he is, but wouldn't count on it.

you're right. More than likely every player on this team will hit IR and we will lose all 16 games. I never said I guarantee he will ride into ford field on a unicorn and become the second come of Ronnie Lott. I said he was worth a reasonable deal and that he may have gotten past his injuries and be able to stay healthy.

There is a reason why Mayhew kept mentioning injury in his response. You may hope and wish and think but they want to know.

Back