Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young just ripped New York a new asshole

jrange378

What a steal getting him for nothing. This guy is so clutch.

this board just was not the same with another asshole thread...

jrange378 said:

DD did a great job this year. Fister and Young have been big reasons that we got hot.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
jrange378 said:

DD did a great job this year. Fister and Young have been big reasons that we got hot.

I attribute it to both Leyland and DD...2 guys who get way more punishment than they should. DD's was justified early but he's more than redeemed himself over and over. As far as Leyland, he makes some moves that seem like bad ones but how many times do those moves work out and go unnoticed? Even something as small as hitting Delmon in the 3 hole..I wanted him to hit 7 when he got here but that move alone has paid off greatly.

I give a lot of credit to DD. He could have had Ubaldo but went with Fister because the overall price was way better. I thought Fister was good but he has been amazing since he came over. I liked the Betemit deal as well. He is a solid player. then when we were able to get Young for nothing and he has produced from min one. And I believe they will all be back for another run next year.

MI_Thumb said:
this board just was not the same with another asshole thread...

Wanna be careful with any thread that references both "asshole" and "Fister..."

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="MI_Thumb":3fn0iea2]this board just was not the same with another asshole thread...

Wanna be careful with any thread that references both "asshole" and "Fister..."[/quote:3fn0iea2]

lol true story.

I dont know why people were saying DD should be fired. Look at all the good trades and acquisitions he has had. Cabby for nothing, Martinez at a good price, Fister for a fitfth starter at best and a 4th outfielder, Delmon for nothing, Betemit for guys who might not even play in the bigs. Only real bad trade he made was the Washburn one.

suh said:
I dont know why people were saying DD should be fired. Look at all the good trades and acquisitions he has had. Cabby for nothing, Martinez at a good price, Fister for a fitfth starter at best and a 4th outfielder, Delmon for nothing, Betemit for guys who might not even play in the bigs. Only real bad trade he made was the Washburn one.

Well nobody has been saying it since all of the moves this year seem to have worked out so far, but before acquiring Martinez, Betemit, Fister, and Young the Tigers hadn't been able to get over that hump. I don't think anybody is saying fire DD now.

NOTABLE TRADES+SIGNINGS FROM 02 (when he was hired) to 2008

NOTABLE TRADES

Weaver and Cash for Pena, Germany and Bondo

Randall Simon for peanuts

peanuts for Roberston and scrubs

Ramon Santiago and Juan Gonzo for guillen

Cody Ross for Steve Colyer

Urbina and Martinez for Polonco

Brian Rodgers for Sean Casey

Humberto Sanchez and Peanuts for Sheffield

Craig Monroe n cash for PTBNL Clay Rapada

Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez for Renteria (That one stings)

Infante for Jaque Jones (Sounded good at the time)

Maybin, Miller, Burdenhop,De la Cruz and Rabelo for Cabby and Willis

Mike Hernandez for Galarraga

Pudge to bring back Farnsworth

-------------

(POST 08)

Peanuts for Laird

Joyce for Edwin

French and Robles for Washburn

Jacobsen for Aubrey Huff

Grandy n Edwin for Austin, Coke, Max, Schlereth

Soto for Peralta

Sizemore for Purcey

? for Betemit (Can't remember that one and its not on the page I'm looking at.

NOTABLE SIGNINGS

Jurrjens (amateur draft)
Shelton (Rule 5)
Rondell White (2 years 6 mil)
Pudge (5 years 49 mil)
Urbina (1 year 4 mil)
Verlander (5 years 4 mil)
Percival (2 years 12 mil)
Maggs (5 years 75 mil)
Polonco (Extension- 4 years 18 mil)
Ryan Ludwick (minor league deal)
Kenny Rogers (2 years 16 mil)
Sheffield (Extension- 2 years 28 mil)
Bondo (Extension- 4 years 38 mil)
Rodney (extension 2 years 2.7)
Guillen (extension- 4 years 48 mil)
Inge (Extension-4 years 24 mil)
Willis (Extension- 3 years 29 mil)
Nate Robertson (Extension- 3 years 21 mil)
grandy (Extension- 5 years 30 mil)
Cabby (Extension- 8 years 152 mil)

suh said:

Wasn't exactly thrilled with Huff's or for that matter Renteria's performances either, after both were traded for by DD as Tigers, both of whom quite ironically enough not only later were members and teammates of the Giants that won last year's WS...but also played/performed important roles in their season/postseason, Edgar also becoming WS MVP...baseball oft-times can often be soo surreal, mystifying, and surprising, which is partly why I am fascinated by it and its long history.

It is also too bad that DD made two HUGE and very expensive errors soon after acquiring Cabrera and Willis (in the eventual lopsidedly favored for the Tigers) trade with the Marlins, who received in return a half-dozen players that contained two blue-chip prospects who had studly star, if not All-Star potential, neither of whom ever panned out for Florida, and were eventually traded.

"D-Train" (Dontrelle Willis) and "Gumtime" (Nate Robertson) were both given very generous two-year extensions to their remaining one-year contracts, and while Nate had at least already shown that he could pitch "adequately" as a lefty SP, albeit as a #4-5 in their roto, Willis, however, had yet to toss a single pitch as a Tiger. Had DD held off on extending both of them until say, midway through the following season, perhaps one or both would not have received those extensions, since they both soon afterwards proved beyond any doubt that they weren't deserving of them...oh, well...Both had a LOT to do with why the "1000 run" WS contending-hyped Tigers team wound up being the ALCD's cellar-dwellers, after the '08 season ended.

Back