Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Denard in the offense...

bamf16

He's just not that accurate this year. I can't believe no one else has started a thread to discuss this! hehe

Anyways, I think the truth we need to accept is that Denard has a skillset that requires him to be used in ways that make many of us uncomfortable. At least today we saw the offense seem to settle on an identity, that we are for at least the time being a spread offense, not a west coast offense. Denard has a very specialized skillset, and I think the time has come to fully use it instead of trying like hell to add to it. Denard was accurate last year when he was making the throws most often made in a zone read spread system, including the hated "bubble screen." This year he's inaccurate making west coast offense throws which he does not do well.

-Denard will carry the ball at least 20 times a game because nothing in the passing game will come on its own and we have no running backs yet to rely on. At least if he gets hurt and comes out for a series I won't feel like the game is over.

-For whatever reason Borges has shown no willingness to be patient and see if a RB can get into a rhythm if he hasn't done so within the first 3 carries of the game. At least we have a defense that doesn't require the offense to feel pressured to score on every possession, but Jesus Christ, give a RB a chance to get in a rhythm with his offensive line to save Denard just a little bit! How many times has a guy started with 7 carries for 9 yards and then ended with something like 26 for 145? PATIENCE!

-Denard made good throws down the middle last year, but even in his best passing games against ND and Illinois, success came after he picked apart the outside of the defense with horizontal throws and runs to the outside to stretch out the defense and open the middle up. If the middle of the field is clogged with defenders, he can't throw down the middle of the field. I'd rather him run 35 times for 140 yards with nothing longer than a 5 yard gain than see him struggle to throw down the middle when an OC has done NOTHING to spread out the defense horizontally. How many buttonhooks and shallow outs did Denard hit with Odoms last year at ND before doing anything of substance down the middle of the field?!

-Why the hell has the fake Denard run up the middle pass down the seam (first play of the game last year against Illinois and our first TD against ND in S. Bend) not been a staple of the offense?! It's gone to Dileo twice this season and that's about it.

-The best passing play this year has been the 12-15 yard out to Kelvin Grady mostly, either off PA or on a half rollout. Where was that play call today? Why wasn't it used?! Shit, I'd rather tell Denard to chuck it up for grabs when he sees man coverage and no safety over the top like he did against ND than see him throwing down the middle when the defense is in tight man or a 4 across zone.

-I'm not very impressed with Al Borges. Call a play asking Denard to do something he doesn't do well and that you haven't set up. Call a play asking Denard to do something he doesn't do well and that you haven't set up. Let Denard run to keep the drive alive and bail you out. Call a play asking Denard to do something he doesn't do well and that you haven't set up. Let Denard run to keep the drive alive and bail you out. Repeat.

I think they got up early and decided to work on some things. Its obvious that they still need to work on those things. I'm not going to judge Borges on the O when Michigan is winning by 2 or 3 td's. Let's see what he does when the O is in a close game. I think they'll do what is needed in that situation.

At least you made logical points and aren't just whining for the sake of whining. And your first paragraph is spot on. People need to accept that he's a run first guy, and always will be.

i just don't buy that devin gardner isn't better throwing the ball than denard. that's my only problem. i don't get the "but denard runs for 200 yards per game" garbage. if he could pass the ball, our RBs would be much better (because the defense would have to respect a pass) and we wouldn't need 200 yards from our QB. But, i'm sure somebody is going to be angry at this post. I'm a Michigan fan and I've been one since I was a little kid in the late 80's and early 90's, but I can't hold my tongue when a QB can't play the QB position.

I also don't buy into Denard is better than Devin because he has more experience. Correct me if I'm wrong but Devin Gardner was a highly rated QUARTERBACK out of highschool and Denard was an ATHLETE that nobody (outside of dickrod) knew if he could play QB at the college level.

That's all I have to say on the subject. I won't be arguing this point anymore because people are so excited when Denard runs that they can't see that he's the reason our offense struggles. I'm done now. :)

oh...and we're 4-0. that's all that matters. Hopefully the offense finds itself soon because sparty's defense isn't going to be so forgiving.

silverbullet97 said:
I feel like I should start a how many games does Rich Rod need to.... thread.

I love brady hoke. I love that we're going back to michigan football. No complaints there.

Maybe the coaches are playing Denard because he's the best QB on the team...just maybe.

If Devin was truly so much better than Drob then he would be playing like Bob said and when Drob is getting us wins then I am fine with it I mean we all know that this offense will not work against most of the defenses in the Big Ten with Drob running the ball so much as we saw ever year under RR. If Drob can progress in the passing game more then I think we will be a whole lot better off in the Big Ten schedule once we hit MSU. Only time will tell how good we can do in the Big Ten this year

Seriously....the question isn't "Should Devin be the QB?" The question is, "What can make Denard a better QB?"

dipchit02 said:
If Devin was truly so much better than Drob then he would be playing like Bob said and when Drob is getting us wins then I am fine with it I mean we all know that this offense will not work against most of the defenses in the Big Ten with Drob running the ball so much as we saw ever year under RR. If Drob can progress in the passing game more then I think we will be a whole lot better off in the Big Ten schedule once we hit MSU. Only time will tell how good we can do in the Big Ten this year

You should specify which defenses you are talking about in the big10. I think this O will work fine against Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois. That's half the schedule. Now if they can get something to work on the other 4 teams, Michigan'll be fine.

You can't bench the most explosive player in college football. I agree he needs to figure out how to throw better but to listen to some of you you act like we have been losing. And I agree if Devin was better he would be starting but he isnt and this is what we have.

wheels002 said:
You can't bench the most explosive player in college football. I agree he needs to figure out how to throw better but to listen to some of you you act like we have been losing. And I agree if Devin was better he would be starting but he isnt and this is what we have.

chris rainey is up there with denard in explosiveness

lol @ anyone that thinks Hoke had a choice of who was starting QB. He would have been crucified if Denard wasn't the starter.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]lol @ anyone that thinks Hoke had a choice of who was starting QB. He would have been crucified if Denard wasn't the starter.

So you don't trust that Hoke made the decision to start Denard b/c he gives UM the best chance at winning?

lol @ you, my friend.

bamf16 said:
[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]lol @ anyone that thinks Hoke had a choice of who was starting QB. He would have been crucified if Denard wasn't the starter.

So you don't trust that Hoke made the decision to start Denard b/c he gives UM the best chance at winning?

lol @ you, my friend.

lol no. he definitely had a choice. but could you imagine what would have happened if Denard wasn't the starter? Before spring practice even started, denard was a heisman candidate. I mean, shit, look at what happens anytime someone even hints that Denard has a flaw. People throw a fit and say things like Devin would be the starter if he was better.

You honestly think that's true? Devin (by most scouts ) is a pro style offense QB with mobility. I could be misremembering here, but i think that was the case. He was also highly recruited as a QB. Denard was an athlete and dickrod was the only coach i know of that wanted him as a QB.

from Devin's scout profile:

Athletic quarterback with inate ability to feel pressure and elude defenders. Has good change of direction and is very elusive. Has a nice arm and can make all the throws. Needs work mechanically, but shows good touch on his passes, particularly the deep ball. Is a very smart and poised player who is cool under pressure and in the clutch. Shows good command of the offense and understanding of the game.

plain and simple, when we can't run the ball and denard's getting 5 yard carries instead of 15 and 20 yarders....we're going to be screwed because we won't be able to throw the ball. Denard's thrown 6 INTs already against the likes of ND, EMU, WMU, and SDSU. Can't wait for Big 10 play. Good thing the B1G is weak this year.

4-0. I'm happy. Just scares the shit out of me that we have no passing game. the only successful passes are the fake QB draws.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
i think the fear of denard transferring might play a part.

i think the fear of getting torn to shreds by the media (national and local) also have something to do with it. It would have been a huge distraction and like you said, the question about denard transferring would kill this team's chances at winning anything.

Back