Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Lions Draft picks

After trading up in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft on Thursday, the Detroit Lions traded up again, this time on Saturday in the fourth round, and selected offensive tackle Giovanni Manufrom the University of British Columbia with pick 126. The Lions traded with the New York Jets to acquire the pick and gave up a 2025 third-round pick to move up.

The biggest takeaway when discussing Manu is that he is a project. Now that the Lions are a playoff team, a favorite to win the NFC North, and a legitimate Super Bowl threat, they don’t need their Day 3 picks to be instant starters or someone who will see the field a lot in their rookie season.

Manu is not going to be asked to start in 2024 obviously, but he could see some play on special teams to get that experience and develop more overall as a player. Manu is huge as he is 6-foot-8 and weighs 350 pounds, but don’t let the size fool you. Manu ran a 5.06 40-yard dash, giving him a great chance to be the Lions’ next swing tackle. With his speed, he can lead the charge on an outside toss play or a screen pass. He doesn’t just have experience at tackle either, as he has played at guard. While that transition is unlikely at the NFL, the Lions like their lineman to have versatility.

The Detroit Lions closed out their 2024 NFL Draft by grabbing another player that was expected to go much earlier in the draft, selecting Boston College offensive guard Christian Mahogany with pick No. 210 in the sixth round.

Mahogany saw a surprising fall on draft day. Entering the draft, noted offensive line expert Brandon Thorne ranked Mahogany as his tenth-highest interior offensive lineman, assigning him a third-round value to his draft profile. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler placed Mahogany as IOL9 and ranking him No. 99 overall on his draft board. In fact, of the draft experts rankings I track, no analyst had him lower than prospect No. 126 overall. Therefore, for the Lions to grab Mahogany nearly 100 picks later than expected, points to the Lions potentially getting incredible value in their selection.

Skill set

Here are a few summaries of Mahogany’s skill set, which speak to why Thorne and Brugler had him ranked where they did:

Thorne’s player profile: “Overall, Mahogany is a big, powerful, tone-setting presence at guard who can impose his will in a downhill, vertical based run game centered around RPOs and play action. However, he will need to learn to add patience and polish to his footwork to become more of a steady presence rather than a pure bouncer.”

Mahogany needs to play with more control, especially in space, to survive versus NFL defenders, but he plays like a bouncer outside of a club, looking to bash heads with power and forceful hands. He projects as a guard-versatile NFL starter, ideally suited for a downhill run team.”

Roster fit

When Lions general manager Brad Holmes was asked to describe what he liked about Mahogany, he quickly noted that he had some “dirtbag in him”, a sign of affection for a prospect who grew up in New Jersey, but also an important characteristic that you want in your offensive linemen.

The Lions have one of, if not the best, offensive lines in the NFL, and they work together stylistically and efficiently. Their preference typically lends itself to using more technically sound players on the left side of their offensive line while leaning on bullies on the right side.

With starting right guard Kevin Zeitler recently turning 34 years old, the Lions could be looking for a dirtbag that they can develop at right guard. Mahogany does have starting experience starting at left (785 snaps) and right guard (1532 snaps), he looks much more comfortable on the right side and definitely fits the Lions’ mentality. That being said, while the right side seems like his best position, the Lions will certainly cross-train him at multiple positions.

I was fine with the trade ups. I think we overspent a little bit but not egregiously.

I love the two CBs. Arnold and Rakestraw should be our starters next year and beyond.

Manu is a project that could work out. He has the physical tools but can he play the position in the NFL. He has time to learn.

Vaki is a Swiss army knife. I think he will be a special teams contributor. With the changes on kickoffs, you need really good special teamers.

Wingo is a depth piece. He is undersized. Hopefully he can contribute as a rotational guy.

Mahogany is a great pick. Hopefully a starting guard of the future. Glasgow, Zeitler and Ragnow are all on the back half of their career. He's got a great group to watch and learn.

I really can’t speak on the late rounders, but I think Detroit had a great draft. I didn’t watch every game last year, but I watched most of them. You guys needed corners, and that was before the crap with Sutton. And if we’re being honest, Sutton was a disappointment anyway.

I was fine with the trade ups. I think we overspent a little bit but not egregiously.

I love the two CBs. Arnold and Rakestraw should be our starters next year and beyond.

Manu is a project that could work out. He has the physical tools but can he play the position in the NFL. He has time to learn.

Vaki is a Swiss army knife. I think he will be a special teams contributor. With the changes on kickoffs, you need really good special teamers.

Wingo is a depth piece. He is undersized. Hopefully he can contribute as a rotational guy.

Mahogany is a great pick. Hopefully a starting guard of the future. Glasgow, Zeitler and Ragnow are all on the back half of their career. He's got a great group to watch and learn.
This is spot on with my thinking. I'm not sure both rookie CBs start day 1 but they are absolutely the future as long as they don't go full Okudah.

Back