Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

do not like our lack of decent passing game

michlady77

yes denard is exciting but we kknow what happened last year as we got into big ten play

and emu was rushing pretty well in first part of game against us

still a lot of work to do

michlady77 said:
yes denard is exciting but we kknow what happened last year as we got into big ten play

denard has decent accuracy when he doesn't put air under the ball. But when he tries to go deep or put touch on a pass, it is up to the receiver to make a great play. He needs to stick with quick short passes.

I hate to say it, but they're going to have to bring in D Gardner at some point this season to try and get that vertical passing game going. When we get into conference play those good D's are going to FORCE us to pass.....(and those little dinks and dunks passes won't get it done either).

not-this-again.jpg

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
not-this-again.jpg

Did you see our offense against big 10 teams last year, specifically the ranked ones? It was average at best and we got our asses kicked. Mississippi state? Did you see that game? Without a pass offense, we're the same god damned team we were last year. I love this team and would never give up on them, but we need to have a passing offense to go along with the run game to succeed. Maybe Denard can get the job done, maybe not, but we need a passing offense and right now it doesn't look like he can do the job.

I did indeed.. Fact of the matter is if we were to replace Denard with an unproven QB we lose about a 150 rushing.. You take the good with the bad. He might throw 2 picks in a game but he also may take one 90 for 6. Give Denard some screen passes and quick outs. Take a couple plays out of RR's book IE: draw playaction up the seam. There are ways he can succeed.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]I did indeed.. Fact of the matter is if we were to replace Denard with an unproven QB we lose about a 150 rushing.. You take the good with the bad. He might throw 2 picks in a game but he also may take one 90 for 6. Give Denard some screen passes and quick outs. Take a couple plays out of RR's book IE: draw playaction up the seam. There are ways he can succeed.

exactly what i've been saying. but he's not doing that. 7 out of 18 passing against EMU. Not good. Any time he puts touch on the ball or just a little air under the pass, it's off.

I can't wait until we get that Pocket passer so i can shut up about running QBs and we get back to michigan football.

michlady77 said:

I agree ML. It seemed like our offense made the EMU defense look great. I'm having visions of the last two years as the B1G schedule approaches. Denard had 21 yards passing in the first half against Eastern. That is pathetic. As much as that kills me to say, it's the truth. Maybe there was a hangover from the ND game m

You can't expect him to be Chad Henne over night. He'll learn what to throw and what not to. A lot of QBs have made this transition. Think about how raw Troy Smith was and then his SR season.. Tyrod Taylor played well in a pro style his last two seasons. Even Pat White threw the ball better as a SR once RR left. Denard will be fine.. He just needs to learn on his feet.

I don't like it either

That being said, they aren't going to put Devin in there. They just aren't. Fans can keep begging for it and begging for it, but the coaches know who the best QB is.

They are going to do what they're going to do. I'm going to sit back and watch. If they do good and win, I'll be happy. If they do bad and lose, I'll be sad.

The coaches keep saying that the team has a lot of work to do. I believe them.

Ercole747 said:
I hate to say it, but they're going to have to bring in D Gardner at some point this season to try and get that vertical passing game going. When we get into conference play those good D's are going to FORCE us to pass.....(and those little dinks and dunks passes won't get it done either).

how do you know Devin is going to be better? You don't.

Hungry said:
I don't like it either

That being said, they aren't going to put Devin in there. They just aren't. Fans can keep begging for it and begging for it, but the coaches know who the best QB is.

They are going to do what they're going to do. I'm going to sit back and watch. If they do good and win, I'll be happy. If they do bad and lose, I'll be sad.

+1

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
Hungry said:
I don't like it either

+1

also agree - they are still working with devin on stuff - good days and bad days

It's funny to see the difference between Hoke and RR. Denard throws a pick the backup comes in for a bit cold and struggles throws Denard back in cold.. It's nice having decent coaches.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]It's funny to see the difference between Hoke and RR. Denard throws a pick the backup comes in for a bit cold and struggles throws Denard back in cold.. It's nice having decent coaches.

Yes, indeed.

I'm not happy about our inconsistent performances, but the lack of bush-league coaching freakouts is reassuring. It will make a difference in the W-L column; last year scoring deficits were almost always bad news. This year, they don't worry me as much.

Hungry said:
I don't like it either

Yes!! Look.. its a new coach, system and a better* Defense. run or pass I'll take the yards however they come. Relax. It will be fine. Drob was off today it doesn't mean he will be every game...the silver lining is he can make up for it with his genius feet. And yes, if they lose, they lose, but it's a better product this year. My God, with last year's D EMU makes it close

Barnum got blown up on the play Denard threw the pick. His step into the throw was shortened, and Denard hasn't yet developed the ability to compensate for that.

Twice during the game I posted in the chat that the ball needed to be caught. VSmith had a drop, as did Roundtree. That puts Denard at 9-18 today if those two balls are caught. Not great, but it gets over that magical 50% mark.

I thought his decision to throw the jump ball to Roundtree in double coverage was horrid; it was just as bad a decision as two of his picks from the ND game. He also had a wide open TE in the endzone he overthrew and was high to two passes to Koger. I'd be more concerned if the opportunities weren't there. The fact that we do have guys open is at least a reason for optimism. I think today was more Denard not playing well than it was an indication that Denard is deficient so much in his skillset that we need to put in a guy with 11 career passes or something like that.

I'm wondering how much longer we'll go before there's any sort of identity from the offense. We seemed to give Fitz a carry from Denard under center, then we go spread and Denard runs twice, then Denard throws from the gun, then Denard runs again, and then we come back to the IFormation for another carry for the RB. There just seems to be no rhythm on offense; there's no identity on offense. When we seemed to go shortgun with the spread element, we set up plays well and were fooling the EMU defense. When we went more prostyle, we'd run one running play, gain a yard or two, and then go back to the spread for 4 or 5. I posted in the chatroom during the game that with a two possession lead in the second half at home against EMU, I'd like to see Broges actually get MORE stubborn with the offensive playcalling, and run IForm until our big uglies up front did it right. Today could/should have been a day to work on some things and to iron out some things. It most certainly wasn't.

Yep, they're going to lose some games. I don't understand why fans freak out when everything isn't perfect.

Hungry said:
Yep, they're going to lose some games. I don't understand why fans freak out when everything isn't perfect.

Because 3 years of mismanaging a program can be fixed over night?

Back