Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

do not like our lack of decent passing game

They also mentioned several times that Denard did not throw in practice too much this week due to a sore shoulder. That may have been a factor as well.

never freaked out - just saying more work to be done

just concerned that denard cannot ultimately carry it all

michlady77 said:
never freaked out - just saying more work to be done

just concerned that denard cannot ultimately carry it all

You didn't freak out.. We all know Denard can't carry the load especially against good defenses but he's are best option to win every week. We all knew this year was going to be a learning experience. We just have to take the good with the bad and watch Denard improve from now until the end of the year.

I'd like to see a few plays with Shoelace AND Gardner in the backfield at the same time.
Nice option or screen or RB direct-snap potential.

might want to get gardiner some snaps. he's going to be called upon eventually since shoelace is a bit injury prone.

he's a hell of a talent, but he's not a qb. he's an nfl wr who the coaches keep at qb to avoid him bolting from the program.

No, he's never going to have a great deep ball. He needs to be able to hit those medium-range balls from time to time. And no, you don't have to have an elite passer to beat teams in the B10. Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa, Illinois, none of those teams have Ds that put the fear of god into me. Tommy Rees was average at best today, and they handled MSU. Denard is your qb, he's going to make mistakes, and he's going to make amazing plays. Just enjoy the ride.

Mitch Albom: Too much Denard Robinson is a blessing and a curse for Michigan

He can drive you crazy, but it

I truly wish I had more confidence in Denard's ability to pass the ball. When he drops back and let's it go, I hold my breath. I'm not looking forward to the B1G schedule at this point.

This year, Denard is completing 49.1% of his passes, and he's been asked to throw a lot of deep balls downfield to stretch out the defense. These aren't his forte, but they're acceptable if it's necessary to open up a running game for running backs. But we're not seeing that. If Denard is chucking the ball deep downfield but incomplete, and it helps the running game, we can stomach it easier. But a deep ball on 1st down that brings up 2nd and 10 keys everyone onto what's coming, which is Denard running the ball.

Last season Denard completed 62.5% of his passes, but we had to read complaints about too many bubble screens and all that. If you go back through the decade, John Navarre threw a horrid deep ball, but had guys like Edwards and Joppru on the intermediate routes, and he threw them very well. Henne threw a beautiful deep ball but had little touch on the intermediate routes and down the seams, and we remember games like Manningham's at MSU and ND. Tate had good touch as well on the deep balls, but lacked the height and arm strength on the more pro type routes over the middle. Denard can sling it. He throws the ball hard. He's thrown some nice out routes to guys like Gallon and Grady in these couple games, and I'm impressed with his improvement in those throws. His best throws still are the 7-14 yard out route, and the deep ball down the seam off the zone read (Dileo's TD yesterday). I think you keep those pro style routes in the gameplan since they are such an essential part of the system. I think you continue to run them during the game on occassion, because someday you're going to have WRs running them with a QB more able to throw them. But you don't run them on 2nd and 12 when the odds of success are smaller than we'd like. Maybe 3rd and 3 from inside the 40s, since a pick isn't as devastating, and an incomplete pass brings up a situation where 4th down could be converted. And the receivers are good enough to make a play if the throw isn't what it needs to be. They've demonstrated an ability to do that.

Hungry said:
The coaches keep saying that the team has a lot of work to do. I believe them.

If we win every game during Hoke's tenure, I think he will continue to say that. That's just they way he is, and I am OK with that. Always striving to be better. NEVER SATISFIED

Back