Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do Tigers take a run at Justin Verlander after surgery?

wlvrnstlr4life

Do the Tigers take a chance on him and sign him at the end of 2021? This surgery has been very successful and even though he is 37, this surgery can extend his career another 3-4 maybe 5 years. He may not be his old self when he returns, but a Justin Verlander at 75% is better than anything else this team has now. I'm just figuring, he might come cheap and it’s not like he didn't want to finish his career in Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might depend upon how many of their current pitching prospects are ready for the bigs, and who among their present SP roto are still around by then.

I hope not. I just have a problem with his stance on cheating as a Tiger and then his cheating as an Astro. With that being said I don't think the Tigers want to spend that kind of money. He might not get 30 mill but he'll be asking a lot.

I hope not. I just have a problem with his stance on cheating as a Tiger and then his cheating as an Astro. With that being said I don't think the Tigers want to spend that kind of money. He might not get 30 mill but he'll be asking a lot.

He wasn't the one cheating, unless he was throwing the good ole Vaseline ball. And he certainly isn't going to throw his own teammates under the bus. Not giving excuses for what Houston or Boston did, just giving Verlander's impossible position in all this. I dont think you can implicate any pitchers in this unless they were in the outfield texting signs back to the dugout.

He wasn't the one cheating, unless he was throwing the good ole Vaseline ball. And he certainly isn't going to throw his own teammates under the bus. Not giving excuses for what Houston or Boston did, just giving Verlander's impossible position in all this. I dont think you can implicate any pitchers in this unless they were in the outfield texting signs back to the dugout.

I don?t know anything about Verlander cheating in Detroit.

Has Verlander ever commented on the Houston scandal? Not only do I agree that the pitchers might have been reasonably in the dark, but also Verlander got there late in the season so he could?ve possibly been even more in the dark than the other pitchers.

It seems to me that the cheating cheaters likely would have wanted to keep it on the down low from anyone on the team who didn?t have a ?need to know? interest.

I guess I could be being na?ve.

I did not realize how late in the season he got there. His 1st game with Houston was in September. Yeah, probably didn't know a whole lot and wasn't in the circle of trust. And I highly doubt, being a pitcher, you probably want anything to do with it.

He never cheated in Detroit but had a hard stance against it. In Houston they all cheated, he benefited from the signs. He even apologized for it. He knew what he did. He could have said something but didn't.

He never cheated in Detroit but had a hard stance against it. In Houston they all cheated, he benefited from the signs. He even apologized for it. He knew what he did. He could have said something but didn't.

What did he specifically do? And what in the heck would he say about it during a World Series run? He only apologized because he was a part of the team. He wasn't responsible, the coaches were.

What did he specifically do? And what in the heck would he say about it during a World Series run? He only apologized because he was a part of the team. He wasn't responsible, the coaches were.
It wasn't just that season but his Cy Young season afterwards. Google it. Pitchers and hitters benefited. Coaches knew.

Do you have a clip of his apology?

Sometimes when people benefit from something that they were unaware of at the time it was happening, people apologize for that. Happens frequently.

Do you have a clip of his apology?

Sometimes when people benefit from something that they were unaware of at the time it was happening, people apologize for that. Happens frequently.
At the top of my head, no. But how could they not know. What would they gain by just having only the coaches know. They had to give it to someone. And it wasn't the usual - guy on 2B sees what the C's sign is. Very elaborate.

Verlander is out for the entire 2021 season, He will be 38 in February 2021,
When Pitchers and catchers report for 2022 he will be 39,
He said he wants to pitch until he is 45 kind of like Nolan Ryan, but will he still have the 99 to 100 MPH Heater? Probably not,

This f'n team I doubt will bring him back at that age, If you're a fan of Verlander's than sure,

but again this teams shit for brains trust will still be in the dark about analytics, drafting position players in rounds 2 through 10, or whatever amount of rounds in the next years draft has, who have the baseball smarts not to swing at pitches in the opposite batters box, and who can field a position and run with good or better speed.

Do the Tigers take a chance on him and sign him at the end of 2021? This surgery has been very successful and even though he is 37, this surgery can extend his career another 3-4 maybe 5 years. He may not be his old self when he returns, but a Justin Verlander at 75% is better than anything else this team has now. I'm just figuring, he might come cheap and its not like he didn't want to finish his career in Detroit.

If he were really cheap I would probably give him a shot.

Verlander is out for the entire 2021 season, He will be 38 in February 2021,
When Pitchers and catchers report for 2022 he will be 39,
He said he wants to pitch until he is 45 kind of like Nolan Ryan, but will he still have the 99 to 100 MPH Heater? Probably not,

This f'n team I doubt will bring him back at that age, If you're a fan of Verlander's than sure,

but again this teams shit for brains trust will still be in the dark about analytics, drafting position players in rounds 2 through 10, or whatever amount of rounds in the next years draft has, who have the baseball smarts not to swing at pitches in the opposite batters box, and who can field a position and run with good or better speed.

If he can come back with a 92-95 heater and have Maddux command/placement, he should be fine. Plenty of really good pitchers have had to change their overpowering style for something more subtle with the same effectiveness. Kurt Schilling and Randy Johnson come to mind.

This is a LOOOOOOOOONG shot.....but maybe come back as a closer. Certainly has the mentality for it. I would love to see him closing out games.

Back