Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Does Anybody Care at All?

tinselwolverine

As little as I care about this year’s CFP, the media coverage is pretty ubiquitous and it’s hard to completely avoid.

I was out in my car doing business yesterday, and as worthless as listening to the Alabama Notre Dame game was, it was the least worthless thing on the radio at the time.

The talking heads are gabbing about how Brian Kelly continues to get his Notre Dame into the CFP and get clobbered, because they ultimately have to play Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State, who pretty much always clobber everyone in front of them, including unfortunately for us on this board, Michigan.

In a parallel universe where it was Notre Dame playing Ohio State at the end of every recent season instead of Michigan, it would probably be Michigan getting into the CFP and being clobbered by Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State.

This is one of the main reasons I’m still pretty supportive of Harbaugh – looking at the way Michigan has crushed Notre Dame recently, it could be argued that Michigan is the best of or at least as good as everyone who isn’t Alabama Clemson or Ohio State - the teams that have to play Alabama or Clemson at the end of every season also generally don’t get into the CFP.

The whole Dabo Swinney soap opera is also kind of amusing. Right when I realize the Clemson Ohio State game would be ending yesterday, I decided “what the hell” and caught the end of it.
I never paid much attention but today I’m realizing just how disliked Dabo Swinney is by a lot of the talking heads.

Never paid much attention to him before but he does seem to be kind of a dumb ass. He said he ranked Ohio State #11 became he didn’t think a team with less than nine games should be ranked in the top 10. With that logic, why should a team with less than nine games played be ranked at all? I get setting the bar, and hatred for OSU notwithstanding, if the B1G failed to get an entrant into the CFP because of its colossal scheduling screw up I would say the conference kind of deserved it, but Dabo was a dumbshit to shit talk a team his team was about to play.

Last edited:
Until the FBS has a real playoff, 16 or 24 teams, I will continue to not care at all. Every other version of football on earth has a real playoff. This is the worst postseason in all of sports.

I don't care if a larger playoff affects the Dow Chemical Silicone Titty Bowl.

Absurd bowls trying to push tourism and marketing built this thing. I know it's not the best way to figure out who the number one team is, but I'm not sold on the idea that it's better now than it was.

16 or 24 team playoff won't matter.

The dirty 3 will continue to dominate the landscape. Then every now and then a team decides to get down and dirty with them and wins it like LSU did last year. Then they just admit they cheated and bowl ban themselves for the following season.

Absurd bowls trying to push tourism and marketing built this thing. I know it's not the best way to figure out who the number one team is, but I'm not sold on the idea that it's better now than it was.

Pre-BCS was better than this crap. WHen they waited until after every single bowl game was played, then pick the national champion was much better. We would go into New Year's and have to pay attention to several games to see who might win it. Now we just know that Clemson, OSU, or Alabama will win, unless someone else decides to get dirty.

16 or 24 team playoff won't matter.

The dirty 3 will continue to dominate the landscape. Then every now and then a team decides to get down and dirty with them and wins it like LSU did last year. Then they just admit they cheated and bowl ban themselves for the following season.

It would at least create a system that has the NCAA recognize a national champion at the highest level of college football. The fact that they don't sums up how stupid the FBS bowl system is.

Maybe we could get a panel of former players and celebrities to vote on the national champion after all the bowls are over! Turn it into a show on NBC. It can be the next craze like The Masked Singer. Because why do anything that makes a lick of sense?

Maybe we could get a panel of former players and celebrities to vote on the national champion after all the bowls are over! Turn it into a show on NBC. It can be the next craze like The Masked Singer. Because why do anything that makes a lick of sense?

That?s how it used to be - two panels, the coaches and the writers.

It wasn?t on TV but it could be.

There could two different TV shows.

Four out five times, thereabout, the NC would be the same, but every now and then, it would be different.

We would call that a ?split NC.?

Pre-BCS was better than this crap. WHen they waited until after every single bowl game was played, then pick the national champion was much better. We would go into New Year's and have to pay attention to several games to see who might win it. Now we just know that Clemson, OSU, or Alabama will win, unless someone else decides to get dirty.

And they got it right the vast majority of the time, except for 1997, when M was the first team to go undefeated and drop in the coaches? rankings.

That?s how it used to be - two panels, the coaches and the writers.

It wasn?t on TV but it could be.

There could two different TV shows.

Four out five times, thereabout, the NC would be the same, but every now and then, it would be different.

We would call that a ?split NC.?

There weren't 45 bowl games back then. Having the postseason stay bowl games would make more sense if about 25-30 bowl games were eliminated.

Still nowhere near as good as a legit playoff.

Georgia Tech unseated Colorado at the top of final coaches’ poll in 1990.

It seems to me almost a quarter century later that people outside the states of Nebraska and Michigan tend to view Michigan as having won the national championship that season.

People kind of lump the ‘97 Huskers in with the really good Husker teams of that era, the back to back ‘94 and ‘95 championship teams.

Back in Bo’s last season, there was a rumor that if Michigan had won the 1990 Rose Bowl, the coaches were going to try to scoot into the M into the #1 spot in the final coaches’ poll.
I guess the coaches could be a little bit partisan back in those days.

There weren't 45 bowl games back then. Having the postseason stay bowl games would make more sense if about 25-30 bowl games were eliminated.

Still nowhere near as good as a legit playoff.

Outside of the championship deciding structure, whether it’s 2 teams, 4 teams, 16 teams or 24 teams - what difference does it make how many bowl games there are for non-championship playoff qualifying teams to participate in?

The two things have nothing to do with each other.

It’s just like the way Indiana Jones had nothing to do with recovering the Ark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUUGrSMmxI

Last edited:
Outside of the championship deciding structure, whether it?s 2 teams, 4 teams, 16 teams or 24 teams - what difference does it make how many bowl games there are for non-championship playoff qualifying teams to participate in?

The two things have nothing to do with each other.

It?s just like the way Indiana Jones had nothing to do with recovering the Ark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUUGrSMmxI

It degrades the significance of making a bowl. Teams that go .500 or one game better than that don't deserve a bowl.

It degrades the significance of making a bowl. Teams that go .500 or one game better than that don't deserve a bowl.

I don?t watch those bowls.

I don?t think I?ve watched any bowls that Michigan hasn?t been in for years.

I also don?t watch soap operas, or go to the ballet, or art museums.

The existence of any of these things is not remotely bothersome to me.

I don?t watch those bowls.

I don?t think I?ve watched any bowls that Michigan hasn?t been in for years.

I also don?t watch soap operas, or go to the ballet, or art museums.

The existence of any of these things is not remotely bothersome to me.

That's good. I just want my second favorite sport to have a legit postseason.

Georgia Tech unseated Colorado at the top of final coaches’ poll in 1990.

That was different. Both teams had gold helmets and the coaches got confused. And Colorado lost to ND.

It seems to me almost a quarter century later that people outside the states of Nebraska and Michigan tend to view Michigan as having won the national championship that season.

People kind of lump the ‘97 Huskers in with the really good Husker teams of that era, the back to back ‘94 and ‘95 championship teams.

Back in Bo’s last season, there was a rumor that if Michigan had won the 1990 Rose Bowl, the coaches were going to try to scoot into the M into the #1 spot in the final coaches’ poll.
I guess the coaches could be a little bit partisan back in those days.

Bo never had the opportunity to win a National Championship on Jan 1. Even with his undefeated 1971 team that lost to Stanford in the ‘72 RB 13-12 on Rod Garcia’s FG with :12 on the clock. An altogether odd game. Fake punts, safeties, M was also stopped in 4th and 1 on Stanford’s 4-yard line.

It was also the last game that Stanford played a game as the “Indians.”

Last edited:
I can see going to 8 games but no more than that. Get rid of the conference championship weekend and make that weekend the first round to get it down to 4. I would also make another division that would consist of the FCS conferences and let them create a playoff of their own.

College football has gotten increasingly boring. Same teams always in it. Michigan sucks under Harbaugh except a few 10 win season. So close a few times. I only watched a few snaps of the games. Looks like Osu will be able to give Alabama a game sadly. But then again I hated all 4 teams that were left.

I can see going to 8 games but no more than that. Get rid of the conference championship weekend and make that weekend the first round to get it down to 4. I would also make another division that would consist of the FCS conferences and let them create a playoff of their own.

The FCS already has a playoff and it's awesome. They don't have to play a 8 game regular season too pull it off either.

Back