Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Donovan left off US World Cup squad

Following up on the stupid tweet by Jurgen Klinsmann's son, this was tweeted by Mike Magee, the reigning MLS MVP.

HAHAHAHAHAHA DONOVAN HAHAHAHAHA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE HE BROKE THE MLS GOAL SCORING RECORD UNTIL MY PHONE NOTIFIED ME ������ HAHA #LegenD

In case you didn't see the original tweet by Klinsmann's son about Donovan not making the US World Cup team, here it is:
HHAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA

That's awesome, well done imo.

He's not fit enough nor good enough anymore to warrant automatic selection. Generally speaking, if you have a wealth of talent to pick from, you absolutely would never want to take a guy who's not completely fit or committed.

That said, the US does not have a wealth of talent to pick from. Donovan is one of the few players available to the US that could break a game open offensively.

Even if he's not fully fit, I would take him for that reason. He could be a bench option. Even if he's your 23rd guy, he's still a guy who could give you 20 minutes in an emergency and create some danger for a goal.

He's not fit enough nor good enough anymore to warrant automatic selection. Generally speaking, if you have a wealth of talent to pick from, you absolutely would never want to take a guy who's not completely fit or committed.

That said, the US does not have a wealth of talent to pick from. Donovan is one of the few players available to the US that could break a game open offensively.

Even if he's not fully fit, I would take him for that reason. He could be a bench option. Even if he's your 23rd guy, he's still a guy who could give you 20 minutes in an emergency and create some danger for a goal.

That was my thinking. He could at least provide a spark in the last 20 minutes if we needed it. And I wouldn't even be annoyed at Klinsmann about the decision if it didn't seem like it was such a personal decision. But between Klinsmann's son's tweet and several other comments, it sounds like it was more of a personal decision.

I was also confused why Clarence Goodson got cut. He's played in all our major games recently and it looks like John Brooks took his spot on the team, despite playing very poorly in his few National Team chances.

But what's done is done and I'm looking forward to watching these guys play starting tomorrow night against Azerbaijan. Curious to see what formation Klinsmann starts them in, who are the starting eleven, and if Julian Green can play well if he gets on the field.

Following up on the stupid tweet by Jurgen Klinsmann's son, this was tweeted by Mike Magee, the reigning MLS MVP.

HAHAHAHAHAHA DONOVAN HAHAHAHAHA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE HE BROKE THE MLS GOAL SCORING RECORD UNTIL MY PHONE NOTIFIED ME ������ HAHA #LegenD

In case you didn't see the original tweet by Klinsmann's son about Donovan not making the US World Cup team, here it is:
HHAHAHAHAHAHAH DONAVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL PHONE NOTIFIED ME HAHA

aside from losing Donovan on the field, I think that's the worst consequence of Klinsmann's decision: it could hurt him in the locker room. After reading Tim Howard's comments, it seems that Donovan was pretty well liked or at least respected by some of the USMNT. if things go okay on the field, it may not matter, but if they don't the recriminations and allegations are going to get caustic for Klinsmann. The press is going to attack him relentlessly for it.

Back