Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Trade Idea

Okay theory time, Slick shows up, LKP disappears..therefore Slick is LKP?

C'mon, is it possible?

OMG. Genius. And I for one hope we trade down if we are to trade at all. How many times have the Patriots traded up? Well probably a lot because they always have so many picks, but I can see a lot of trade ups that did not work out very well, RG3 trade is the one most recent trade up that I see isn't looking to good at this point....

Last edited:
I am really struggling with the idea of moving up. This draft overall doesn't excite me other than a few guys. I think Wr is a position of need so the thought of adding Watkins is great. He is definitely an elite prospect. Also I just don't see the pieces we need. HHCD would be a nice pick at 10 because I think he will end up being a good player but I also don't think he is a top 10 pick in most drafts, same with Pryor. No lb fits our defense well a lot of 3-4 rush olbs not a lot of 4-3 olbs. I guess a guy like mack would be a nice piece but see him as more of a blitzer and less of a coverage guy, plus his range just might not be there.(a move up would be required) Barr doesn't fit here at all there is just no point considering it. Lewan is interesting but Tackle is just not needed. We have good players there and they are cheap. Can't justify a TE now. No cb worth grabbing plus we have pieces there that are already payed so it would be a waste in the immediate future. I hate giving up picks when we have holes but they just aren't holes we can fill in this draft so screw it just go up and get him and hope we can win some damn games.

that's part of the reason im not ok with trading up. I REALLY like rds 2 - 4 this year. And seeing most of those picks go bye bye would suck. Not to mention the draft is super deep at WR and we went and overspent on Tate. Moncrief Tate CJ I can get excited about just as easily as Watkins tate CJ. Trading up pretty much means were rolling with basically the same defensive unit we have now and little to no depth. Therefor as soon as a couple minor scrapes and bruises pop up we have to listen to LKP say that's the reason we lost. That being said I can easily see why he wants to move up....I just don't agree with it. If you don't like who might be there at 10 that's not a good reason to piss away the rest of your draft. Gives you a perfect reason to start building young cheap depth....which is EXACTLY what this team needs.

C'mon, is it possible?

No way slick would be THAT much of a homer....pretty sure hed punch himself in the face after he read how he wrote that were more talented than the seahawks.

C'mon, is it possible?

The main reason I disagree is Slick doesn't live in a Fairytaleland where turnovers are nothing more than "bad luck" and there is just simply no way they can happen again...and again, and again, and....

;)

since ur realistic.....if you sit at 10 youre realistically getting lewan or gilbert. Neither one is a major position of need considering we already have starters at those positions. Granted both would be seen as upgrades....you are then either benching Houston who you are paying a decent chunk too...or youre benching slay and ruining his development. In lewan your benching Waddle which doesn't give you a good chance to see what you have in him in this new offense. a 3rd realistic pick would be HHCD which means youre either sitting a #10 pick, sitting quin, or sitting your prized defensive FA signing Ihedigbo (yes I was saying prized sarcastically).

Now, ill agree I don't like moving up if its going to cost us half our draft. But if mayhew can pull off something reasonable and get clowney or Watkins....its probably better than sitting at 10.

are you insane we have one of the worse CB corps in football and you don't think CB is a position of need???

that's part of the reason im not ok with trading up. I REALLY like rds 2 - 4 this year. And seeing most of those picks go bye bye would suck

I keep hearing how deep this years draft is, would it be worth it to trade a 3rd next year for a 4th this year?

are you insane we have one of the worse CB corps in football and you don't think CB is a position of need???

There aren't any CBs that we could draft that would start this year. I don't think that Gilbert is as good as advertised and was kind of blown up based on athleticism but it really didn't translate to the position in college. Dennard plays the position well but I don't see enough upside and really Slay is probably the better player. CB is a weak position in this draft and we have some young depth players who have the ability to play. Bentley showed flashes as did Greenwood and Greene. They aren't all world and are still learning but in the second and third rounds you would be picking guys worse than who we already have. There are 2 safeties worth taking a chance on in the middle of the first but the only postion of depth on the defensive side of the ball in this draft is DT and 3-4 olbs and ends. Just not a good defensive draft.

There aren't any CBs that we could draft that would start this year. I don't think that Gilbert is as good as advertised and was kind of blown up based on athleticism but it really didn't translate to the position in college. Dennard plays the position well but I don't see enough upside and really Slay is probably the better player. CB is a weak position in this draft and we have some young depth players who have the ability to play. Bentley showed flashes as did Greenwood and Greene. They aren't all world and are still learning but in the second and third rounds you would be picking guys worse than who we already have. There are 2 safeties worth taking a chance on in the middle of the first but the only postion of depth on the defensive side of the ball in this draft is DT and 3-4 olbs and ends. Just not a good defensive draft.

i wouldn't mind an OLB and put it in my recent mock draft. but CB is important. go matthews in the 2nd, OLB in the 3rd and pick up another S with one of our extra 4ths

Draft Gilbert or Denarrd in the first, get an OLB in the 3rd. depth in the LBs can help the secondary

So piss away a first? They won't play and aren't better then what you have. We could use a lb but how the hell does depth in lb corp help the secondary.

So piss away a first? They won't play and aren't better then what you have. We could use a lb but how the hell does depth in lb corp help the secondary.

The theory that a CB TAKES 3 years to "get it" and because they won't be used right away because of that - so let's not draft one, makes no sense to me. So when do you draft one, when you need one? Yet it takes 3 years for him to "get it" and the process repeats itself.

Can't have enough CB plus I think Gilbert can be good.

The theory that a CB TAKES 3 years to "get it" and because they won't be used right away because of that - so let's not draft one, makes no sense to me. So when do you draft one, when you need one? Yet it takes 3 years for him to "get it" and the process repeats itself.

Can't have enough CB plus I think Gilbert can be good.

For me I am not saying NO because it will take 3 years. But because there just aren't any attention grabbing corners. Gilbert just doesn't play the position very well. The ability is there and he has made some good plays but he isn't a shutdown guy and more than likely never will be. Consistently he is out of position and was able to make up for it against lesser talented wrs. But overall he makes bad reads which is something that isn't easily changed at this level. Dennard has the instincts but the physical level isn't there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tti8GfSxunE

This was a pretty good video that spanned a few games for Gilbert. It's not a highlight reel so you get positives and negatives. But also while there are a few solid plays there are plenty of mediocre to bad plays that make you scratch your head and wonder how he was considered at any point a top 10 player.

to be honest i thought with the signing of Vaughn that Mathis would not be back

Back