Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft watch?

everyoneneedsasmil

Once again, the Red Wings are bad at just about everything. Can't score 5 on 5, can't slow down opponents, and taking too many penalties. Both of our goalies have been sieves. Some of this, of course, will regress to something closer to average. But short of a massive breakout from multiple kids, there's nothing that suggests the team isn't one of the worst in the league this year.

That all said, what is the outlook in next year's draft? I've heard of Jack Hughes, some saying he's the kind of super-elite prospect of a Sydney Crosby or Connor McDavid. That sounds like hyberbole, but would be pretty ideal for a year the Wings are likely to challenge for the worst record. Outside of him, though, can't say I've followed to closely so early. Is this considered a strong draft? Is it top heavy or does it have elite depth?

Really? It's a young team, who didn't see a season where they struggled? But draft watch already.. no thanks.

Really? It's a young team, who didn't see a season where they struggled? But draft watch already.. no thanks.

Understand, I still enjoy the team. In many ways I enjoy it more than the last few years of playoff appearances where I could see the team backing their way in and prolonging a necessary rebuild.

Also, the team's play this year isn't unexpected. They were bad last year, and now we have no Zetterberg. This isn't about giving up on the team or abandoning the current young guys. It's just being realistic that the player we pick in next year's draft has a really good chance of being the best player on the team (potentially even right away).

Don't worry, even if Detroit were to have worst record in league its unlikely they will get #1 pick.

Think last season odds for worst record getting #1 pick were under 20%.

Hell, even the top 3 worst teams didn't have a combined 50% chance of getting the #1 pick.

I think over the past 7-8 years the #1 team (worse record) didn't get top pick more often.

Last edited:
Back