Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Drummond to CLE

JScottWriter

Drummond just got traded to Cleveland for Brandon Knight, John Henson and a 2nd round pick. This is what happens when you don't trade him years ago.

Jesus fuck this organization is just flat out pathetic. I'd rather keep him instead of getting stiffs and a pick that will never make it past the G. League. I was really happy I heard the trade but this deal is just bad. I guess they are tanking for sure. That is something.

It certainly reveals his worth around the league.

A 2nd round pick is better than nothing.

Not just Detroit, the NBA trading makes no sense. In NFL you get meaningful draft picks, MLB you get top prospects - NBA you get expiring contracts.

Not just Detroit, the NBA trading makes no sense. In NFL you get meaningful draft picks, MLB you get top prospects - NBA you get expiring contracts.

I think it has a lot to do with the NBA's salary structure and cap. So many teams are at or above the cap due to the Bird rule that trades have to have similar $$ amount coming back. Cap space is king in the NBA

Yup Tom is right it is the contracts. AD has a contract he can opt into next year at a lot of money that scared any contending team trying ot get him for a rental . Jscott is right should been done last year or the year before. This deal sucks. Espically with this braintrust drafting players.

Yup Tom is right it is the contracts. AD has a contract he can opt into next year at a lot of money that scared any contending team trying ot get him for a rental . Jscott is right should been done last year or the year before. This deal sucks. Espically with this braintrust drafting players.

I've heard both sides. I heard that some teams weren't interested because he is just a rental for the year and heard that some teams didn't want him because he might exercise his player option next year.

looks like the Pistons are about as classy of an organization as the Lions

From AD

If there’s one thing I learned about the NBA, there’s no friends or loyalty. I’ve given my heart and soul to the Pistons , and to be have this happen with no heads up makes me realize even more that this is just a business! I love you Detroit...

Sure why not just keep him then? This doesn't make them better.

looks like the Pistons are about as classy of an organization as the Lions

From AD

If there?s one thing I learned about the NBA, there?s no friends or loyalty. I?ve given my heart and soul to the Pistons , and to be have this happen with no heads up makes me realize even more that this is just a business! I love you Detroit...

I think the organization is shit show from top to bottom but Andre is being a child. Gores treated Andre like the superstar he wasn't for years. That's why we held on to him for so long until we could get nothing in return.

Sure why not just keep him then? This doesn't make them better.

2nd round pick and expiring contracts is better than getting nothing at all or getting stiffed with an extra year of a player that will ruin draft position.

The real fuck up was trading him at his lowest market value over two years. Keeping him is the only thing they could've done worse.

2nd round pick and expiring contracts is better than getting nothing at all or getting stiffed with an extra year of a player that will ruin draft position.

The real fuck up was trading him at his lowest market value over two years. Keeping him is the only thing they could've done worse.

How. 2 guys gone and a 2nd round pick that will never become a pro, most likely. Not sure how this makes us better. That's the NBA, trade a guy for nothing so we can lose more and get a better draft pick. They're basically telling teams that tanking is your best option.

How. 2 guys gone and a 2nd round pick that will never become a pro, most likely. Not sure how this makes us better. That's the NBA, trade a guy for nothing so we can lose more and get a better draft pick. They're basically telling teams that tanking is your best option.

Because it is. Like it or not, you get the vast majority of top players in the top 5. Somewhere the Pistons haven't picked since 2003.

When you're bad, you add to your stockpile of picks and expiring contacts. Add to the war chest so to speak. People don't seem to understand that the NBA doesn't work like other leagues and it hasn't for a long time. You don't do player for player deals that benefit both rosters very often. Hardly ever really.

Last edited:
Because it is. Like it or not, you get the vast majority of top players in the top 5. Somewhere the Pistons haven't picked since 2003.

When you're bad, you add to your stockpile of picks and expiring contacts. Add to the war chest so to speak. People don't seem to understand that the NBA doesn't work like other leagues and it hasn't for a long time. You don't do player for player deals that benefit both rosters very often. Hardly ever really.

But that was what they were trying to prevent with the lottery but their rules say otherwise. And it's unfortunate.

Last edited:
The other crime the front office did was to not unload anyone else. What is the point in keeping Rose?

But that was what they were trying to prevent with the lottery but their rules say otherwise. And it's unfortunate.

I think they did tweak the odds to discourage tanking, but the odds of a top 4 pick is still solid for the absolute bottom feeders even in the new format. if I?m a garbage team I?m still doing it as opposed to having the 10th-14th worst record.

1) The Pistons are not in position to make the playoffs this year.
2) Drummond is set to be a free agent this summer.
3) Drummond is not a core player on a good team.
4) Drummond was still, by far, the Pistons best player.
5) This team should have started rebuilding a decade ago.

I'm not seeing where getting a second round pick for essentially free is a bad deal. Drummond was gone in the summer and the team didn't need him to compete for anything this year. We took back no future salary, plus the second rounder. Drummond is NOT worth extending again.

Is this the lowest point of value for Drummond? Yes. Should the team have acted differently in the past to get more value? Yes. But was this better than keeping Drummond the rest of the year? Also yes.

Back