Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Erik Cole traded to Red Wings, as Detroit adds vital veteran

kmd47

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-as-detroit-adds-vital-veteran-014227898.html

Puck Daddy
Erik Cole traded to Red Wings, as Detroit adds vital veteran
Greg Wyshynski
By Greg Wyshynski 1 hour ago Puck Daddy

Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill knows the Detroit Red Wings quite well. He knows their general manager quite well. So Stars fans, in theory, should take a measure of solace in knowing that the two prospects Dallas is receiving in exchange for Erik Cole are ones their general manager is confident will blossom.

From the Free Press:

The Wings sent Mattias Backman, a defense prospect who quit Grand Rapids to go back home to Sweden this season, along with forward Mattias Jarnmark, a third-round pick from 2013, and a second-round pick to Dallas in exchange for Cole and and a third-round pick that reverts to Dallas if the Wings make it to the Eastern Conference Final this spring.

Cole, 36, is in the last year of a contract making $4 million this season. At 6-2 and 205 pounds, he adds size to the Wings' forward corps, and buys them some leeway should any of their young players be as quiet as they were in last year's very brief playoff run.

Mike Heika notes that Nill drafted Backman and was influential in scheming out the draft in which they took Janmark-Nylen.

As for Cole, Heika said Stars coach Lindy Ruff gave him a stamp of approval recently:

“Erik’s played very well,” Ruff said. “I think he’s played his best hockey this year, all around. I think some last year he was dealing with his injury. Little bit of up and down early in the year, but he’s put really last two, three months, been really consistent.”

So, all that said, what does the Milbury Scale say?

ONE MILBURY. Dallas gets a nice return for a player that wasn't going to be back, and Detroit gets a veteran insurance policy up front for a playoff run. One, however, that hasn't scored a goal in his last 34 playoff games. Ouch.

I don't know about him have 0 playoff goals in his last 34.... But I really like this deal. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Can't hurt I suppose. The prospects they gave up would have had a real fight to make this team anytime soon. But I don't know that it does very much.

I think it help especially if Helms injury is more severe than we think and if Franzen (big whoop) doesn't come back.... He has 18 goals this season.... Not bad at all.

I don't think the prospects we traded are considered more than bottom group guys anyway. Given the depth of forwards in the pipeline, these two may never have suited up for the Wings anyway. Cole makes sense as a player that knows how to put the puck in the net, and could add some punch on one of the lower lines. I don't expect the team will re-sign him, so it's very much a depth move leading up to the playoffs.

Back