Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ESPN article on Gattis' new offense

Great read -thanks!

I like Shea but I see Dylan really flourishing with Gattis.

Is anyone else less-than-enthused about this?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I am genuinely curious to know how others feel.

I mean, for a couple reasons I'm looking forward to 2019 about as much as I looked forward to RichRod's 3rd season or Hoke's 4th...

But this part of the article:

The 35-year-old Alabama co-offensive coordinator/wide receiver coach was in a position to be picky. He was on the heels of helping the Crimson Tide reach new, explosive heights on offense in 2018​
You could've written the same shit about Nussmeier... echoes of Charlie Weis's "Decided Schematic Advantage" or whatever buzzwords someone uses to sell themselves
Nick Saban planned to promote him to associate offensive coordinator, letting him plan the offense but bringing in a more experienced coach to oversee the operation. Several other schools already had called to offer him coordinator positions with no strings attached. He was getting ready to pack his bags after one season in Tuscaloosa.​
So Saban wasn't even ready to hand him the reins... and we're giving him everything he wants. And he hasn't even been doing this very long, and some large measure of his success is based on having superior talent. Looks like a Desperation hire.

Great read -thanks!

I like Shea but I see Dylan really flourishing with Gattis.

seeing if McCaffrey wins the starting job, is one of the few intriguing things about this team next year.

we haven't seemed to have a genuinely superior offensive athlete in a long time. he could help us overcome a lot of other weaknesses on that side of the ball under Harbaugh

Michigan just hasn't really had a star offensive player since maybe Mike Hart or Braylon Edwards it feels like. I guess you can maybe lump Shoelace in there, but he had the unfortunate position of playing under RichRods no defense approach. Our first round draft picks since 2005 have been defensive players or OL like Jake Long and Taylor Lewan.

I dont really care what the offense looks like as long as it produces. I will say I agree that I am excited to see McCaffrey as well.

Gattis was really good for PSU's pass game when he was coaching under Moorhead. I'm happy the offense is changing, but I don't expect much out of this season. There's a learning curve and right now every RB is hurt or suspended. Nico and DPJ are both hurt. They're going to have to get in the groove with the new offense through fall practice. Not good when installing a new system.

Our d-line depth is really thin. Ben Mason being put at DT, he weighs 254, is a bad sign. I think the loss of Bush is going to hurt the LBs a ton. Neither Ross or Gil can replace him. They can be fine, but they won't be as good. We're probably going to be relying on a true freshman, Dax Hill, to start at safety alongside Metellus. No clue who we play at nickel CB this year. Sounds like Brad Hawkins is the guy right now and that doesn't inspire excitement. He hasn't shown the quickness to match up with guys in the slot.

I'm expecting this season to be status quo. 9-3 or 8-4 and of course we lose to OSU. I see potential losses of @Wisconsin, @PSU, ND, MSU and OSU. Not saying we'll lose all of those, but I think at least three of them.

Last edited:
I think - given that paying players through intermediaries is de facto legal in the NCAA now - you can't win conference championships unless you have good coaching and you cheat.

OSU is going to dominate the conference for the foreseeable future. Because their alums go on to work in sleazy "cash heavy" industries like used car sales, small time building contracting, and tattoo parlors, they can afford to make the sort of SEC-sized "untraceable" cash payments to recruits and players that other Big Ten schools can't.

I think - given that paying players through intermediaries is de facto legal in the NCAA now - you can't win conference championships unless you have good coaching and you cheat.

OSU is going to dominate the conference for the foreseeable future. Because their alums go on to work in sleazy "cash heavy" industries like used car sales, small time building contracting, and tattoo parlors, they can afford to make the sort of SEC-sized "untraceable" cash payments to recruits and players that other Big Ten schools can't.

Can't argue any of this. All the national championship programs since 2000 are the sleaziest. OSU, Bama, Clemson, LSU, FSU, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn, USC, and Miami.

Back