Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ESPN: What the Pistons could get for the #1 pick

everyoneneedsasmil

The other day, ESPN proposed 5 different trades for the #1 pick. I think only one is legitimately worth taking, two are worth considering (under specific circumstances), and the other two are just trash.

The one worth taking:
OKC sends Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and the 6th pick for the 1st pick. Others can disagree, but Shai is already a star player. He's on a really bad team, but he's essentially what you'd hope Cade becomes in the first place. He's big (thin, but tall), he's a great shooter and slasher, and he passes like a true PG. I'll give that Cade maybe has higher upside, but honestly we would be happy for Cade to just be that good. Add the 6th pick, and there's not really anything to lose. This is an odd trade in that I think OKC wouldn't actually agree to it.

Worth considering:
Houston sends the 2nd, 24th, and our own protected future pick in exchange for the 1st and 37th picks. This is a trade we'd make if the front office really believes someone else the best player in the draft. And that's it. If they think Cade is still the best, this isn't enough to move down for the second best.

Cleveland sends the 3rd pick and Darius Garland for the 1st pick. Like above, you only do this if you think there's little to no difference between Cade, Mobley, Green, and/or Suggs. Garland is a legimately good player, but not a star. If you think Green/Suggs/Mobley have just as good a chance of becoming superstars as Cade, then Garland becomes a fair prize for moving down. But, if you think like me that Cade is in a tier of his own, nobody on the Cavs moves the needle.

Garbage trades to fill out the column:
Golden State sends James Wiseman, the 7th pick, the 14th pick, and an unprotected 2022 pick for the 1st pick. This just doesn't make any sense. The 2022 pick is going to be a late first even if they don't get Cade. The 14th pick would be lucky (and to be fair, we got two really good players last year in the teens) to be more than a bench role player. The 7th pick is a MASSIVE drop-off even from the 4th pick. And Wiseman? It's not even clear his game translates to the modern NBA - he can't shoot, or handle the ball, or defend at a high level. Maybe he makes huge progress, but that no longer seems all that likely. The reality is that teams need superstars to contend. Nothing from what GS is sending screams superstar.

Orlando sends the 5th pick, the 8th pick, and Chuma Okeke for the 1st pick. This draft drops off a cliff after #4. Not to say 5 and 8 won't be good players, but the superstar prospects end there. Trading a good chance at a superstar (Cade) for two bad chances at a superstar (5 and 8) plus a young nobody (Okeke) is just bad math. The Pistons aren't trying to fill out a roster around a cornerstone player. They are still looking for their cornerstone. We have a better roster, but are in really the same place as Orlando. If they want this trade, it means it's probably bad for us.

I think #1 and #2 are both worth taking IF the Pistons like Green better than Cade.

In scenario #2 the Pistons would be getting their guy plus 2 extra first round picks (most likely low to mid teens)

EDIT: the rumor I read was Pistons get #2, #23, Rockets own 2023 first, Pistons 2022 first all for the #1 pick.

Last edited:
Why would the Rockets give up all that if both players are worthy? If all these teams are willing to trade so much Cade must be something why pass on that?

Why would the Rockets give up all that if both players are worthy? If all these teams are willing to trade so much Cade must be something why pass on that?

Just like any draft in any sport, some teams fall in love with a player. Sometimes the guy that most people think is the best player in the draft doesn't pan out. I honestly have no idea who is going to be the best guy out of this draft. If the Pistons think it's Cade, take him. If they have Cade and Green as equals, take the Houston deal.

Just like any draft in any sport, some teams fall in love with a player. Sometimes the guy that most people think is the best player in the draft doesn't pan out. I honestly have no idea who is going to be the best guy out of this draft. If the Pistons think it's Cade, take him. If they have Cade and Green as equals, take the Houston deal.

I get that they could fail but my point was apparently all these other teams think Cade is better makes me believe he probably is..

I get that they could fail but my point was apparently all these other teams think Cade is better makes me believe he probably is..

there is usually some debate over who should be selected #1 overall. Very rarely it is 100%...probably not since Lebron. This year it seems like most people think Cade is the guy. I honestly don't care who they pick as long as it turns out that he is the right one. They can't screw this one up because this might be their only chance to get a superstar on the roster.

I think another positive in Cade's favor is how long he's been at the top. I only really follow prospects the year before their draft. But "draft guys" all have been projecting Cade as the top pick for almost 3 years. He's no flash in the pan. His skill has been apparent for years, and he's gotten better every year to stay ahead of the pack.

There's not a consensus guy at the top every year, but Cade IS. Those guys (Zion, Simmons, Davis, Irving, Griffin, Rose) all tend to be really good players. The only consensus guy I can remember failing is Oden, and it wasn't due to lack of ability. That's not to say those guys are always the best in their draft, but I'd be very happy for Cade to end up as good as any of those non-Oden guys.

I think another positive in Cade's favor is how long he's been at the top. I only really follow prospects the year before their draft. But "draft guys" all have been projecting Cade as the top pick for almost 3 years. He's no flash in the pan. His skill has been apparent for years, and he's gotten better every year to stay ahead of the pack.

There's not a consensus guy at the top every year, but Cade IS. Those guys (Zion, Simmons, Davis, Irving, Griffin, Rose) all tend to be really good players. The only consensus guy I can remember failing is Oden, and it wasn't due to lack of ability. That's not to say those guys are always the best in their draft, but I'd be very happy for Cade to end up as good as any of those non-Oden guys.

actually there was no consensus #1 prospect coming out of the 2020 senior HS class. Some had Cunningham, some had Green, and some had Mobley. But...all pretty much had those three guys

I mean is it a terrible thought to try and get future #1 picks and still stay in the top three ?
Is Cade really way better then Mobley or Green Or Sugg?

I mean is it a terrible thought to try and get future #1 picks and still stay in the top three ?
Is Cade really way better then Mobley or Green Or Sugg?

It's probably too big of a gamble for the GM. The safe route is take Cade and if he isn't the best player in the draft he keeps his job because he just says that he was the consensus #1 pick.

Trade the pick and Cade turns out to be a superstar, the GM loses his job.

The one worth taking:
OKC sends Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and the 6th pick for the 1st pick. Others can disagree, but Shai is already a star player. He's on a really bad team, but he's essentially what you'd hope Cade becomes in the first place. He's big (thin, but tall), he's a great shooter and slasher, and he passes like a true PG. I'll give that Cade maybe has higher upside, but honestly we would be happy for Cade to just be that good. Add the 6th pick, and there's not really anything to lose. This is an odd trade in that I think OKC wouldn't actually agree to it.

From what I understand via basketball news guy, Matt Babcock (don't know who he is), it was offered and decline by Detroit.

The Thunder offered the #6 pick and SGA for the #1 pick. Rumored that The Pistons counter offered that the Thunder throw in their unprotected first round pick for 2022, would be a top 10 pick.

Now if the Thunder, who have an insane amount of 1st round picks, something like 16 of them in the next 7 years can move up to Cleveland's spot and then offer the $3 and SGA for the #1 pick, that would mean the Pistons get Mobley and SGA for Cade.

Now SGA is already what you would hope Jalen Green could some day become. But he's also coming off an injury and due a max deal in a couple years.

At 22 years of age, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander averaged this last year 23.7-4.7-5.9 while shooting .508/.808/.418. SGA is 2 years younger than Devin Booker, a better shooter, and a better all around player IMO. Booker is a better pure scorer, that's all he does better than SGA.

The Thunder offered the #6 pick and SGA for the #1 pick. Rumored that The Pistons counter offered that the Thunder throw in their unprotected first round pick for 2022, would be a top 10 pick.

Now if the Thunder, who have an insane amount of 1st round picks, something like 16 of them in the next 7 years can move up to Cleveland's spot and then offer the $3 and SGA for the #1 pick, that would mean the Pistons get Mobley and SGA for Cade.

Now SGA is already what you would hope Jalen Green could some day become. But he's also coming off an injury and due a max deal in a couple years.

At 22 years of age, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander averaged this last year 23.7-4.7-5.9 while shooting .508/.808/.418. SGA is 2 years younger than Devin Booker, a better shooter, and a better all around player IMO. Booker is a better pure scorer, that's all he does better than SGA.

what if SGA decided he didn't want to sign an extension with the Pistons.

IMO, if they do trade (which I doubt they will), I don't think they can move out of the top 3

As of now I'm 99% sure they don't trade the pick.

The pick is in, Cade Cunningham will be the pick. No crazy offers came in.

It's the safe pick, Cunningham is going to be a star.

what if SGA decided he didn't want to sign an extension with the Pistons.

IMO, if they do trade (which I doubt they will), I don't think they can move out of the top 3

As of now I'm 99% sure they don't trade the pick.

Worse than that, rookie contract or in a year SG akes 30m.

Back