Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Evangelical Christians rejecting Jesus as "too liberal"

Michchamp

From The Department of "Wait, Why Are You A Christian Again?"

This is all almost too rich for my blood...

Newsweek:
Russell Moore, former top official for the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) who is now the editor-in-chief of Christianity Today, said during an interview aired on NPR's All Things Considered this week that Christianity is in a "crisis" due to the current state of right-wing politics.
"Multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching?'turn the other cheek'?[and] to have someone come up after to say, 'Where did you get those liberal talking points?'" Moore said.

"When the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ' ... The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak," he added. "When we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis."
NY Post sources the story from the same place, but adds more about the back and forth between Trump and Moore:
Moore is a longtime critic of former President Donald Trump and has blasted the ex-commander-in-chief for both his immigration policy of separating migrant families at the southern border and for his actions during the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.

In a 2016 tweet, Trump, the 2024 Republican presidential frontrunner, derided Moore as a ?truly a terrible representative of Evangelicals? and ?a nasty guy with no heart!?
To be fair to Trump, I don't think Biden has changed anything on the border, though you wouldn't know it from the deranged rants of people on the Right. But I don't see anything about Moore criticising Biden for doing the same thing. Maybe he has. If so, good for him.

The political views of the Right have been out-of-step with the teachings of Christ for decades though. You have to go through some pretty contorted interpretations of the literal teachings in the Bible to make it comport with cutting welfare for the poor, boosting welfare for the rich & cutting their taxes.

The Onion is all over this too, LOL.
?He fed 5,000 hungry people with five loaves and two fish when he could have easily just called the police and had them all tear gassed.?
He didn't institute means-testing to placate the Conservatives back in 30 A.D.! He just gave everyone there free food! GODDAMN Communist.

Back