Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Farewell, Bosom Buddy of the Stratford Inn

I have vague memories of that show, but they must have been re-runs, because it says it was on the air from '80-'82, and I would've been a bit young to remember it. maybe I just remember the intro? two guys in drag walking? was that it?

They don't really make shows about that anymore, or like in Three's Company. Back then in the late 70's /early 80's was it like hard for straight single men to find their own places to live?

I have vague memories of that show, but they must have been re-runs, because it says it was on the air from '80-'82, and I would've been a bit young to remember it. maybe I just remember the intro? two guys in drag walking? was that it?

They don't really make shows about that anymore, or like in Three's Company. Back then in the late 70's /early 80's was it like hard for straight single men to find their own places to live?

No.

You may find this hard to believe, but back in those days, people were actually allowed to laugh at shit that was genuinely funny.

No.

You may find this hard to believe, but back in those days, people were actually allowed to laugh at shit that was genuinely funny.

Careful, you don't want the Woke Mob that is really a bunch of sleepwalking zombies building up toward the apocalypse to Cancel you!!!

No.

Did Bosom Buddies or Three's Company mock gays or transvestites for being who they are, or more like situational humor based on those identities? There's a difference.

I recently saw a quote from a English writer (can't remember his name) to the effect that the root of humor is satire, and satire is mockery aimed at the powerful; when that mockery is aimed at the weak or powerless, it's not satire but bullying.

That kinda seems like the distinction I'd make when a bunch of people in the majority (i.e. heterosexual &/or not-transgender males) decide to play the victim after they pick on trans-gender people and get called out for being assholes.

I didn't see any of Chappelle's videos in question, and I wonder if anyone here actually did; but to the extent he was mocking transgendered people in a mean way, for their own identity, or lack thereof, - something out of their control - that's just bullying and people were right to call it out.

I didn?t see it yet either.

Some have the perspective that if a person is of the opinion that actual sex change isn?t a scientific reality and choose to voice that opinion, they find themselves bullied by a monolithic power who would render those views unspeakable.

If a guy thinks he?s a chick or a chick thinks she?s a guy, why should that person worry if somebody they don?t even know it does not agree?

Last edited:
I didn?t see it yet either.

Some have the perspective that if a person is of the opinion that actual sex change isn?t a scientific reality and choose to voice that opinion, they find themselves bullied by a monolithic power who would render those views unspeakable.

If a guy thinks he?s a chick or a chick thinks she?s a guy, why should that person worry if somebody they don?t even know it does not agree?

Probably not, but I also don't think Dave Chappelle is just "voicing an opinion" here. He's on stage doing an act.

Back