Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ferguson, MO

Is this highway patrol guy taking questions from the protestors at a news conference? WTF.

The Governor of Missouri brought in the Highway Patrol to assist in law enforcement, as he felt that the community would be more neutral them as opposed to the anger there is against the local police department.

This guy Ron Johnson is claiming that he's from Ferguson himself. Maybe that's why he's talking.

Plus I think he's black.

The Governor of Missouri brought in the Highway Patrol to assist in law enforcement, as he felt that the community would be more neutral them as opposed to the anger there is against the local police department.

This guy Ron Johnson is claiming that he's from Ferguson himself. Maybe that's why he's talking.

Plus I think he's black.

EDIT: There is also an amount of community anger toward the local Sherriff's Department, St. Louis County Sherriff's Department.

EDIT AGAIN: Ha...I hit the "quote" button rather than the "edit" button...

Last edited:

Plus I think he's black.

No, I get that. What I"m saying is that he's taking questions from protestors at a news conference. I don't think I've ever seen that before. He's letting them ramble off 2-3 minute long questions.

No, I get that. What I"m saying is that he's taking questions from protestors at a news conference. I don't think I've ever seen that before. He's letting them ramble off 2-3 minute long questions.

Yeah, things have been pretty heated there; I guess they wanna avoid pissing anybody off as much as they possibly can.

odd it took them almost a week to say Brown was a suspect in a robbery.

there's a gap in time and distance between when the robbery occurred and when he was shot.

"Ferguson police chief Thomas Jackson, who took no questions at a news conference Friday morning, described Wilson as a six-year veteran of the force with no disciplinary record."

if you read the thread in the Daily Beast, the attorney currently suing the Ferguson PD over civil rights violations would probably tell you he has no disciplinary record simply because for years the Ferguson PD did not record or store complaints... he LITERALLY did not have a disciplinary record.

Well, now they say he robbed a convenience store and roughed up the clerk for some cigars right before his "murder". Supposedly the cop knew this, so I guess any kind of resistance or force on the kid's part would result in a harsh response from the cop, but I'm failing to understand why he kept shooting Brown.

The one shot might have been extreme, depending on the circumstances, but he wasn't killed and supposedly either ran away or tried to surrender (depending on who you believe). If the officer had not continued to shoot, he'd still be alive and this wouldn't even be a story. Perhaps a local story, but nothing like it is now.

well, they released information on Brown himself, but still haven't released any information about the shooting, an autopsy, etc.

In another week they're issue a press release that the autopsy results are "missing" from their files, and - oops - Brown's body has been cremated. paperwork screw up. these things happen.

odd it took them almost a week to say Brown was a suspect in a robbery.

there's a gap in time and distance between when the robbery occurred and when he was shot.

"Ferguson police chief Thomas Jackson, who took no questions at a news conference Friday morning, described Wilson as a six-year veteran of the force with no disciplinary record."

if you read the thread in the Daily Beast, the attorney currently suing the Ferguson PD over civil rights violations would probably tell you he has no disciplinary record simply because for years the Ferguson PD did not record or store complaints... he LITERALLY did not have a disciplinary record.

There were rumors that he'd stolen some candy almost immediately after his death, but not cigars. I'm pretty sure it was him, though.

michael-brown-ferguson-shooting.jpg

140815-surveilance-videostills-mn-1100_0_04698ffe1096e69e4d6c203e833bd8f1.nbcnews-ux-720-800.jpg

The shirt and shoes are exactly the same. Not sure what's on his legs (maybe the cover that is half off?) but you can see the top of his shorts are the same type as in the robbery pictures.

I'm not saying the robbery justifies a killing, but if the cop knew he fit the description of the robber and Brown put his hand or arm in the cop car (as police said has happened) then I think it justifies the officer being jumpy. I don't think he deserved to be shot so many times, especially after it seemed like he surrendered, though. It seems the first shot was enough and Brown should have been arrested. Really wish there was a video.

There were rumors that he'd stolen some candy almost immediately after his death, but not cigars. I'm pretty sure it was him, though.

michael-brown-ferguson-shooting.jpg

140815-surveilance-videostills-mn-1100_0_04698ffe1096e69e4d6c203e833bd8f1.nbcnews-ux-720-800.jpg

The shirt and shoes are exactly the same. Not sure what's on his legs (maybe the cover that is half off?) but you can see the top of his shorts are the same type as in the robbery pictures.

I'm not saying the robbery justifies a killing, but if the cop knew he fit the description of the robber and Brown put his hand or arm in the cop car (as police said has happened) then I think it justifies the officer being jumpy. I don't think he deserved to be shot so many times, especially after it seemed like he surrendered, though. It seems the first shot was enough and Brown should have been arrested. Really wish there was a video.

there's usually a protocol in effect for when officers can use deadly force, and nothing about this case seems to justify it. Stealing cigars/shoplifting is usually a misdemeanor. If this was strong-arm robbery, maybe that's a felony in MO. Felony + fleeing and evading police may justify a shooting. But I think that's also usually if a deadly weapon is involved. And regardless... good - or at least competent - police work is supposed to resolve problems with a minimum of bloodshed & use of force.

Hopefully, the State Police &/or FBI release information from their investigations. I don't think the Ferguson PD is particularly competent or trustworthy... as pretty much everything they've done since last Friday has demonstrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're starting to see more local police with SWAT gear, tanks, and other militarized equipment. When these guys start dressing like an occupying army they'll start acting like one too. they're like a kid with a new toy, they want to use it.

like it was pointed out, shocking the tea party or cliven bundy assholes don't have a problem with this. the police are treating citizens like enemy combatants. hell, they should have a huge problem with stop and frisk too, i wonder why they don't?

WTF is CNN doing? Don Lemon just interviewed some girl who claims that Darren Wilson maced her about a month ago (didn't say why) and she ran into the quick mart to get something to clean out her eyes. They told her to use milk and she tried to use milk, but Wilson told her that if she did that, she'd be arrested. So, he put her in his car and turned the "err" on to help her eyes clear out. Then, he barbarically put her in handcuffs and made her sit on the concrete while he ran her info.

First of all, way to just let any story get out there without verifying it first. Second, what is this chick complaining about? I don't know why she got maced, but I would guess any cop in America would be pissed if she ran away from them after being confronted. Again, I don't know why she was maced.

They keep talking to all these protestors who really have no idea what the fuck they're talking about and are only parroting what they've heard from others. Way to spread more misinformation, CNN.

I'd prefer they give the facts and what has been said by relevant people in this case. But, they seem unable to resist talking to any idiot that wants to vent.

you're starting to see more local police with SWAT gear, tanks, and other militarized equipment. When these guys start dressing like an occupying army they'll start acting like one too. they're like a kid with a new toy, they want to use it.

like it was pointed out, shocking the tea party or cliven bundy assholes don't have a problem with this. the police are treating citizens like enemy combatants. hell, they should have a huge problem with stop and frisk too, i wonder why they don't?

Well, I think that police should have these things, but only should be used in extreme circumstances. I would say that the first night of looting would be a good reason. HOWEVER, it's clear that these police aren't properly trained to handle these situations in the correct manner using all of this military equipment. Attacking innocent people and news crews is something that should never happen and obviously it did happen.

what they need to do is release all dashcam/mic video and audio that they have, including his communication with dispatch prior to the shooting. I think it'd help...or hurt them depending on what is found.

In a town of 20,000 people that hadn't had a single homicide all year? Why should they have these things?

Maybe not, but those riots show the potential for violence. Graffiti that says the only good cop is a dead cop and kill the pigs also supports it. I feel for the kid's family, but if there was no rioting or looting on night one, the military equipment would have stayed on the shelf.

Maybe not, but those riots show the potential for violence. Graffiti that says the only good cop is a dead cop and kill the pigs also supports it. I feel for the kid's family, but if there was no rioting or looting on night one, the military equipment would have stayed on the shelf.

Rioting and looting is opportunists from St. Louis, which is only 12 miles away. St. Louis is a big enough place to have some riot cops to send, but that means shields and batons, not tripods on armored vehicles.

Rioting and looting is opportunists from St. Louis, which is only 12 miles away. St. Louis is a big enough place to have some riot cops to send, but that means shields and batons, not tripods on armored vehicles.

i don't disagree. Do we know that the looters were from stl? Also, an armored vehicle protects against fire bombs and bullets (police say they were shot at). I think the weaponry was excessive. The defensive equipment was not.

Do we know that the looters were from stl?

I don't recall where I saw it, but I saw somewhere a local was saying that one of the first things they wanted people to understand was that the looters weren't from Ferguson and they didn't care about the protests, they were just opportunists.

Doing as search, the 1st list I found lists 9 people that were charged, 3 from St. Louis, 5 from St. Louis County, 1 from Dallas. I don't know if they would specify Ferguson vs. St. Louis County. You'd think they would since they specified St. Louis. Either way, way more than 9 people were arrested, so that's just a start.

This article has this quote: "Ferguson Mayor James Knowles III and Chief Jackson told News 4 they are confident the people who rioted Sunday night are from Jennings and Dellwood, not Ferguson. "

http://www.kmov.com/special-coverage-001/Reports-Ferguson-protests-turn-violent-270697451.html

So, you're hearing that from people you expect to hear that from, but I do tend to believe there's some truth to it.

Doing as search, the 1st list I found lists 9 people that were charged, 3 from St. Louis, 5 from St. Louis County, 1 from Dallas. I don't know if they would specify Ferguson vs. St. Louis County. You'd think they would since they specified St. Louis. Either way, way more than 9 people were arrested, so that's just a start.

It might be because they from an area of St. Louis County that is unincorporated; it isn't Ferguson nor any other incorporated municipality within the county.

Or it might be that they were from Podunk little bergs in St. Louis County that the media source simply didn't deem worthy of specific mention.

And the riots/looting continues...

Meanwhile, a white 20 year old killed for stupid reasons in Utah. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/...ah-man-because-he-wouldnt-comply-with-orders/

there was a tech guy in San Fran who got the shit kicked out of him by police and arrested (with no charges filed or maybe dropped immediately) for literally no reason. He started a blog to chronicle police misconduct and abuse, and gave up after a couple months.

nationwide there are several incidents every day, and shootings happen on an almost weekly basis.

some police departments seem to operate that no threats or risks to their officers are acceptable, and therefore deadly force is justified in almost all situations. It's really quite insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back