Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

First openly gay athlete

He's being recognized as a pioneer. He's the 1st to come out and is hopefully leading the way for others. This is almost like Jackie Robinson for the gay community, just not as effective because he isn't as good. Imagine if Carmelo Anthony came out. Imagine the razzing from fans and players. It would be just as bad as the racism Robinson and the other pioneer african-american player endured. It's a big deal.

He's being recognized as a pioneer. He's the 1st to come out and is hopefully leading the way for others. This is almost like Jackie Robinson for the gay community, just not as effective because he isn't as good. Imagine if Carmelo Anthony came out. Imagine the razzing from fans and players. It would be just as bad as the racism Robinson and the other pioneer african-american player endured. It's a big deal.

It's nothing like Jackie Robinson for several reasons. There was/is no institutional effort to prevent gays from playing professional sports. There are no "gay" and "straight" water fountains. There was never a parallel professional Gay-B-A where it was evident that gays were as good a straights but were not welcome in the league. And the pioneering has already been completed by the large acceptance of gays in society in general. We have gay soldiers, CEOs, and politicians. Even TV characters. That clinches it! Corporate America markets gay! What's the rumpus of being a gay athlete in "2013?" Martina Navratilova kinda already stole Collins's thunder, years ago, and there was not much of a splash about it. Had Collins come out in 1965, he could considered a true pioneer. To me, he's just leveraging the times. And about us patting ourselves on the back for being so accepting. We need to pat ourselves on the back too much these days. It's not healthy.

This guy to jackie Robinson? :lmao:

This guy isn't a pioneer at all. He's just a guy who came out, nothing more.

I also agree with what Byco said " It's the ultimate expression of love--not the sex, but the outcome--our children."

I always thought my sister was selfish, being married for 20+ years and always said she never wanted Children and never did. Its a shame.

It's nothing like Jackie Robinson for several reasons. There was/is no institutional effort to prevent gays from playing professional sports. There are no "gay" and "straight" water fountains. There was never a parallel professional Gay-B-A where it was evident that gays were as good a straights but were not welcome in the league. And the pioneering has already been completed by the large acceptance of gays in society in general. We have gay soldiers, CEOs, and politicians. Even TV characters. That clinches it! Corporate America markets gay! What's the rumpus of being a gay athlete in "2013?" Martina Navratilova kinda already stole Collins's thunder, years ago, and there was not much of a splash about it. Had Collins come out in 1965, he could considered a true pioneer. To me, he's just leveraging the times. And about us patting ourselves on the back for being so accepting. We need to pat ourselves on the back too much these days. It's not healthy.

I knew there was a reason I liked you Byco. Spot on and eloquent too.

All I know is that I would hit CVS and pick me up some soap on a rope.

No so hard to answer when you introduce God's opinion on the matter. The whole point is that sex is a gift from God that is reserved for married couples to participate in the wonder of procreation. He invites us to be a part of creating new life, conceived from love. It's the ultimate expression of love--not the sex, but the outcome--our children. That's the idea: and we abuse that gift in many ways, unfortunately, which is, to God, sinful. One of them is in same-sex sex, if you will, because new life can never result from it.

Are married heterosexual couples no longer allowed to boink after the wife has gone through menopause?

No so hard to answer when you introduce God's opinion on the matter. The whole point is that sex is a gift from God that is reserved for married couples to participate in the wonder of procreation. He invites us to be a part of creating new life, conceived from love. It's the ultimate expression of love--not the sex, but the outcome--our children. That's the idea: and we abuse that gift in many ways, unfortunately, which is, to God, sinful. One of them is in same-sex sex, if you will, because new life can never result from it.

Well that's one interpretation of god's opinion. My own personal interpretation of god's opinion is that he/she/it probably doesn't give two sh!ts.

Last edited:
I thought blasphemy had to do with accusing the Holy Spirit of being Satan.

I thought we just went over all that not too long ago.

I thought blasphemy had to do with accusing the Holy Spirit of being Satan.

I thought we just went over all that not too long ago.

Well there's venial blasphemy, mortal blasphemy, and original blasphemy - Come on, get with the program here.

Are married heterosexual couples no longer allowed to boink after the wife has gone through menopause?

What are you, a Pharisee? Is the married couple doing anything unnatural to prevent the possibility of children resulting from sexual relations?

The point is to be open to the possibility of creation, and not to do anything to circumvent it.

Back